How to silence the sock compartment

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we can find a way to make this area quiet, my tank will be whisper silent.

Right now this is the only source of noise. How can we make this goal come true?

I personally don’t need 5 sock slots. I can cover the 2 closest with acrylic and silicone. That’s where the noise is coming from I think. Let’s see your ideas!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice when the 2 socks in the front get clogged, the noise is significantly reduced. When I change them out it’s very loud.

JebronLames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I'd try put some plastic canvas mesh 7 or 10 first on top of the socks holder or an egg crate if you don't have a plastic canvas available in your house.
If it's still has some noise, try put a filter pad on top of those sock's holder.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the difference from the polyester filter!

I’m considering the sock silencers now since they aren’t needed to be replaced. The tank is extremely quiet from a few feet away but it occasionally makes a splash sound.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I'd try put some plastic canvas mesh 7 or 10 first on top of the socks holder or an egg crate if you don't have a plastic canvas available in your house.
If it's still has some noise, try put a filter pad on top of those sock's holder.
I actually have egg crate and just now tried it but the results weren’t that good. It improved it, but not how I expected it to.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the difference from the polyester filter!

I’m considering the sock silencers now since they aren’t needed to be replaced. The tank is extremely quiet from a few feet away but it occasionally makes a splash sound.

I replaced my socks with filter baskets, but I remember the problem I had with the socks was the water falling from the plastic rim/handle thingy... I draped a piece of cloth over the handle so the water ran down that, rather than splash into the sump. I hope that makes sense, lol

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you could easily add some thin filter foam/pad over the top of the socks such as this

This won't get clogged quickl like a regular foam pad.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several companies sell silencers... Not recommending this one specifically, just posting for an example...

I agree with silencers. I've used them on 4" and 7" filter socks. Completely silent.
Thank you, friends! I didn’t know this existed and I ordered 5. :)

I saw a video on YouTube where someones socks compartment was 65 decibels and went down to 6 with these. :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back