How to treat fish in QT

Covex55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my cleaner wrasse and 12 green chromis in my QT for about a week and a half. They are all eating well and not breathing heavily. Today I noticed a brown spot on one side of the chromis. It looks like a cut but some forms say it could be Uronema.

Also I spotted the cleaner wrasse with an abnormal poop. Need help deciding how to treat 20gal QT. I have Melafix, Paraguard, Metroplex and Kanaplex.

VideoCapture_20230718-091451.jpg VideoCapture_20230718-091412.jpg VideoCapture_20230718-091952.jpg VideoCapture_20230718-092000.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I'm not too worried about the cleaner wrasse poop, that looks like it is just eating really well!

Yes, the green chromis looks like it may have Uronema. This is an internal protozoan, and there is just no way to get the medication inside the fish fast enough. Luckily, it is not very contagious. In any group of new green chromis though, a percentage of them typically show this.

Here is an article I wrote some time ago on this topic:

Jay

OP
OP
C

Covex55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I'm not too worried about the cleaner wrasse poop, that looks like it is just eating really well!

Yes, the green chromis looks like it may have Uronema. This is an internal protozoan, and there is just no way to get the medication inside the fish fast enough. Luckily, it is not very contagious. In any group of new green chromis though, a percentage of them typically show this.

Here is an article I wrote some time ago on this topic:

Jay
Thank you for the quick response!

I will take this one green chromis out and put it to sleep. Not too happy about that but I don't want it to suffer or risk of spreading.

Should I treat the QT with anything just as a precaution?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you for the quick response!

I will take this one green chromis out and put it to sleep. Not too happy about that but I don't want it to suffer or risk of spreading.

Should I treat the QT with anything just as a precaution?
For treatment, fish will have to be quarantined and treated with formalin based treatment which is harder to find, so next option is Ruby rally Pro. Chloroquine Phosphate will also work but must be used precisely. Uronema is not an obligate parasite, and can thrive on bacteria, uneaten food, and waste so besides treatment also maintain a clean tank removing waste daily.
To touch up more on this disease which is an oval ciliated motile protozoan that causes tissue necrosis as seen on fish.
What other fish are in the tank?
This can also be triggered by low salinity levels as well as excess food waste on tank bottom which this protozoan can feed on as often prevention can be more valuable than cure for this.

OP
OP
C

Covex55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For treatment, fish will have to be quarantined and treated with formalin based treatment which is harder to find, so next option is Ruby rally Pro. Chloroquine Phosphate will also work but must be used precisely. Uronema is not an obligate parasite, and can thrive on bacteria, uneaten food, and waste so besides treatment also maintain a clean tank removing waste daily.
To touch up more on this disease which is an oval ciliated motile protozoan that causes tissue necrosis as seen on fish.
What other fish are in the tank?
This can also be triggered by low salinity levels as well as excess food waste on tank bottom which this protozoan can feed on as often prevention can be more valuable than cure for this.
I have formalin but I have never treated anything with it yet. I am a little nervous to use it. In this 20 gal QT there is just the 12 green chromis ( once I remove the one with Uronema there will be 11) and the one cleaner wrasse. I did receive the fish from an online seller and the salinity was at 25 so I matched the salinity and have been slowly raising it to get to 35. Currently the salinity is at 29.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have formalin but I have never treated anything with it yet. I am a little nervous to use it. In this 20 gal QT there is just the 12 green chromis ( once I remove the one with Uronema there will be 11) and the one cleaner wrasse. I did receive the fish from an online seller and the salinity was at 25 so I matched the salinity and have been slowly raising it to get to 35. Currently the salinity is at 29.
This low salinity is a trigger for uronema.
For formalin, mix 1ml per 10 gallons of water

OP
OP
C

Covex55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This low salinity is a trigger for uronema.
For formalin, mix 1ml per 10 gallons of water
Ok so I'll put 2ml of formalin for this 20 gallon tank and then wait a few day to do a water change? One treatment is enough?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back