fish treatment

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Upvote 0

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Glad to have you!

There are lots of really knowledgable people in our community that may be able to help you with your question. It may be better to post in the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum to get the most response for your questions. Pictures are also encouraged. Click HERE to access that forum. :slightly-smiling-face:

Upvote 0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish have Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans) then you can use copper medications (preferably chelated copper which is less harsh on the fish, but meds like Cupramine work as well) or hyposalinity:
copper medication (chelated copper like Coppersafe or Copper Power at 2.25-2.5ppm for 30 days after the last ich trophonts disappear is recommended) or hyposalinity (drop your salinity to 1.009 and keep the tank at that salinity for 30 days after the last signs/symptoms of the disease disappear), neither of which are reef-safe. There is no effective, reef-safe treatment for ich at the moment (at least not one that I've heard of).

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!
Like said, copper medicines (ideally copper power or coppersafe) in qt are the way to go; followed by leaving the display tank fishless for 60 days.
Anything dosed to the display tank is either toxic to invertebrates or ineffective against ich.

Upvote 0

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!!

I really like copper power. However it will kill snails, crabs and coral. If you ever plan on keeping any of those you would need to set up a separate hospital tank to treat all your fish. As well as leave your main display tank empty of fish for 76 days.

There are a few guides on Reef2Reef about ich treatment. You can also start thread in the fish disease forum and receive a lot of help along the way.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
can some one tell me best white spot med for marine fish thanks
Some fish not tolerant but coppersafe which is a chelated and safer form. Other is hyposalinity at 1.009 which some fish too are not tolerant of

Upvote 0

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 24.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 59 26.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 54 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 53 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back