How to raise ph without alkalinity

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just run some buffer solution? Unless you live in an R30 insulated house, never go outside, and have 40 cats outside plumbing your skimmer outside is not gonna do much.

.... ive read your comment a few times.. and it doesn't make sense to me. I would say the wall sealing has more to do with keeping the carbon dioxide in a house, versus the actual r value of the insulation. lol

however bringing in outside air to reduce the carbon dioxide in the house absolutely helps a majority of people out there suffering from low ph. Some reefers see a massive increase. Everyones situation is definitely different. I just wouldn't say it wont help anything...

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.... ive read your comment a few times.. and it doesn't make sense to me. I would say the wall sealing has more to do with keeping the carbon dioxide in a house, versus the actual r value of the insulation. lol

Seen quite a few indoor air assays and only houses with high R had any real issues. Not because of the insulation but because they tend to be tightly sealed and a lot are foamed in. Even then most homes have HRVs.

If your indoor CO2 is over 1500 I would be more worried about myself than my fish.

It makes a difference but it’s not going to make a 1 pH difference unless something is very wrong.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I keep having low Ph 7.5 to 7.7 but the alkalinity is is 10.5. Any suggestions welcome
often in a given tank the pH is determined by both the alklinity and cO2 levels in your water as alk at times works as a stimulant to increase pH in water. I would look at your alk levels and see where they are at. Adding baking soda to sump will raise ph and slightly raise alk and adding a refugium is also a sure bet

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seen quite a few indoor air assays and only houses with high R had any real issues. Not because of the insulation but because they tend to be tightly sealed and a lot are foamed in. Even then most homes have HRVs.

If your indoor CO2 is over 1500 I would be more worried about myself than my fish.

It makes a difference but it’s not going to make a 1 pH difference unless something is very wrong.

If you have a house that is using spray foam, then you may find an ERV/HRV more prevalent. However depending where you are state wise, they aren't common construction practice and are usually more an add on item or more a custom builder upgrade item. however the concept is still there that bringing in outside fresh air wether plumbing your skimmer to outside or having a house exchanger with HRV/ERV is beneficial. not only for your tank but general health as well. co2, radon etc.

I cant say if it will make a 1+- difference, but it sure can make atleast a .5+- difference in my own experience. Saturated lime water can absolutely help the difference.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats your magnesium at?

FWIW, I don’t think that magnesium at any level will cause low pH if alkalinity is not excessively low.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back