How to safely get rid of yellow zoanthids and green star polyps

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friends tank is completely overtaken by gsp and yellow/brown zoas. I want to know the best way to deal with them as they are everywhere, I will get a pic later to show. Trying not to use kalk paste as there are too many and burning not really an option with zoas and paly toxin. Rockwork is also completely glued together so no way to take it out piece by piece. Any suggestions?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If done gently, GSP grows on a kind of purple mat, Ive removed mine from rock previously by prying up and tearing the mat off and/ or using a stainless steel blade. That has always worked for me as far as GSP goes. Im not sure for zoas, but if it were me, id wear gloves and cut them off at the base as if I were trying to frag them and just dispose of them.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friends tank is completely overtaken by gsp and yellow/brown zoas. I want to know the best way to deal with them as they are everywhere, I will get a pic later to show. Trying not to use kalk paste as there are too many and burning not really an option with zoas and paly toxin. Rockwork is also completely glued together so no way to take it out piece by piece. Any suggestions?
If it was me, I would use the steel straw and siphon trick. This would keep all things submerged, no chance of fouling the tank and could be done a little at a time easily.

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is a good idea i will try that at first as it seems very safe. First i actually need to dremel a tremendous amount of monti cap and spongodes for him to even get into the tank

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back