How to use inline pump to clean sump?

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 1, 2014
Messages
3,016
Reaction score
3,949
Location
Orlando
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I thought I was being smart by buying an inline pump so I can suck detritus out of my sump. But it's not working since I need to prime the pump first? How do I even do that if the inlet hose is in the sump and has to go up and down to the pump that then has an outlet hose to a bucket???
 
Are you looking for a pump to pump water out of your sump? If so, I have one like this, it intake water from underneath, and will still pump even when the water level is very low:

Vivosun pump
 
I don't know of a pump other that the one listed above, or the sicce utility pump, which looks to be the same thing.
I use a cheap 6 gallon shop vac when I do a deep clean on my sumps.
I normally just use my Python water change hose to suck detritus from the settling area I have that collects it all.
 
Not an utility pump. This is a pump with an intake hose so you can just move the hose around and suck up detritus off the bottom.
 
Not an utility pump. This is a pump with an intake hose so you can just move the hose around and suck up detritus off the bottom.
I think everybody so far has posted their preferred method.
Probably the only way you are going to make your pump work for this situation is to submerge the suction hose, the pump, and the exit hose completely and making sure all of the air is out of all of it. Then raise the hose out of the sump with the end sealed so no air travels down and into the bucket or barrel you want the water and detritus to go.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new