OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok perfect post tank updates in about three days as a tank picture can’t wait to see details on water clarity etc it will work well that’s a reasonable starting bioload and a perfect big water change, that’s exactly how we proceed here thanks tons for posting this is a perfect work example for us, making predictions before day three after bioload can’t wait to see

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One tank pic unstuck this cycle

Notice the power of old cycling science at work here:

-caused him to think he was stalled when he wasn’t

-a tendency to believe the ammonia reports at all costs, doubt bac always first, and never take time to verify accuracy or see if the doser prime was used, which instantly makes false ammonia readings. bacteria are immediately assumed lacking

-omission of disease preps, hyper focus on too little bacteria and become part of the false sales machine for bottle bacteria and cycling parachutes. These aquarists need to hear about disease issues up front, there are zero fish losses on file for the cycling period and then thousands of documented deaths from disease, so disease loss is where the concern should be aimed.

Last edited:

JCCook07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok perfect post tank updates in about three days as a tank picture can’t wait to see details on water clarity etc it will work well that’s a reasonable starting bioload and a perfect big water change, that’s exactly how we proceed here thanks tons for posting this is a perfect work example for us, making predictions before day three after bioload can’t wait to see

3 days in, according to the test kits 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, less than 5ppm nitrates. The green chromis is bouncing around the tank happy as can be. Been running the lights for about 13 hours a day, starting to get brown buildup on the sand. Hermit crabs are active crawling all over the place. Hoping to add a clownfish pair this weekend and might stick an easy going coral in there to see what happens. Looks great though. So glad I ran across this thread or I would still be "stuck" cycling.

IMG_6789.jpeg

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much this truly helps move our approach along nicely, thats a laser clean setup and pics with bioload in place is our bread and butter!

the only thing we got lucky on was non digital ammonia and nitrite testing lol

if those showed .5 and 2.0 respectively then we’d be back to the stuck cycle game while all along the pics stay clean like that, the animals feed and act normally. Stating this because one day the luck won’t carry over, the .5 api will mislead attempt and we will still proof out cycles using these arrangement pics above over any degree of non digital testing. Anyone with a calibrated seneye please post all data you can source, from every step of the cycle process we will believe that meter.

Last edited:

WillV3R33N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading the majority of this thread, I figured I would include my tank and testing for input.

Tank was established on 8/20 with dry rock and live sand. I've dosed aquavitro bacterial seed per instructions for the first 10 days. 1 Clownfish was introduced on day 10. The following photos are test parameters as of today. After reading the thread I should be able to do a large water change and my tank will be fully cycled, correct?
IMG_3501.JPG
IMG_3502.JPG
IMG_3499.JPG
IMG_3491.JPG

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% yes, thank you very much for posting.

your ammonia kit above after TAN conversion is 100% safe zone for nh3 ammonia, everyone would agree that’s as close to zero as we need.

the nitrite we would ignore, it’s chemically neutral.

visual cues: even if we knew no other details, off your tank pic alone that expected new algae growth completely confirms nitrifier cycle readiness, any new mats or algae growth that had time and nutrient to establish did so on top of a ready biofilter

we could have visually cycled that reef alone knowing no other details.
at no time would a new tank with that visual growth fail to control its ammonia, the green sheen is a direct no test cycle confirmation using the rule of benthic establishment.

you are past day ten on cycling charts for ammonia control, even that portion lines up. This is a multiple point confirmation of a ready tank using updated cycling science im glad to have that onboard.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything you read in contest that claims nitrite will harm any aspect of your cycle, from ammonia control to invert harm to fish harm, is simply making up challenges and can not compete with nineteen pages of nitrite-positive reefs we can track out and send messages to any entrant to verify total safety when they started with bioload. We win lol

anyone claiming nitrite harm is old school cycle bandwagoning and does not have a two page thread to offer, or a single work job actually.

WillV3R33N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like this goes against everything I've read anywhere else but here. I started 2 reef tanks in 2018 and followed old school cycling protocol. This thread should definitely be stickied. Thanks for your input!

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for posting. It is legit indeed 100% against former rules, our only proof is in the patterns the documentation for our rules comes from other online work threads

case in point: though indeed bottle bac sellers state nitrite can stall a cycle, look what Randy the top chemist online says (that we don’t need to know it)

that’s where our nitrite data portion of events comes from, reliable sources though in direct contest even against MACNA cycling videos that say nitrite can stall a cycle. Perhaps on page 100 here someone can update the macna vid heh

nitrate is for algae tuning, and coral color tuning its not tested for accurately very often, so updated cycling science doesn’t factor it. We factor only free ammonia control and in places where accurate measure isn’t available (most cycles although your test looks accurate) we simply measure # of days underwater against a cycling chart plus whether or not they used 2-4 day max time bottle bac. Our criteria are easy to meet and when fact- checked on a calibrated seneye they’ll pass.

I claim we can pass a tuned seneye spot check every single time and there will be no outliers. The claim is that newly-added animals are safer here than with any other cycling approach and seneye can be a trusted umpire for claims. Tanks that don’t own a seneye still follow seneye-tank establishment timelines. Our thread establishes that given this much surface area all these reefs were ready on the call date regardless of testing, we all have shared physiology regardless of # of gallons.

there isn’t wide variation in cycle completion dates, there’s the opposite: total precision start dating. Your start date was at day ten or sooner based on that algae growth too. If the first spec of algae appeared on day seven it was cycled slightly before then, meaning on seneye you’d show nh3 in low hundredths or thousandths ppm.

Last edited:

Hudsonfo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are concerned about knowing the start date for your reef aquarium post here and we will name the date you can begin carrying a bioload plus its feed plus its generated waste. The whole point of the thread is that you think your cycle is stuck because some cheap test kits said so, and it isn't. If you will devote 20 mins reading to the four threads listed in this post, you will never fail to cycle a reef tank again and that means without testing for anything, we don't use cheap test kits here like other cycle threads.

cycles don't stall like we've been told. if you are posting a single set of api or Red Sea readings ranging from ammonia to nitrate, you're in direct violation of the thread already lol

edit those out of your opening pic, but still introduce your tank and we will unstick any claimed stuck cycle quickly and without you having to buy anything.

read below to see how when posting cycle readings, its three pics of your ammonia reading we don't want to see the other two measures of nitrite and nitrate. the thread below on 100% water change is an example of calibrated ammonia readings using API, a set of three pics because it shows movement of ammonia vs static reading.

You dont have to do this test; reef tanks cycle at the same timeframe per method of setup so testing here is only if you must proof your own cycle. If you'll trust 25 logged pages of results in predictive cycling then post a pic of your reef, state the mix, number of days underwater, and we'll tell you when its ready with no testing from you required

Reason we don't want to see nitrite posted here, omit it from your pics:

Nitrite cannot harm your cycling reef, its chemically neutral, we don’t want to see nitrite data here as it’s the #2 cause of false assumed stuck cycles and its a neutral param. even if positive, its not harming your cycle or animals. chances are you don't own two different kits, one digital, to proof your stated readings; nitrite from API or red sea didn't just become the world's most accurate data source because there aren't any other sampling competitors, the nitrite reading is still subject to the same handling/interpretation issues as famous .25 ammonia readings.

nitrite is chemically neutral for us in all presentations here.

if there are special interesting cases, I'll ask to see your nitrite readings (such as if you own a hanna digital nitrite meter)

mostly they'll mislead us, don't post any nitrite measurements.

———————————-First example using a reef tank for unsticking a cycle————————->

Do you see how his API kit said he had eight parts per million ammonia below, not cycled, but after one water change the aquarium was instantly ready and then turned into a reef?

*every cycle umpire from every reef board in the world would say that cycle isn’t ready, wait weeks longer. What did one full water change accomplish, did he have to wait weeks? Stalled cycles are a false notion invented by bottle bac sellers to create a buying impulse for bottle bac already dosed at the start of a cycle

consider this quarantine cycle challenge below

One water change and it’s carrying bioload just fine plus feed

nothing was added to help the cycle, a water change was done to reveal working bioslicks under the initial wastewater.

**Think about the two case studies you just read. The top example is fixing a claimed stuck cycle reef tank with one full water change past day ten wait of a cycling chart's ammonia line. JackAlexander takes time to run proofed api ammonia testing, three pics, for absolute proof he was ready to reef after day ten of wait in his overdosed mix of bottle bac and way too much ammonia. The bac were fed well, not killed by his overdose. Your tank is going to cycle in the same timeframe Jack's did, it doesnt matter if your levels are higher or lower than his. the water change resets it all, revealing a fully working filter underneath the former wastewater.

bottle bac sellers set maximum ammonia limits as a buying impulse, so you buy new bac to replace claimed dead ones

we just disproved high ammonia levels kill out a cycle above

The second case study is doing the full water change in a quarantine tank after discerning he's using enough surface area to hold the cycle, but we skip the 10th day testing verification as ALL reefs of sufficient surface area and boosted approach will be fine on this date, after a big water change. He does not have to run the three point api ammonia test, all quarantine and display setups meeting his specifics will be ready we don't need to test them.

A cycling chart's ammonia line shows it, that's how fast ammonia-handling organisms implant and adhere to surface area you're upcycling.

It doesn't matter what random mix of bacteria and feed you sustain in the water, the time it all stews/# of days underwater is what matters and a cycling chart shows us that around day ten that ammonia drops

what that means to you is if you change your water out like we've done twice above on day ten or later, free ammonia won't rise back up if you are using the common degree of surface area such as rocks and sand in a reef or a big sponge bubble riser setup in a common quarantine setup and some mix of bacteria and feed.

ammonia will stay safely controlled on that date after submersion because all cycles will complete after that many days in boosted systems, well enough to make 80 year old charts on it.

your filter bac endured any initial variation on dosing and feed, mild overdoses of ammonia fed your bac better, not worse, just do a water change if you're concerned and 100% of reefs will pass this thread.

your red sea and api ammonia tests are prone to misread, and mislead, so we don't rely on them here we turn out timely cycles where you can message any entrant a year later to see how things fared.

There are no stuck cycles in reefing. nearly everyone that will post here has been running longer than ten days on a bottle bac mix, so expect 100% of responses to state a past ready date, not a future one.

What you should be concerned about is fish disease, if you are a new cycler read this entire thread below to give your fish the best chance, ammonia and nitrite hasn’t killed anyone’s newly started reef but disease sure does— we will be the first cycling works to include fish disease study before the study of ammonia control. Read this thread fully

There are no bottled dosers you can buy to add to a display tank to treat or reduce disease, they don’t work.

People still tend to run API tests anyway, its how we've been trained to reef by bottle bac sellers. One common comparison to proof a bad cycle is to run ammonia testing on distilled water, and get a yellow zero, and then on a suspected reef setup and it reads slightly green, which is interpreted as proof of a failed or stuck cycle

(and always leads to a new purchase, read the cycle trend threads yourself to see this pattern of doubt/buy/resolve training)

******so why does my api show true zero when I test distilled water or Ro Di vs my tank***************

because only your tank has nitrification going on to over report via non digital testing. If your distilled water had nitrogen compounds in it they couldn’t sell it to you as distilled. We expect distilled to test as zero when it does.

Your tests are reading total ammonia from your display water sample, we only care about the free form nh3 amount of ammonia and your test kit instructions show how to see that converted number… your initial habit is to report total ammonia, we only use free ammonia or nh3 levels in updated cycling science.
You need to report your current ammonia levels ten times lower in order to attain nh3 conversion; nh3 is ten times less than nh4 at the pH and temp levels we run, paraphrased from Dan and Randys posts in the chem forum.

* all stuck cycle posts you can find on the internet are cycle umpires taking a total ammonia stated read as an indication or weakened or killed bacteria. They’re not factoring nh3, and we do in updated cycling science.

Certain additives like Prime and other water conditioners are largely unstated additives; they directly cause misreads. Did you put prime in your distilled water when benchmarking? we don't want guess testing here; that's what runs all other cycle threads. Posting a single pic of your api ammonia nitrite and nitrate and us not knowing about confounds or a green-tinted kitchen light is everyone's common stuck cycle thread.

we don't want the unverified test kit picture as your opening proof.

if you want to test and know ammonia accurately in your reef buy and calibrate a seneye ammonia meter, then report those levels to us. Don’t forget to trim and calibrate it so it reads correctly, search out trim threads for the device.

in our thread we dont ask about your alkalinity nor salinity nor pH nor nitrite and yet we turn out pages of cycled reefs, that’s because those troubleshooting details aren’t required, cycles don’t stall with these common setup variances.

nearly every reef that posts here for the next twenty pages was ready when they first posted, notice this trend. they're all ready, none were before ready I can see on hindsight inspection.

does that mean your reef now is likely ready or not ready? You're already at the disease control options step, you're past being ready to begin carrying fish

skipping quarantine like you read the sage reef aquarists doing is killing fish by the bucketload, that's what makes them masters...they get to have ideal outcomes by using methods you and I can't replicate in the fish disease forum. Copy what works there as best practices:

A mere four study links gets you all you need to know about cycling a reef tank. Its about disease control, the cycle was so easy you couldn't mess it up if you tried.

There are no stuck cycles in reefing, there’s only pre water change no TAN conversion forgot to mention Prime panic posts.

bottle bac doser companies, retailers, don’t fix that panic cycle because they’re profiting off it and from peers who continually resell bac to each other in false stall cycle posts. Don’t be that poster
Hi Brandon,

this information is absolutely brilliant.
I am currently cycling my tank and was stressing out and added an extra bottle of Dr Tim’s as I thought my cycle was stalled!

it’s day 11 for me; test results are showing ammonia and high nitrite and some nitrate too…so from what I have read im assuming I should be cycled/close to cycled.

I have a Seneye currently soaking so will turn that on tmrw and hoping it gives me a more accurate reading.

do you think I’m ready to add fish after a water change? And if so…how much of a percentage water change would you do? It’s a 525l aquarium.

thank you

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey that will be a rare and nice confirmation agreed, the seneye test. Jon M here on rtr has already tested Dr Tims on a tuned seneye and it lowers ammonia pretty much instantly out of the bottle after dosing into a tank, so at day ten of wait I fully expect yours to show readiness for current nh3 levels- nh3 in the very low hundredths ppm and most likely high range thousandths ppm nh3 / this is the level none of the Red Sea kits or api can show

If you could post the seneye reading on water as it sits alongside an api or red sea kit for ammonia, to compare readings live time, that’d be a rare double take for us

thanks for posting!
one detail about seneye tuning and trim: most of the time the units aren’t trimmed out of the box. Meaning there’s slide adjustments to make for the nh3 measurement portion before the machine is calibrated accurately, to reflect the precise measures we expect here

the seneye needs to be benchmarked first on a running reef, a known cycled reef tank running with fish and corals already. The seneye is trimmed correctly when it reads .002-.009 ppm nh3 on the running display tank.

they often stick at .001 initially when out of tune, or they’ll show some crazy high number like .05 ppm nh3 on random samples when not tuned. Display tanks run .002-.009 we can see by scanning the logs of hundreds of seneye tanks; so to be a meaningful benchmark here that seneye and slide needs to show this working range on a known cycled display

then when you move it tuned over to your cycling setup we will know the exact nature of your ten day Dr. Tims cycle

if you don’t have a working tank handy to bench on maybe you can take the meter to a pet store and trim it into range or use it on a friends cycled reef to get it ready, then we are set for some rare confirmations here. I have a thread for slide trimming if needed

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably none :) I really bet the dosed bottle bac has the nh3 within spec after this long, we do that water change so that Red Sea and api owners won’t freak out on adding fish to a seemingly high ammonia level

I honestly bet that on a tuned seneye yours is ready as it sits right now to carry bioload, if rocks and or sand has sat mixed and fed with Dr Tims this long, can’t wait to see if that’s the case

Hudsonfo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably none :) I really bet the dosed bottle bac has the nh3 within spec after this long, we do that water change so that Red Sea and api owners won’t freak out on adding fish to a seemingly high ammonia level

I honestly bet that on a tuned seneye yours is ready as it sits right now to carry bioload, if rocks and or sand has sat mixed and fed with Dr Tims this long, can’t wait to see if that’s the case
Can I tune it by sitting it in natural sweatmm my

Can I tune it by sitting it in natural seawater that I will use for water changes and seeing what the readings come up at - assuming it should be pretty much 0.
I have just turned it on as the 24 hours are pretty much over and it’s coming up with a reading of 0.054ppm

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seawater is expected to be in the thousandths not hundredths, we can’t use it till it’s benched on a normal reef

no reef water will be zero. All have some free ammonia and display reef tanks run .002-.009

even though .05 is safe that’s just where the untuned meter is landing it can’t be known as the right level without trimming. If you want to begin reefing you can because of others tests at this time interval though, there isn’t any reason your tank won’t follow Jons pre tested levels

.05 is the baseline we use on api and red sea to begin reefing, and on seneye many quarantine tanks actually do run in the hundredths vs thousandths due to the lower surface area included, this level doesn't harm fish even if the seneye is spot on right.

you wouldn’t need to do a water change at that size reef, we can just go off the other tested reefs on day ten using this bac, it’s been tested on several tuned seneyes prior

Last edited:

Hudsonfo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had my Seneye running now just over 24 hours and reading has gone from 0.054 to 0.010 - so feel like I’m pretty set

Even though my nitrite levels and nitrate levels seem a little high - but I’m doubtful of the test results.
Using salifert it tells me nitrite is 0; using api it tells me nitrite is 3.6! Bit of a difference.

@brandon429 based on all your info I will ignore nitrite levels - my only concern is that I could end up with elevated nitrate levels - if planning to add first fish on Friday and macro algae should arrive tmrw, which will hopefully help lower nitrate
Thank you

Should I test for nitrate on Thursday and do a water change if values are high…only problem is I have no faith in the test kits and their readings!

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nitrate has no basis in cycling start dates anyway so I'd go ahead. We have these known stated ranges in reefing: Paul B's gorgeous old reef, runs 160 ppm nitrate at times, see his posts

any German ULNS zerovit system, 1 ppm

so it won't matter. Hey on that seneye above you know .010 is close enough for this card game I agree we can reference it now even if it wasn't trimmed to total perfection. it can be in time/next slide etc
the working range on precise tuning is closer to .005 but .01 at this degree of measure is simply close enough, what mighty precision those machines can show

that really helped us you getting that machine so quickly, wow! rare feedback, we value seneye's start date analysis so much I thank you for posting. neat device huh

its pH and lux meter I think people do not trust though. nh3 looks gtg.

Having a seneye confirm an issued start date here is so rare its once every 20 pages or so. I don't expect another new input like this for a year or more.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for comparisons can you run your non seneye ammonia kit and relay its reading alongside this .01

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for posting these two readings, one from the most common cycle test kit in reefing and one from the rarest on the same water sample.

the disagreement between the two tests, the resulting market shifts that occur due to this disparity, the inability of ALL old cycling approaches to name a simple start date which is inherent in nearly all cycles, is the heart of this thread. That those two kits give such wildly different feedback, and that 99.9% of owners of stuck cycle reefs are using the non digital readout, is the heart of our discovery. We get to see an unsolicited real-world eval

reef cycles do not stall. They always meet a predetermined start date governed by the types of boosters used and can be easily determined before tank assembly, no ammonia testing will be needed for the non seneye owners they can simply depend on the ten day~ feed + bottle bac approach if they can fall back on an easy wait time for the stew to complete.

cycle charts have accurate ammonia drop lines and dates we can see.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back