How to remove a fish?

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a two spot candy hogfish I want to remove. I know it won't be easy. Any tricks out there?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait until the room and tank have been dark for a couple of hours. Using a small flashlight, find the fish and shine the light into its eyes. The light will mesmerize the fish making it pretty easy to net.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait until the room and tank have been dark for a couple of hours. Using a small flashlight, find the fish and shine the light into its eyes. The light will mesmerize the fish making it pretty easy to net.

if you have a strobing light it works even better

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish Trap is the best method IMHO. You can either make one out of something like an Aquafina or Dasani Water Bottle and place a small dollar store mirror at the back of it or you can invest in something like this from Amazon or BRS:

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always try fish traps first.....if I can't get it that way I resort to the lights on method. Wait until the tank has been in total blackness for a couple of hours and turn the tank lights on. Fish are stunned to the point where you can reach in and pick them up. As stated previously, you have to know where the fish "sleep" though.

OP
OP
BigHildy53

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the ideas. I've ordered a fish trap. In the mean time, I will see if I can figure out where the fish sleeps. The fish may go to bed later than I do...:)

OP
OP
BigHildy53

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the Sea Side Aquatics large trap. It was easy to assemble. If I was quick enough I would have caught the hogfish almost immediately. I put it in without the door trap initially, in the corner the hogfish visits most often. Almost immediately the fish checked it out. Then I missed him another, and hope I didn't scare him away from the trap. If I wanted to catch my magnificent rabbitfish or one of the tangs, it would be easy. They go after the mysis shrimp first.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the Sea Side Aquatics large trap. It was easy to assemble. If I was quick enough I would have caught the hogfish almost immediately. I put it in without the door trap initially, in the corner the hogfish visits most often. Almost immediately the fish checked it out. Then I missed him another, and hope I didn't scare him away from the trap. If I wanted to catch my magnificent rabbitfish or one of the tangs, it would be easy. They go after the mysis shrimp first.

Usually takes a few days for them to get comfortable feeding from it, then it's a case of just waiting for the desired fish to be in there. Nice choice on the fish trap BTW, I have the smaller model (seen in the vid above) but still used it to catch a Yellow Tang about 4 inches in size. One word of caution though, the bands that hold it together can snap fairly easily so once you get it assembled leave it assembled. I broke a few putting mine together but haven't had a problem since leaving it assembled.

Last edited:

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the aforementioned methods are great if you have time on your hands.

In case there's some urgency, I've had to resort to draining 80% of my display tank water into tubs with a pump, catching the fish and then pumping the water back in. It's a pain and I'm sure it's not the best for your other, non-fish, livestock but it's the quickest way to catch anything and/or everything.

With an appropriately sized pump, I was able to perform this operation on my Reefer 525 in about 20 minutes, including netting 9 fish.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish trap. I’ve caught every fish I’ve ever had to with one. Takes a week or so for everybody to trust it and then it’s just a waiting game while feeding inside the trap. Just takes time.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a trap door box in the past where you pull fishing line to close it. It works. But sometimes they escape before the door closes.

This time around I picked up a small fish bowl, I zip tied a piece of pool noodle around it for buoyancy, I then zip tied a round side view mirror I had laying around inside the bowl and on to an old Mag Float. I drilled a hole in the top to insert a turkey baster for bait. Fish go in and I pull the exterior magnet and in less than a second they are trapped in the bowl on the surface.

There is a commercial model available called Tank Matez, which is the same thing, might be only slightly more expensive if you don't have all the parts laying around.

1578954037566.png

TankMatez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a trap door box in the past where you pull fishing line to close it. It works. But sometimes they escape before the door closes.

This time around I picked up a small fish bowl, I zip tied a piece of pool noodle around it for buoyancy, I then zip tied a round side view mirror I had laying around inside the bowl and on to an old Mag Float. I drilled a hole in the top to insert a turkey baster for bait. Fish go in and I pull the exterior magnet and in less than a second they are trapped in the bowl on the surface.

There is a commercial model available called Tank Matez, which is the same thing, might be only slightly more expensive if you don't have all the parts laying around.

1578954037566.png
Interesting!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%

Back