How to use the Multi Reference

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Autonomy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How exactly do I go about using the Fauna Marin Multi Reference? I'm having trouble finding any information regarding instructions online and none are provided on the bottle. How exactly do I go about using this product? Where do I start? I'd appreciate some guidance. Thanks.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a bottle & my take is--
The information on the bottle is what the solution should test to.
The product is a reference solution so you can double check your test kits.
EG - calcium test on the solution should read 400 mg/l & magnesium 1365mg/l

OP
OP
Autonomy

Autonomy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a bottle & my take is--
The information on the bottle is what the solution should test to.
The product is a reference solution so you can double check your test kits.
EG - calcium test on the solution should read 400 mg/l & magnesium 1365mg/l
I've gathered that the information on the bottle is what the solution should test to, but this is where I'm getting stuck. Do I use eg: Nitrate Pro test kit, and use the Multi Reference solution instead of my tank water?

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With testing the bottle you have a reference color if needed & if your other tests are accurate enough to where they read. Eg. Mg on solution is 1350, is that close to your 1400 or way off?
Unless your numbers match every element all you can do is check to see if they are close enough or get a new kit. Nitrate -- test solution for color, then tank water & compare.

OP
OP
Autonomy

Autonomy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My test kits are all within date however, I was finding that my test kits and dosing requirements were not matching up to my ICP test results, so I decided to investigate further. I wasn’t expecting to be receiving a product/bottle with no instructions on how to use it together with no information regarding the calculation side of things.

Unfortunately, the Fauna Marin does not come with any colour reference card or instructions. The label on the MultiReference bottle does come with a list of reference values, but that's all. There is no colour reference card that comes with the MultiReference. I was struggling to find any information or videos on the internet explaining the steps involved.

What I’ve been able to work out so far is that there are two steps to using the MultiReference fluid, combined with ratios and calculations.

Eg: Test the Mg RedSeaPro test kit using the MultiReference solution - the result was 1240mg/L.

The correction factor on the MultiReference bottle is 1315mg/L.

Calculation required: 1315 / 1240 = 1.06

Test the Mg level of tank water with RedSea Pro Mg test. The result was 1320mg/L.

Calculation required: 1320 x 1.06 = 1399mg/L.

* 1399mg/L is the correct current Mg level in my tank, although the RedSeaPro test kit was stating it to be 1320mg/L.

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My test kits are all within date however, I was finding that my test kits and dosing requirements were not matching up to my ICP test results, so I decided to investigate further. I wasn’t expecting to be receiving a product/bottle with no instructions on how to use it together with no information regarding the calculation side of things.

Unfortunately, the Fauna Marin does not come with any colour reference card or instructions. The label on the MultiReference bottle does come with a list of reference values, but that's all. There is no colour reference card that comes with the MultiReference. I was struggling to find any information or videos on the internet explaining the steps involved.

What I’ve been able to work out so far is that there are two steps to using the MultiReference fluid, combined with ratios and calculations.

Eg: Test the Mg RedSeaPro test kit using the MultiReference solution - the result was 1240mg/L.

The correction factor on the MultiReference bottle is 1315mg/L.

Calculation required: 1315 / 1240 = 1.06

Test the Mg level of tank water with RedSea Pro Mg test. The result was 1320mg/L.

Calculation required: 1320 x 1.06 = 1399mg/L.

* 1399mg/L is the correct current Mg level in my tank, although the RedSeaPro test kit was stating it to be 1320mg/L.
HI The sense of the reference solution is to be there for all tests on the market. Not for only one Test so there is no need of the color chart. all others you explain perfectly right :)

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI The sense of the reference solution is to be there for all tests on the market. Not for only one Test so there is no need of the color chart. all others you explain perfectly right :)
Quick question on this. Is this to be used within xx amount of hours or if closed after pouring some out will the values hold?

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Yes the values are stabilize in the solution so you can use it for longer time.

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning. Just giving life to this thread. I’ve got a bottle of the Fm ref solution, but like the OP stated, there are zero instructions.
my question is, is the solution in the bottle suppose to replace the tank water for tests Or is there a dilution factor involved? I put a drop of the solution in my manual salinity checker and it read .028 but the bottle says .026. I’ve zero’d it twice using tap water to ensure it was ‘t reading high. And my tank water on the manual checker is reading .026 and my apex is reading .025…… so something isn’t right.

Last edited:

Luke_l

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also wondering about this solution, i have an un opened bottle, but do you use it in place of tank water straight? or is there dilution factor @Fauna Marin

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back