how to sanitize an RODI unit

reef tank 2.0

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 12, 2021
Messages
760
Reaction score
323
Location
Cincinnati
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with my current tank build moving along, I think I am going to prep my old dry rock to begin cycling in a brute can. before I can do that, I need to get my RODI system up and running first. My RODI unit has been sitting for about 4 years. filters/media have been removed at the same time of shut down, so it's empty.
What is the easiest/best way to prep/sanitize this unit for use? (filters/media are being ordered now)
 
Maybe vinegar or bleach? Really may not even need sanitized as there shouldn't have been anything bad in it. Clean the canisters and new tubing if your concerned. Tubing is cheap enough I wouldn't even try to clean that.
 
All I did was get a new RO membrane since I didn't follow the storage procedure of adding preservative beforehand.
 
with my current tank build moving along, I think I am going to prep my old dry rock to begin cycling in a brute can. before I can do that, I need to get my RODI system up and running first. My RODI unit has been sitting for about 4 years. filters/media have been removed at the same time of shut down, so it's empty.
What is the easiest/best way to prep/sanitize this unit for use? (filters/media are being ordered now)
I would just rinse it all out and replace the filters. Run it for 10ish minutes before saving the water. (Run Output down the sink drain)
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 38.9%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new