How to set up a Refugium

goldhopper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the hobby and have a few questions with regards to the setup. I am setting up a reef aquarium (220 gallons) from scratch. It is set up as an island where you see three sides. The reef aquarium is on the first floor of my house. The basement houses the Sump (150 gallons) which is directly below the reef aquarium on the 1st floor. The Sump is custom and sits on the top shelf. The bottom shelf has a 70 gallon custom tank for water changes which will be done in the sump.

The main pump is 6250 GPH (Dolphin). This is more than enough flow but I do plan on having it feed the charcoal and GFO reactors as well as the refugium. It also will pump water back to the 220 gallon tank which is 9 feet up.

The sump is set up the following way:

1) The over flow empties into the sump which flows to the socks and then to the skimmer section.
2) The skimmer section empties into the return section
3) Next to the return section is the Refugium section. The Refugium section fills up from the external pump which empties into the return section.

The first three sections (Overflow entry, Sock section, Skimmer section and Return Section) are opened so that they can be drained/filled for water changes. The Refugium was kept to the far right so that it would not be emptied during water changes.

I am currently doing the plumbing, curing rock and waiting on my custom holding tank.

Here is my questions:

1) I have read a lot about setting up a refugium. Would you recommend using miracle mud, Deep sand bed, Marine Pure Rock, Dry rock, Chaeto (or something else).

2) I have not started doing the initial cycle yet. BRS recommended doing a bleach cure but not an acid cure with Pukani Live Dry Rock which I am in the process of doing. Once it is cured and I start doing the initial cycling then I plan on keeping my skimmer off and lights off. Should the Refugium be set up during the initial cycling?

3) I have three overflows that are 1" each. Do I need to have one of them set up as an emergency overflow since my sump has plenty of room for any overflow. I am asking because if I can use all of the overflows then it will allow me to get 6-8 turns per house on my aquarium.

I had saltwater setups 20 plus years ago and wanted to get back into it. Things have changed a lot since the eheim cannister days. Is there anything else I need to be aware of or you recommend.

Thanks!

5.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow everything is looking amazing! The refugium setup is all up to you. If you're just looking for one where the only maintenance you do is remove some once a week, just do with chaeto. My personal setup is a thin layer of LR and as many species of macroalgae as I can find except for grape caulerpa (I am all about diversity and think the more the merrier as long as it can't be dangerous). It has been working well and keeps my nutrients down as well as is home to lots of pods.
Since you have 3 overflows I don't think you need an emergency drain, they are pretty much just for if an overflow pipe gets clogged but what is the chance all 3 will get clogged at once?

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just have macroalgae and maybe a little live rock in the refugium; I like dragon's breath and chaeto. I have also read about gracilaria and ulva being used; I'm not clear if my gracilaria in the display is outcompeting some of my other macros.

I went with live aquacultured rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater (rinse all of the pices in carbonated soda to get all of the crabs to come out!); I haven't done a dry rock setup in a long while.

I don't know enough about plumbing to answer your last question well

Back