How toxic are my Dino's to my fish?

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have small cell amphidinium dinoflagellates in my tank. Was wondering what affect the Dino's have on my fish as I am currently not running carbon. My tang seems to be breathing a little bit faster than normal. Could it be from the Dino's toxins?

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank was overrun with dinos - killed off some corals, generally pretty bad. Made me want to throw in the towel. My fish however, didn't seem to care one bit. I'm sure it affected them in some ways, and probably wasn't good for them - but I couldn't tell. The plan was "if the dinos kill off my corals, I'll just turn the lights off, and let the tank be a FOWLR tank for a while, and try again in the future" becasue ya, didn't seem to affect my fish at all...

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank was overrun with dinos - killed off some corals, generally pretty bad. Made me want to throw in the towel. My fish however, didn't seem to care one bit. I'm sure it affected them in some ways, and probably wasn't good for them - but I couldn't tell. The plan was "if the dinos kill off my corals, I'll just turn the lights off, and let the tank be a FOWLR tank for a while, and try again in the future" becasue ya, didn't seem to affect my fish at all...
Thanks...added some carbon anyways just for a couple days until my next prazi dose just to help take the toxins out.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tang seems to be breathing a little bit faster than normal. Could it be from the Dino's toxins?
I don't know, but I would be sure to feed the tang with algae sheets etc and not require the fish to graze on the dino-covered algae to get food.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have small cell amphidinium dinoflagellates in my tank. Was wondering what affect the Dino's have on my fish as I am currently not running carbon. My tang seems to be breathing a little bit faster than normal. Could it be from the Dino's toxins?
I had it and at the time no fish or corals been affected. To be on the safe side I have run carbon.
I had a Scopas tang and he was happy.
I hd some LPS and Zoas they didn’t seem to care either.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back