How to tell if I killed corals?

pletlibo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. So I'm going to start this out by saying I'm a new reefer who's just received their first shipment of coral frags from WWC. When I received them, I floated them in my QT tank water for about 20-30 minutes. Then, I prepared to remove them from their base. This is the first mistake I made, as I definitely did not know how to properly remove them from their base. The frags I got were 1 Acan frag, (this was a cheap $10 clearance one), a zoa frag, and a green star polyps. I only removed the green star polyps and acan from their base because the zoa seemed very difficult to remove and I did not want to kill anything. So anyway, I (probably sloppily) removed the two frags from their bases and put all three in cups with bayer insect killer to dip them. I followed the process from this forum: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bayer-insecticide-as-a-coral-dip.100496/ The only difference being I used half as much bayer as that post did. Anyway, one thing that I realized is that in my inexperience I had managed to leave behind small parts of the skeletons of the two frags on the plugs. Both frags still had parts of their skeletons intact, but some was separated from the coral. Also, since putting them in the QT after attaching them to a new base several minutes ago, I've yet to see any kind of polyp extension or movement of any kind. Have I killed my frags?

Please let me know,
- Nicholas

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after shipping, dipping, and then putting them in a new tank they more than likely wont show polyp extension until possibly the next day. ITs a lot of stress on them for all that. I don't see that you did anything wrong other than you said you did it without researching first. but to be honest removing most from frag plugs are easy unless they have grown over it. Id give it a day or two

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back