How to suspend light! Do you use the standard lighting mounts?

Do you use the standard lighting mounts?

• I use the standard lighting mounts as designed.

Votes: 115 43.1%
  • I use the standard lighting mounts with minor modifications.

Votes: 30 11.2%
  • I use parts from the standard lighting mounts with major modifications.

Votes: 21 7.9%
  • I used DIY/custom/made lighting mounts.

Votes: 91 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 3.7%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Every once in a while, you setup lighting for a tank and everything goes exactly as planned. However, at least for me, I want to mount the lights in a way that doesn’t align with the premade brackets, or the ceilings/walls are different than expected by the light mounting kit designer, or I want a height level or position that doesn’t match the brackets, or…. You get the idea, there often seems to be some variation that requires a modification to the light mounting system or maybe even a completely different mount. Let us know if this has been your experience. For the tank or tanks that you have now, do you use the standard lighting mounts? Maybe you have been able to use them as designed or you have made some modification so that they will work (or work better). Please share your experience and let us know if you have any tips for mounting aquarium lights.

Gablami_LightFixture.jpeg

Photo by @Gablami

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.worldwidecorals.com

WWCBanner.png

“We differentiate ourselves from other vendors by offering our customers full transparency into our facility and practices. Setting the industry standard for shipping techniques, accurate high-quality photos, hard to find corals, and customer service. For some hobbyists buying live coral online can seem like a risky endeavor. At WWC our staff takes the worry out of the equation by culturing extremely healthy corals, giving you a hassle-free guarantee, and providing you with a full online customer service team to ensure you are completely satisfied with your purchase.” @WWC

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of these mounts are so expensive for what they are. Imo a $500 light should not require you to buy a $100 mount. I have all Radions, but I know other lights are similar.

I'm not the first to complain about the hobby being expensive, but this feels like one of those areas where companies are squeezing us for all they can.

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hanging mine (Orphek atlantik icon) from the ceiling. I originally bought the tank mounts but the unit seemed too heavy to cantilever, and I didn’t want to stress the tank glass. I also tried to figure out an acceptable extruded aluminum solution but it seemed over-engineered for the fixture. Got some heavy-duty wall anchors, two of which should hold a 15 lb fixture, or 30 lbs if I add a couple of strip lights.

I guess the question is whether I should trust wall anchors rated to > 500 lbs in drywall, or better practice is to put hooks into two wood cross braces screwed into the ceiling joists (the joists run parallel to the tank width).

Suggestions?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I run canopies always and they allow me to mount the lights within the housing both concealing them and allowing me to adjust heights.

1692803691433.png

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Every once in a while, you setup lighting for a tank and everything goes exactly as planned. However, at least for me, I want to mount the lights in a way that doesn’t align with the premade brackets, or the ceilings/walls are different than expected by the light mounting kit designer, or I want a height level or position that doesn’t match the brackets, or…. You get the idea, there often seems to be some variation that requires a modification to the light mounting system or maybe even a completely different mount. Let us know if this has been your experience. For the tank or tanks that you have now, do you use the standard lighting mounts? Maybe you have been able to use them as designed or you have made some modification so that they will work (or work better). Please share your experience and let us know if you have any tips for mounting aquarium lights.

Photo by @Gablami

WWCBanner.png

“We differentiate ourselves from other vendors by offering our customers full transparency into our facility and practices. Setting the industry standard for shipping techniques, accurate high-quality photos, hard to find corals, and customer service. For some hobbyists buying live coral online can seem like a risky endeavor. At WWC our staff takes the worry out of the equation by culturing extremely healthy corals, giving you a hassle-free guarantee, and providing you with a full online customer service team to ensure you are completely satisfied with your purchase.” @WWC
I had to use my own support not wanting to suspend them, all because of the lip around the top of the Aquarium

Minifoot77

Jack of all trades and a master of none
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own aluminum floating canopy then put plywood around it to match the stand

Attachments

• 20220129_144554.jpg
    20220129_144554.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 67

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Photo by @Gablami

WWCBanner.png

your lights have a nice crisp color. what kind of lights are they?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back