How to remove particles in LARGE tank?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MnFish1 @Billldg

Let’s do this. Okay. First step: I closed my ENTIRE system. Nothing is on. No return, powerheads, filters, etc.

Disclamer: earlier today I ran my 3 diatom filters and seachem clarity (floculant) I do notice the filters shoot out microbubbles.

Anyway: this is my system. It generally always looks like this (particle wise). Now, my system can stay off like this for a few hours. Tell me exactly how long I should leave my system off. I will make another update video before I open any pumps in order to see if any particles are remaining.

I would say, if it wasn't for the fact that is looks like is in the water column, that is was pods on the glass. That definitely looks like particles and not microbubbles.

Question, are you dosing or adding anything of the sort?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. I see a lot of small microbubbles rising and popping towards surface. But I got my macro lense and took a picture of a particle. I have many other “odd shaped” particles like these.

5353DF0F-0517-4B66-9CE9-38F0664751D5.jpeg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They way they were moving tells me its in the water column. It will likely not explain them all, but I would guess, 90 percent of them.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say, if it wasn't for the fact that is looks like is in the water column, that is was pods on the glass. That definitely looks like particles and not microbubbles.

Question, are you dosing or adding anything of the sort?
Ha! I’m not crazy!!! I knew they were particles.

The only thing I’m dosing is BRS 2 part calcium chloride and sodium carbonate (soda ash). It’s on an auto doser. I also add magnesium sulfate and chloride for my magnesium once a month to esure it’s around 1400ppm.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Billldg

Do you want me to get a closeup of the sandbed so I can lightly stir it and see if more of these particles come up?

I only used dry sand and I spent my time rinsing in in water before adding. I probably added the sand 3 weeks to 1 month ago.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! I’m not crazy!!! I knew they were particles.

The only thing I’m dosing is BRS 2 part calcium chloride and sodium carbonate (soda ash). It’s on an auto doser. I also add magnesium sulfate and chloride for my magnesium once a month to esure it’s around 1400ppm.
Its funny you bring up what you are using, as I in the process of typing why I was asking that question, as I also use BRS 2-part for both.

The only time I have seen such particles in my water column is when I clean, or disrupt the settled debris in my sump.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not talking about the big stuff, its the fine particles that collect in your sump due to precipitation and such.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@MnFish1 @Billldg

Let’s do this. Okay. First step: I closed my ENTIRE system. Nothing is on. No return, powerheads, filters, etc.

Disclamer: earlier today I ran my 3 diatom filters and seachem clarity (floculant) I do notice the filters shoot out microbubbles.

Anyway: this is my system. It generally always looks like this (particle wise). Now, my system can stay off like this for a few hours. Tell me exactly how long I should leave my system off. I will make another update video before I open any pumps in order to see if any particles are remaining.

So - to me - those do not look like micro bubbles ALONE - BUT - it could be very small micro bubbles attaching to debris and keeping it circulating. I think I mentioned - IMHO - those small diatom filters will probably not do much.

So - since you already know that you have microbubbles (as you said above) - the first step is to fix that. THEN see if the floating particles will be filtered out. There is a problem I your sump level is too low and you're still possibly having that overflowing problem. Do you have an LFS maintenance company that could come out and look at your system?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its funny you bring up what you are using, as I in the process of typing why I was asking that question, as I also use BRS 2-part for both.

The only time I have seen such particles in my water column is when I clean, or disrupt the settled debris in my sump.
I have a powerhead in my sump right next to my return pump

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - to me - those do not look like micro bubbles ALONE - BUT - it could be very small micro bubbles attaching to debris and keeping it circulating. I think I mentioned - IMHO - those small diatom filters will probably not do much.

So - since you already know that you have microbubbles (as you said above) - the first step is to fix that. THEN see if the floating particles will be filtered out. There is a problem I your sump level is too low and you're still possibly having that overflowing problem. Do you have an LFS maintenance company that could come out and look at your system?
What do you mean by “possibly still having the overflowing problem?

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I always say is to not do to many things at once, as, you may never know what the actual cause was when its fixed. I will let @MnFish1 help you as he is knowledgeable and can help you.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would put your 'pumps' back on. I would figure out where the micro bubbles are coming from - and I would fix the issue with your overflows - so the level near your return pump is adequate. Then - figure out what you want to use to filter the particles - whether filter socks, etc. If you don't have something to 'catch' the particles - and especially if there could be micro bubbles keeping things 'stirred up' - the particles will still be present.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I always say is to not do to many things at once, as, you may never know what the actual cause was when its fixed. I will let @MnFish1 help you as he is knowledgeable and can help you.
Wait. I never said I added it now. I placed it about a month ago because my sump was collecting a lot of brown detritus.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put your 'pumps' back on. I would figure out where the micro bubbles are coming from - and I would fix the issue with your overflows - so the level near your return pump is adequate. Then - figure out what you want to use to filter the particles - whether filter socks, etc. If you don't have something to 'catch' the particles - and especially if there could be micro bubbles keeping things 'stirred up' - the particles will still be present.
When you say you want the pumps back on. Do you mean only powerheads or do you want the entire system on?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What do you mean by “possibly still having the overflowing problem?
You said that the water level in your sump near the return pump is low - which could mean that your pump is pumping water out of the sump a little faster than the overflow is handling it (until the water level rises up in the tank - and more water flows down)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When you say you want the pumps back on. Do you mean only powerheads or do you want the entire system on?
I would put your system back on - and figure out where/why you have microbubbles. IMHO, you need to fix one thing first - and the micro bubbles are going to keep particles circulating - no matter what - so I would start there

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait. I never said I added it now. I placed it about a month ago because my sump was collecting a lot of brown detritus.
I meant not to do to many things at once because of several people telling you to do this and that. Its meant with the utmost respect in helping you solve the issue.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said that the water level in your sump near the return pump is low - which could mean that your pump is pumping water out of the sump a little faster than the overflow is handling it (until the water level rises up in the tank - and more water flows down)
I never said that. My system is balanced in that regard. My return pump isn’t even sucking air in. There is adequate water above the pump. Never vortex.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is the return pump (with the check valve). Another question: how can I eliminate the need for the check valve? The return tube (into the DT) creates a siphon. It’s near the surface of the water and the water will continue to flow back into the sump until the waterline dips below the tube in the DT, The tank will overflow if the check valve isn’t there.

I read something about making a hole to break the siphon? Where do I make this hole?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar problem in my DIY sump where skimmer microbubbles in water flowing over the low wall of the low/high bubble trap made it under the high wall. I solve the problem by adding a piece of porous foam at the opening at the bottom of the high wall bubble trap where the water enters the return chamber. If you have a powerhead in the return chamber, it will likely keep the microbubbles suspended long enough to get sucked into the return.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back