How to use Phosguard? Does it really work?

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used phoseguard before but found that it made the water too cloudy for my liking. I switched to kents phosephate remover and fell in love with it. It turned some GHA white within 24hrs and was gone within 72. But since vodka dosing everythings been golden and this is a good year later. But if I needed something for GHA, Kents would be my go to stuff.

Intricateart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been debating which one to use GFO or Phosguard so I've been reading these posts. Do you need a reactor to use GFO or can you put it in a bag too?

tvoydan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use rowPhos. Pulled my phospahtes down from .24 to .09 (Hanna meter). Plan on switch to BRS high capacity GFO when I run out. A friend uses it with good results.

LARRY007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Use ROWA PHOS In a rector this Is the best I put It In my rector run 2 gal. ro water so It comes out clean then I hook up to the pump In my tank In my sump . I have used phos guard and brightwell xport po 4 they did not work as good as rowa phos to me It Is the best I use a hanna phosphate checker a lot better than looking at cards

gregcoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been debating which one to use GFO or Phosguard so I've been reading these posts. Do you need a reactor to use GFO or can you put it in a bag too?

You don't need a reactor for either of them, but a reactor makes both products more efficient. Phosguard works fast (some say too fast) and GFO has more capacity but works much slower.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you replace it?

Phosphate binders will deplete at a rate that depends on the phosphate level and how fast you push water through it. maybe an hour in very high phosphate to a month at very low phosphate.

have you measured phosphate?

Do not use binders without a measurement. You risk worse problems than algae going too low.

Bill Urbanski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why mix? I would use them separately as they will probably exhaust at different rates.
Seachem makes a product that's GFO and phosguard. I forget what it's called. Just going to try it on my own. My struggle is trying to maintain a semi constant phosphate level. I go up and down. Need to figure a way to keep it level. Right now I'm at .04. Would like to keep it around that.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem makes a product that's GFO and phosguard. I forget what it's called. Just going to try it on my own. My struggle is trying to maintain a semi constant phosphate level. I go up and down. Need to figure a way to keep it level. Right now I'm at .04. Would like to keep it around that.

when it’s at the level you want, remove the media, check how long it takes to start to raise, then you will be able to work out the correct amount to use next time, then you can replace on a weekly/ biweekly basis.

Phosguard I would say is generally less aggressive then gfo, which gives you the choice to using one or the other depending on how often you prefer to change the media.

Not really sure why they do a mixed one, as gfo generally preforms better in a reactor and phosguard is only suitable for a very gentle tumble. And also the exhaust rates are different.

Bill Urbanski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when it’s at the level you want, remove the media, check how long it takes to start to raise, then you will be able to work out the correct amount to use next time, then you can replace on a weekly/ biweekly basis.

Phosguard I would say is generally less aggressive then gfo, which gives you the choice to using one or the other depending on how often you prefer to change the media.

Not really sure why they do a mixed one, as gfo generally preforms better in a reactor and phosguard is only suitable for a very gentle tumble. And also the exhaust rates are different.
Let me get this straight, I just tested my Phosphate its 13 which makes it .04 with the conversion. If I turn my reactor off and test the same time tomorrow hypothetically it should be higher than .04. What would you do then?????

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me get this straight, I just tested my Phosphate its 13 which makes it .04 with the conversion. If I turn my reactor off and test the same time tomorrow hypothetically it should be higher than .04. What would you do then?????

if not using Hanna, when you see the colour get dark on the test add a small amount of media, see how long it takes to drop back down, you do this a few times and will get to know how much media and over what time period it takes to drop PO4.

then just add the amount to keeps the level where you want it and change it just before you know it will start to raise.

Then decide if you want to use a gfo or phosguard as they work at different rates to reduce PO4.

trial and error you’ll soon work out how to balance your PO4.

Bill Urbanski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if not using Hanna, when you see the colour get dark on the test add a small amount of media, see how long it takes to drop back down, you do this a few times and will get to know how much media and over what time period it takes to drop PO4.

Then decide if you want to use a gfo or phosguard as they work at different rates to reduce PO4.

trial and error you’ll soon work out how to balance your PO4.
I do use the Hannha ULR why does that matter?

Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosguard, phosban, gfo, ect is a band-aid. Find the source of the nutrients that are feeding the algae. Cut back on feedings and the light cycle. Do large water changes often and the nutrients will come down depending on how much your rocks have soaked up.
Large water changes are inefficient and laborious. Also a band-aid.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gfo is a pain to work with you will need a really fine media bag for it . I use phosgaurd and I love it . I do use a reactor plus I mix it with my cardon.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back