how to take pictures of your corals (camera settings tutorial)

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by surfn, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Ferozkaamil

Ferozkaamil Active Member

Toke with Samsung Galaxy Note Edge

1458217556356.jpg

1458217567248.jpg

1458217580774.jpg

1458217599946.jpg

HolisticBear, jsker and Zuuu like this.

2. Trailermann

Trailermann Active Member

Any tips on lighting? How to reduce shadows?

3. HiEndZoaJunky

HiEndZoaJunky Active Member

Whats a good tripod to start out with ? I only want to spend about MAX $300 I know that won't get far but can it ???

4. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

5. Kschmez

Kschmez Active Member

Just got a dslr camera, this is a good read

6. tikkivicky

tikkivicky Member

Thanks for the suggestion downloading both apps currently. :)

7. billr65

billr65 Member

wow i wont to lean to do this

8. cwk84

cwk84 Active Member

You should shoot in manual not aperture priority. Most cameras do not have a native ISO of lower than 100. Also, you do not need to go lower anyway as you can control the exposure with the shutter speed. You also should set the white balance in camera. Most full frame and some crop sensor cameras give you the option to adjust the white balance manually. No orange filter needed. That said, most modern cameras will not show any noise at higher ISO's. You can shoot as high as ISO 24.000 with some models without introducing noise.

A greater DOF will not degrade sharpness. The opposite is true. The greater the DOF the sharper the lens will be. All lenses have a so called sweet spot at which they are the sharpest. This is usually at around f/5.6 -8.
    If the DOF is shallower, (smaller numbers) the picture will be softer ( e.g. the dreamy Canon 85mm f/1.2L look).

What's more important than the size (most web pages can handle larger pictures or will even downsize them) is the color profile. If you don't set your color profile to sRGB your colors will be off once you upload it. You can do your edits in a different color space I don't see why, though, since you're not preparing anything for print anyway) but you have to convert it to sRGB before you save and upload it.

You don't need exposure compensation (EV). You realize that you only need that because, in aperture priority, the camera won't let you control the shutter speed, right? When you shoot in manual mode you won't need to use any 'advanced' settings. You also don't need noise reduction as noise reduction does not apply when shooting in RAW. It only applies when shooting in JPEG.
    And you don't need the mirror lockup function either because if you choose a high enough shutter speed, which you would when shooting in manual mode to compensate for the bright light above your reef tank, you would eliminate any camera shake, especially when using a tripod. I can shoot as low as 1/60 without getting a blurry picture.

Just_Pete and zypher like this.
  9. Buddah001

Buddah001 Active Member

I am following want to learn how to do this as well

Draft saved Draft deleted