HOW TO: Use GHL Connect via Internet from Anywhere!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

cpllongjk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOW TO: Use GHL Connect via Internet from Anywhere!
** Be sure to look at the cautions **
One of the problems people face with Dynamic IP is their IP always changes so accessing things like their Profilux from an outside source can be difficult.

In order to resolve this issue we need to setup a Dynamic IP Service and enable port forwarding on our routers. **Most Dynamic IP Services are free for a period of time but expire and require a minimal fee to keep active. Example... NO-IP.COM charges roughly $25 a year to keep it active.**

**Be careful who knows your HostName and Domain! Until GHL figures out a way to Password protect the App and Profilux anyone can access your Profilux if they have the GHL Connect App and your HostName/IP!**

Step 1: Enter Router and Look for DDNS (Usually under Security or Apps and Gaming)​
Here you will look under the provider drop down to see which providers are supported by your router. I have a Linksys router and I only have two options DYN.COM & NO-IP.COM​
DDNS.png

Step 2: Setup an Account with a DDNS that is supported by your router
There are a few free DDNS services that are free, just make sure your router supports the service you are selecting. Make sure you write down the Username, Password, HostName, and Domain before continuing.

Step 3: Input information from Step 2 into router
Enter all the information in Step 2 into your router and apply any settings. Your router might take a few moments to update any changes.

Step 4: Setup Port Forwarding for Profilux
Under your routers port forwarding section add a port forward like what I did with "Profilux"
Obviously your specific profilux IP will needed to be added.​
PortForwarding.png

Step 5: Change your Profilux WebServer Password

Within GHL Control Center go to System > Communication > Webserver

Changing this password will prevent people from the outside from accessing your Profilux's webserver.​

Step 6: Use GHL Connect From Anywhere in the World!
Under Host/IP type in your HOSTNAME & DOMAIN
ConnectApp.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
cpllongjk

cpllongjk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two thing I cannot seem to change or modify yet:

1. I cannot change the port number assigned to my Profilux. I could only get port 80 to work.

2. I cannot assign a different port number to the GHL Connect App.

**If you have any troubles please post here and if you take any screen shots then be careful not to show everyone personal/sensitive information!**

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cpllongjk where do you see the host/ip type selection? I'm in the Android app, there may be a difference if you are using the Apple app.

OP
OP
cpllongjk

cpllongjk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cpllongjk where do you see the host/ip type selection? I'm in the Android app, there may be a difference if you are using the Apple app.

Bill, every router is different. Even routers of the same brand. Some routers have DDNS and some dont. Typically if it has it, it will be in the security section. I did everything within my web browser. Apps usually have limited functionality.

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill, every router is different. Even routers of the same brand. Some routers have DDNS and some dont. Typically if it has it, it will be in the security section. I did everything within my web browser. Apps usually have limited functionality.
@cpllongjk Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was talking about the app side. I have it connected to my local network (192.168...) and port fwd'ing set up all OK. I just can't find where to specify the ddns host in the app, and how to switch access from in home to away.

OP
OP
cpllongjk

cpllongjk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cpllongjk Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was talking about the app side. I have it connected to my local network (192.168...) and port fwd'ing set up all OK. I just can't find where to specify the ddns host in the app, and how to switch access from in home to away.

Verify that the port forwarding is set up as external and internal port 80 and that the Device IP address matches your Profilux4.

To test enter your HOSTNAME.DDNS.NET into any web browser and your Profilux4 webserver should pop up. If that doesn't happen then you have something wrong somewhere.

If this isn't what you need let me know but I think it is... Your app should look something like this.
ConnectApp.jpg

OP
OP
cpllongjk

cpllongjk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Forgot this,

If you want a "Home" and "Away" connection in your App then you would have to add multiple devices.

One device would connect to your Profilux via 192.168.x.x and the other device you added would connect via HostName.DDNS.NET

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was the next thing I was going to try, but hadn't had time yet! :) Thanks!

OP
OP
cpllongjk

cpllongjk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you do this be sure to change your webserver password to a more secure password otherwise you run the risk of getting hacked from an outside source!

In GHL Control Center (GCC) under System > Communication

Last edited:

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One important step left out change the default password on your P4 :)

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to consider, large ISPs will not allow incoming traffic on port 80. Verizon and Comcast both block connections on port 80. Unless you have a smaller ISP that allows traffic over port 80 (or you pay Comcast or Verizon for a business account), this will not work for you. If your router will allow you to translate ports, you could potentially set an external port other than 80 and have it send traffic to your GHL's IP using port 80.

Also, depending on how your GHL requests IP addresses and how your router's DHCP server handles leases, the IP address of the GHL could change over time. In which case, it would be inaccessible by this method. If the GHL requires a static IP to run, this solves the problem. If not, you may want to consider setting one up (if possible).

porter_painter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cpllongjk - Many thanks for going to the effort of sharing this information - this worked for me!

The only additional challenge that I had with my router (BT Hub here in the UK) was that the router did not accept a password from No_IP with a mix of upper and lower case letters and numbers - I had to use a single long lowercase password.

Thanks again
Andy :)

OP
OP
cpllongjk

cpllongjk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cpllongjk - Many thanks for going to the effort of sharing this information - this worked for me!

The only additional challenge that I had with my router (BT Hub here in the UK) was that the router did not accept a password from No_IP with a mix of upper and lower case letters and numbers - I had to use a single long lowercase password.

Thanks again
Andy :)

Andy,

Great News. Everyone will have a different experience or challenge getting it working depending on their router or internet service.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
How does one change the default (80) listening port on the Profilux 4?

OP
OP
cpllongjk

cpllongjk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does one change the default (80) listening port on the Profilux 4?

To my knowledge there is no way. One thing though, MyGHL through the cell phone apps is much better than it was when I wrote this guide. I would use MyGHL through the app now.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
No worries, all set.

pfSense allows different port numbers forwarded to port 80 on destination IP - all working as needed at ...... domainname.com:7850

both are examples of course.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 55 29.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 39 20.7%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 65 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back