How to stop a RedSea Reef LED Mount sagging?

pude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently bought a few RedSea LED 90's and got the aluminium universal mounts to go with them, but have noticed that they keep 'sagging' and angling downwards. I have attached a couple of photos. I thought it was because the screw needed to be tighter, but when I tried to tighten it, I split the spacer in half... twice. Has anyone else had a similar issue or have a solution? Feels awful to purchase these mounts and they can't even stay upright.

IMG-8338.jpg
IMG-8340.jpg

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what my wife's is doing and so far no luck n stopping it but am still looking. I'm thinking calling the source but will b following u too

OP
OP
P

pude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what my wife's is doing and so far no luck n stopping it but am still looking. I'm thinking calling the source but will b following u too
I am about to reach the point of calling the LFS but I really like the look of the mounts so I would love to keep them. I am going to try and squeeze a wedge of rubber into the joint to try and hold it that way.

OP
OP
P

pude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you end up figuring this out? One of mine just started doing this too. :confounded-face:
I did, but I didn't... My solution was to keep tightening the screw on the top until it held itself up. In doing this, I exploded two plastic spacers because of the pressure being applied by the screw. Thankfully I had spares from other RED Sea mounts I could use, but that shouldn't be the solution. In my opinion it comes down to awful design choice using a thin plastic spacer.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually angled mine like this on purpose. I have them slightly forward of the middle of the tank and angled backwards. I did have to tighten then a lot to get them to stay where I wanted.

toddie6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got so tired trying to find a fix for this mount so I typed it into chatgpt

Building a mounting bracket arm for a Red Sea LED light for your aquarium can be a customized and rewarding project. Here are some general instructions to help you get started:

1. Gather the materials: You will need a sturdy metal rod or pipe, mounting brackets or clamps, screws, nuts, washers, a measuring tape, a drill, and appropriate tools for cutting and shaping metal.

2. Determine the required length: Measure the distance between your aquarium and the desired height for the LED light. Add a few extra inches for adjustment and flexibility.

3. Cut the metal rod: Using a suitable cutting tool, carefully cut the metal rod to the desired length. Ensure smooth and even edges.

4. Attach mounting brackets or clamps: Depending on your chosen design, secure the mounting brackets or clamps to the metal rod at appropriate intervals. Use screws, nuts, and washers to fasten them securely.

5. Mark the mounting points: Hold the assembled bracket arm in position above the aquarium, aligning it with the mounting points on the aquarium and the LED light fixture. Mark the positions for drilling holes on the mounting brackets and the aquarium hood or stand.

6. Drill holes: Use a drill to create holes at the marked positions on the mounting brackets and the aquarium hood or stand. Ensure the hole sizes match the screws or bolts you'll be using.

7. Attach the bracket arm: Place the bracket arm in position on the aquarium, aligning the holes on the mounting brackets with the holes on the aquarium hood or stand. Insert the screws or bolts through the holes and fasten them securely using appropriate tools.

8. Adjust and test: Adjust the bracket arm's position and angle as needed to achieve the desired lighting coverage for your aquarium. Ensure that the arm is stable and the LED light is securely attached.

Remember to take safety precautions while working with tools and materials. If you are unsure about any step, it's best to consult a professional or someone experienced in metalworking for guidance.

toddie6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got so tired trying to find a fix for this mount so I typed it into chatgpt

Building a mounting bracket arm for a Red Sea LED light for your aquarium can be a customized and rewarding project. Here are some general instructions to help you get started:

1. Gather the materials: You will need a sturdy metal rod or pipe, mounting brackets or clamps, screws, nuts, washers, a measuring tape, a drill, and appropriate tools for cutting and shaping metal.

2. Determine the required length: Measure the distance between your aquarium and the desired height for the LED light. Add a few extra inches for adjustment and flexibility.

3. Cut the metal rod: Using a suitable cutting tool, carefully cut the metal rod to the desired length. Ensure smooth and even edges.

4. Attach mounting brackets or clamps: Depending on your chosen design, secure the mounting brackets or clamps to the metal rod at appropriate intervals. Use screws, nuts, and washers to fasten them securely.

5. Mark the mounting points: Hold the assembled bracket arm in position above the aquarium, aligning it with the mounting points on the aquarium and the LED light fixture. Mark the positions for drilling holes on the mounting brackets and the aquarium hood or stand.

6. Drill holes: Use a drill to create holes at the marked positions on the mounting brackets and the aquarium hood or stand. Ensure the hole sizes match the screws or bolts you'll be using.

7. Attach the bracket arm: Place the bracket arm in position on the aquarium, aligning the holes on the mounting brackets with the holes on the aquarium hood or stand. Insert the screws or bolts through the holes and fasten them securely using appropriate tools.

8. Adjust and test: Adjust the bracket arm's position and angle as needed to achieve the desired lighting coverage for your aquarium. Ensure that the arm is stable and the LED light is securely attached.

Remember to take safety precautions while working with tools and materials. If you are unsure about any step, it's best to consult a professional or someone experienced in metalwork

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back