How to successfully keep SPS Corals!

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tip that I feel is very usuful is to invest in a good RO/DI unit with a reliable TDS meter. It will pay for its self months to come and YOU KNOW that your water is clean. You know the source and it's always available.

JMacedo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan things ahead, schedule dosings, maintenance, changes and so. Keep track of everything. It will help understanding changes and mistakes also will help keeping things stable.

If you rely on Hanna Checkers do not forget that some of them need to be tested against a reference solution and calibrated! I almost had a tank crash as I didn´t realize how far off my 2 year old Alk checker was. Thankfully the coraline algae told me about the problem before it was too late! ;)

plan.JPG

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Plan things ahead, schedule dosings, maintenance, changes and so. Keep track of everything. It will help understanding changes and mistakes also will help keeping things stable.

If you rely on Hanna Checkers do not forget that some of them need to be tested against a reference solution and calibrated! I almost had a tank crash as I didn´t realize how far off my 2 year old Alk checker was. Thankfully the coraline algae told me about the problem before it was too late! ;)

plan.JPG

Great advice!

las

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck, don't feel bad if they don't make it. Does take some practice, and a populated sps tank depends on a good culture of sponges from mature rock to be really healthy. Good strong full spectrum lights, good flow, big skimmer and stability.

So the reason we need to wait many months before adding SPS to a new system is to allow sponge growth that develops on mature LR?

naso tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the reason we need to wait many months before adding SPS to a new system is to allow sponge growth that develops on mature LR?

No, not necessarily but i think though that newly setup tanks/rocks take awhile to grow sponge and the sps possibly feed on the free floating sponge cells. I heard this theory awhile ago. So it is sometimes better to start it out with easy to source frags like montis, birdsnest to watch how they do first.

las

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point... Wouldn't it be a smart decision to start out with this particular Live Rock then? I'm trying to figure out the best setup and I keep hemming and hawing over go LR or dry rock for an SPS only system.

http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

plan.JPG

Hanna Checkers need calibrated? How Is this done? Specifically the Alk checker and ULR phosphorous checker.

JMacedo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

helldiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been struggling with acros for about 6 months and trying to keep them. When introduced they start doing good and fade away after 3 weeks i test weekly. And everything is stable so confused monti's do well
My parameters are 480ca 1400mg alk 12.5,phos.2-.5. Temp 79-80 ,ph7.8 night. Day ph 8.09 feed mysis once a day any suggestions

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been struggling with acros for about 6 months and trying to keep them. When introduced they start doing good and fade away after 3 weeks i test weekly. And everything is stable so confused monti's do well
My parameters are 480ca 1400mg alk 12.5,phos.2-.5. Temp 79-80 ,ph7.8 night. Day ph 8.09 feed mysis once a day any suggestions

My suggestion, get more aggressive on targeting PO4. Run GFO in a reactor. If you have sand, do your best to keep it free of organic matter/detritus. Blow off the rocks before water changes and try to keep them clean. Step up water changes, and cleaning, until the PO4 level, throughout the whole system, drops.
You also may want to allow the alk to drop. It can get a little tricky, and require some experience, to keep acro's healthy when the alk is that high.

Peace
EC

974REUNION

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello I reefs you my tray 6oo liters SPS just two months of moving,
_ EQUIPMENT

BREWING tunze with occillateurs
evergrows 240w LIGHTING