How to set up second rodi unit

  • Thread starter Thread starter mlivvy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mlivvy

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
814
Reaction score
339
Location
RI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won an rodi last night at a local show and i'm planning on retiring my 15+ year old rodi. My wife suggested leaving the old rodi for the fridge. Will I be ok using a Tee at the waste water output for both units? I have a drain saddle currently under the sink.
 
Using it in limited capacity like a fridge will burn through filters rather quickly. Also 0 tds water isn't really good for drinking.
 
I’m removing the DI stage
I would suggest getting a RO pressure tank and plumb that in. It's quick and easy to do.

As far as the tee, yes but make sure you have one way valves installed.

Edit: You could also put a RO faucet output on your sink if you like good clean cooking/drinking water. It's becoming more common to do both.
 
Or don't retire it and just combine the 2 systems for one more efficient system and yes a 1 way t valve could switch you between fridge and tank. That's what I'm working on with a second unit that was given to me. Will be 8 stage soon
 
A tee for the drain is fine, with a check/one way valve on both ro drains. Without a reservoir tank for the fridge you will wait 10 minutes for a glass of water, and the line going to ice maker will be more prone to freeze because without the reservoir it will flow so slowly.
The other thing about the ro for fridge is when the unit first goes on tds is higher for first few minutes, until unit gets pressurized and it will only be on for a few minutes each time. This tds will settle in reservoir and build up over time. Imo if your source water isn’t that bad, or you run a whole house water filter, and a regular fridge filter gets you south of 50 ppm tds would go without ro for fridge.
 
Last edited:
Or don't retire it and just combine the 2 systems for one more efficient system and yes a 1 way t valve could switch you between fridge and tank. That's what I'm working on with a second unit that was given to me. Will be 8 stage soon

awesome idea. will look into this.
 
A tee for the drain is fine, with a check/one way valve on both ro drains. Without a reservoir tank for the fridge you will wait 10 minutes for a glass of water, and the line going to ice maker will be more prone to freeze because without the reservoir it will flow so slowly.
The other thing about the ro for fridge is when the unit first goes on tds is higher for first few minutes, until unit gets pressurized and it will only be on for a few minutes each time. This tds will settle in reservoir and build up over time. Imo if your source water isn’t that bad, or you run a whole house water filter, and a regular fridge filter gets you south of 50 ppm tds would go without ro for fridge.

good info thank you
 
Or don't retire it and just combine the 2 systems for one more efficient system and yes a 1 way t valve could switch you between fridge and tank. That's what I'm working on with a second unit that was given to me. Will be 8 stage soon

@Smoke-Town Hey i'm revisiting this idea. What stages did you add to the retired unit? I'm guessing 2 carbons and a sediment? Are you removing the membrane?
 
@Smoke-Town Hey i'm revisiting this idea. What stages did you add to the retired unit? I'm guessing 2 carbons and a sediment? Are you removing the membrane?

I got rid of the membrane and used all 3 of them for di resins (cation di, anion di, and mixed bed di).

From my main system, I removed the di from the end and used it for an extra carbon.

20221204_122258.jpg

So now it starts from bottom right at a sediment filter, then two 1 micron carbon blocks and a 0.5 micron carbon block on far left. Then up into 2 100gpd membranes. Then comes out and goes up into the 3 Di.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new