How to remove particles in LARGE tank?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off: I closed my entire sump (dosing, skimmer, chiller, and return pump) for 3 hours and there was absolutely no difference.

I’m positive it’s extremely fine particles.

Yes, I’m running filter socks. But they aren’t helping at all.

I purchased 3 of the marineland polishing filters with diatom powder. Although the filters were brown after a day, the particles remained. The filter didn’t have enough suction for my tank size and flow.

What can I do? How do large show tanks remove particles? My expectation is to have extremely clear water (from particles) to the point where the fish look like they’re flying through air.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of turnover do you have for this large tank through the mechanical filtration?

Next logical step is to unplug your wave makers one by one to see if one of them is creating micro bubbles.

My cross flow pump starts creating tiny micro bubbles when it's in need of being cleaned.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of turnover do you have for this large tank through the mechanical filtration?

Next logical step is to unplug your wave makers one by one to see if one of them is creating micro bubbles.

My cross flow pump starts creating tiny micro bubbles when it's in need of being cleaned.
About 1000gph.

Ok. I will do this now!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I closed all the wave makers. The return is creating surface agitation for now. I’m hoping this is the cause of my problems!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lost in the Sauce

I’m lost.

Here’s the rundown: I turned off all powerheads and left the return pump on. I could clearly see the microbubbles and junk coming from the return now that the powerheads in the DT were off.

I cleaned the main return pump and junk is still going through the plumbing into the DT.

I have a mixture of mainly junk of various sizes. I also have very very fine microbubbles, but I want to tackle one problem at a time.

I don’t know what the next step is.

Oh, I learned my return pump is 1800 gph. Not 1000. My tank is 250 gallons.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Try mesh filter socks or a hang on back power filter

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No homie I'm Lost. Only one of us can be Lost at a time.
@Lost in the Sauce

I’m lost.

Here’s the rundown: I turned off all powerheads and left the return pump on. I could clearly see the microbubbles and junk coming from the return now that the powerheads in the DT were off.
That's a good thing. That means you have narrowed the problem down.
I cleaned the main return pump and junk is still going through the plumbing into the DT.
Can you post up a picture of your sump/mechanical filtration?
I have a mixture of mainly junk of various sizes. I also have very very fine microbubbles, but I want to tackle one problem at a time.
They are likely related
Oh, I learned my return pump is 1800 gph. Not 1000. My tank is 250 gallons.

It may be rated for 1800, But once you add plumbing in any amount of head height, You aren't running 1800 anymore. Realistically if you haven't measured it / calculated it,you don't know what it is.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No homie I'm Lost. Only one of us can be Lost at a time.

That's a good thing. That means you have narrowed the problem down.

Can you post up a picture of your sump/mechanical filtration?

They are likely related

It may be rated for 1800, But once you add plumbing in any amount of head height, You aren't running 1800 anymore. Realistically if you haven't measured it / calculated it,you don't know what it is.
Ignore the skimmer. It overflowed when the sump level rose.

First enters into sock. Then skimmer. Then return.

4C3E57BF-102D-43B5-96BA-C1A30C7E1C27.jpeg
image.jpg
And look how “clear” the water near the return pump is.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ignore the skimmer. It overflowed when the sump level rose.

First enters into sock. Then skimmer. Then return.

4C3E57BF-102D-43B5-96BA-C1A30C7E1C27.jpeg
The micro bubbles are likely caused by outflow from your skimmer. I don't see a phone bubble trap before your return section. The return level also quite looks low to me giving bubbles less time to settle.

At this point go back to basics. Pull-A-Part and completely clean your skimmer and retune it.

A power filter is not a bad idea if you have a lot of errant solids in your water column.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t you ask this before in another thread? Might be good for people to follow the whole thing.

Did you ever change your filter socks to something like 100 micron vs your 5 micron.

So no skimmer, no power heads and you still have stuff flying around?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@workhz first, I made this thread to know about particles removal filtration. We got back into the other topic in my other thread, but that wasn’t my intention. It appears no amount of “bandaid” filtration will fix the underlying issue of how the particles are getting produced.

I believe that I do have nasties in my plumbing.

My skimmer cannot be causing this issue because I’ve kept it off for a week before and the problem persists.

My water level in sump is lower than average, but there’s nothing I can do about it because it will overflow if raised.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@workhz first, I made this thread to know about particles removal filtration. We got back into the other topic in my other thread, but that wasn’t my intention. It appears no amount of “bandaid” filtration will fix the underlying issue of how the particles are getting produced.

I believe that I do have nasties in my plumbing.

My skimmer cannot be causing this issue because I’ve kept it off for a week before and the problem persists.

My water level in sump is lower than average, but there’s nothing I can do about it because it will overflow if raised.
I'll dive into this again:).... Did you ever figure out exactly what the 'particles' are? Here we're talking about bubbles, before - in the other thread it was sand? BUT - some comments here gave me a new idea. Turn off your return pump and all of the rest (for a very short time). Then turn on one thing and wait. When you see the problem you will know 'whats causing it'. You will be able to see if its 'nasties in your plumbing' - (doubt), micro bubbles - possible, sand or whatever it is. If when you have only one piece of equipment on it never happens, try 2 pieces of equipment at once. etc etc. Until you at least can figure out 1)exactly what the particles are and 2) a possible fix. Maybe give this a try?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree ^.

If it is microbubbles, and looking at your sump, how high if the water level over the return pump? It could be creating a small vortex sucking in air and dumping into your tank. This is just one possible cause, but has helped reefers in the past. I know when my water level is getting low in my return section of my sump because of this.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MnFish1 @Billldg

Let’s do this. Okay. First step: I closed my ENTIRE system. Nothing is on. No return, powerheads, filters, etc.

Disclamer: earlier today I ran my 3 diatom filters and seachem clarity (floculant) I do notice the filters shoot out microbubbles.

Anyway: this is my system. It generally always looks like this (particle wise). Now, my system can stay off like this for a few hours. Tell me exactly how long I should leave my system off. I will make another update video before I open any pumps in order to see if any particles are remaining.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back