How to start dosing/how to keep coral alive?

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon reef ish, no coral as of now, and when I picked up some a few months ago it basically just died. There were many problems with my tank back then, most of them solved to date, and I am still scared to get any coral at all, so if I do get them, how should I feed basic stuff like gsp zoas ect. And also, what do I dose, when do I dose, and why do I need to dose if I do need to.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing is to get into a consistent maintenance schedule. Are you making your own water? What test kits do you have on hand? Lighting? Parameters? Full tank shots are helpful. Dosing is only needed when water changes can’t keep up, it’s not needed now or maybe at all until you get enough coral. Only way to know when the time is right for dosing is through consistent testing.

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First you need
1. Hard Corals. If you have soft corals you probably don't need to dose and water changes will be fine.
2. An RODI Unit
3. A Hanna Alk Test Kit
4. Coraline algae growth
5. A refractometer and a DIY reference solution, see RHF's article
6. Lighting calibrated to your tank
7. Watch all of the Two-Part and Kalkwasser videos on BRS.
8. Watch the videos again.

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing is to get into a consistent maintenance schedule. Are you making your own water? What test kits do you have on hand? Lighting? Parameters? Full tank shots are helpful. Dosing is only needed when water changes can’t keep up, it’s not needed now or maybe at all until you get enough coral. Only way to know when the time is right for dosing is through consistent testing.
Currently making my own water, and am switching from tap to RODI very very soon, as soon as my paycheck comes in, so like December 15th or so.

Lighting is a oversized fluval fresh and plant with only blues and whites on.

params:

0 ammonia ( as far as I can see, but the ammonia test on api is pretty bad )

0 nitrites

10-20 nitrates :)

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First you need
1. Hard Corals. If you have soft corals you probably don't need to dose and water changes will be fine.
2. An RODI Unit
3. A Hanna Alk Test Kit
4. Coraline algae growth
5. A refractometer and a DIY reference solution, see RHF's article
I am a bit confused on the wording there, I have a hydrometer which works fine for me, plenty of coralline, covers about half my rocks fully and is slowly spreading, and am going to RODI as soon as possible,

as far as the alk test kit, is Hannah the only one or is there something manual out there, I have never trusted digital water param testing.

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a bit confused on the wording there, I have a hydrometer which works fine for me, plenty of coralline, covers about half my rocks fully and is slowly spreading, and am going to RODI as soon as possible,

as far as the alk test kit, is Hannah the only one or is there something manual out there, I have never trusted digital water param testing.
No, you can definitely use others. But many people find the Hanna digital super easy and accurate. I'm a little skeptical on the hydrometer but OK. IMO I would consider getting a refractometer. BRS has some great videos comparing all of the test kits. I would watch them and then pick.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna alk tester is great, I would get decent testing equipment and write down your parameters weekly after your water change. I would still get a refractometer, remember consistency is key. Once those parameters are consistent then start adding corals. What type of corals are you interested in and what is the age of the tank?

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you can definitely use others. But many people find the Hanna digital super easy and accurate. I'm a little skeptical on the hydrometer but OK. IMO I would consider getting a refractometer. BRS has some great videos comparing all of the test kits. I would watch them and then pick.
Thanks for the info :) I will consider going to refractometer, as the hydrometer did get stuck a while ago, and ever since then I have been skeptical about ho well it is really working.

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna alk tester is great, I would get decent testing equipment and write down your parameters weekly after your water change. I would still get a refractometer, remember consistency is key. Once those parameters are consistent then start adding corals. What type of corals are you interested in and what is the age of the tank?
sounds good, if multiple people think refractometer is the way to go than I will definitely consider it.

I really want gsp, I just love how easy it is to keep and how it flows :)

mother than that Mabye some zoas, nothing fancy.

tank is four months old, only really been balanced out for like a month or two though.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With corals, lighting and water parameters are most important.

I'm not sure ur light is right. The spectrum that a freshwater growth led light - even if you only use blue and white - is not the exact same match as the spectrums that a coral chlorophyll needs. BrSTV has a lot of good videos on Reef lighting and spectrum needs. I would suggest upgrading to a light specifically designed for reef.

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With corals, lighting and water parameters are most important.

I'm not sure ur light is right. The spectrum that a freshwater growth led light - even if you only use blue and white - is not the exact same match as the spectrums that a coral chlorophyll needs. BrSTV has a lot of good videos on Reef lighting and spectrum needs. I would suggest upgrading to a light specifically designed for reef.
I watched some of their videos, and have decided that if I am going to get a light I want it with my specified spectrum and stuff, so I am going to diy.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched some of their videos, and have decided that if I am going to get a light I want it with my specified spectrum and stuff, so I am going to diy.
Nice - good luck!

Keep in mind that intensity is equally important so whatever you DYI should also be able to adjust for that. A PAR meter should also help you get to the right ball park for your tank size.

Assuming you are going with LEDs there are actually a few good reef lights out there in the market that allows you to adjust individual spectrum and intensity to the specific setting you want if you don't want to spend the time and effort on an DYI project. However, if that's something you enjoy then by all means go for it - all the more power to you!

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice - good luck!

Keep in mind that intensity is equally important so whatever you DYI should also be able to adjust for that. A PAR meter should also help you get to the right ball park for your tank size.

Assuming you are going with LEDs there are actually a few good reef lights out there in the market that allows you to adjust individual spectrum and intensity to the specific setting you want if you don't want to spend the time and effort on an DYI project. However, if that's something you enjoy then by all means go for it - all the more power to you!
Yeah, I was thinking something like fluval line, they have good spectrum adjustment, however most reef lights have way to much white, so you end up wasting par, by Having to turn down different spectrums.

( and I am kinda looking for a diy project )

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an AI Prime, and it fits my needs perfectly. Took a while to find the right spectrums/intensity because of how customizable it is, but I could not be happier!
I would need 2 ais for the 40 breeder, and unfortunately $400 is a little bit hard to come by when you are under legal working age, and your parents hate your hobby.

but of course later in life I would love AIs and radions, that is just well, for later in life.

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would need 2 ais for the 40 breeder, and unfortunately $400 is a little bit hard to come by when you are under legal working age, and your parents hate your hobby.

but of course later in life I would love AIs and radions, that is just well, for later in life.
I understand that. During high school I stuck to a fluval 13.5, cause that’s all I could afford. Hang in there and don’t give up on your hobbies!

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that. During high school I stuck to a fluval 13.5, cause that’s all I could afford. Hang in there and don’t give up on your hobbies!
Only problem is, I cant seem to stick to small!

don’t think I will be giving up any time soon :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back