How to separate nepthea from rock

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I've been having this Nepthea for over a year and it's grown quite tremendously, but it's attached itself to some rockwork that I would like to move and I'm wondering how can I remove it without damaging the coral, thanks!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can remove by gently pulling or cutting the nepthea off the rock. You can do it along the attachment or cut a clean stalk. Do this outside the tank. Just make sure to dip in iodine when done and put on some other rock or rubble to re-attach.

Also, when you add it back in, you will want to run carbon for a bit too if you do not already. It will probably slime and shed.

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can remove by gently pulling or cutting the nepthea off the rock. You can do it along the attachment or cut a clean stalk. Do this outside the tank. Just make sure to dip in iodine when done and put on some other rock or rubble to re-attach.

Also, when you add it back in, you will want to run carbon for a bit too if you do not already. It will probably slime and shed.
It's in a spot where I can't really take the rock out without removing another coral with it, I think that I'll just have to deal with it then. Unless that pulling it back from the rock is safe to do inside the tank, then I'll try that. Thanks!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do it in the tank depending. How large is it? Haw large is your system? Do you have a good way to run carbon effeciently?

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do it in the tank depending. How large is it? Haw large is your system? Do you have a good way to run carbon effeciently?
My tank is a 29DT, but 37 total volume. The coral is about 6 or 7" tall from the base. I run a bag of carbon and change it out monthly, but I also have carbon filter pads that I can throw in.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, you can peel the coral off the rock carefully. Once off, take it out and soak in lugols dip for 15 minutes. Do a small water change if you notice any slime.
Put the coral back where you want it (usually between two rocks to attach is best. Glues will not work nor rubber bands (very well).
After coral is back in, make sure you have fresh carbon, do a water change next couple days. Maybe 2-4g each day. Should be fine.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 55 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back