How to remove mushrooms...

databox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have this large assemblage of live rock that is glued together and not easily removed from the tank. Unfortunately it is being overran with the red mushrooms in the picture. Some of my favorite SPS are on the top of this rock and there already is some die off at the places the mushroom and SPS are touching.

My question is how can I effectively remove most of these mushrooms? I don't have a problem nuking them...they have spread everywhere, even my sump. Its a cool shroom...but enough already.

Any of the techniques used for aiptasia effective? I just don't want to harm my other corals.

Thoughts??
IMG_5838.JPG

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to know too... I've be scrapping them off the rocks, doesn't seem to kill them and they eventually grow back in other areas of my reef.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve *heard* you can feed them kalk paste like aiptasia, though I haven’t had to practice it yet. The only mushrooms in my DT currently (for this very reason lol) are ricordia and they haven’t gotten close enough to the SPS yet for me to declare war [emoji57]

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chisel , Sharp screwdriver and scrape the rock.

Aptasia x or kalk water if don’t like em.

Salty always has amazing ideas !

Well you might tick off the Sps with kalk or Aiptasia x but it’s colateral damage and they would come back .

If you are careful , it can be done !

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try using a razor and cut as close to the rock as you can. Put the mushrooms in a rubble basket and they will attach overtime so you can trade or sell. Then, apply kalkwasser to the left over tissue on the rocks so the mushrooms don't grow back and you limit the amount of kalk needed instead of applying a lot to one whole mushroom with a less likely chance to harm the SPS.

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can for sure inject mushrooms with saturated kalk to kill them. They have a bit more structure than an aiptasia, so they're actually pretty easy to kill that way.

@DSC reef 's recommendation is better by far though...

OP
OP
databox

databox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some aiptasia-X (or aiptasia breeding sauce, as I like to call it) left over. I think I'll give it a go first.

OP
OP
databox

databox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60ABE017-09FA-49F1-8654-C3FC64FB5B37.jpeg
40670D36-4FEF-4988-9111-28B0161F4908.jpeg
So Aiptasia-X so far seemed to work pretty well. Here’s a pic.

sideofabarn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use some bone cutters to get as much rock under the shroom. If I don't get much rock I put the shroom in a rubble filled container for a few weeks-works like a champ.

OP
OP
databox

databox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It removed probably 75-80% of them. Some I couldn't reach. They are slowly coming back though.

It's funny, every once in awhile I'll see a tiny mushroom drifting in the water column. I'm thinking...crap, where's he gonna land and start growing.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back