How well does BRS dry rock break apart?

Nubbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought about 50 lb of BRS dry rock and it just came in yesterday. Unfortunately, they ended up sending me gigantic boulders that will not work in the aquascape that I had in mind. Most of the rocks are the size of bowling balls. To make my scape work, I would need baseball to softball size rocks to glue together.

So, how well does BRS dry rock break? When it breaks, does it have a "natural" break or does it split like it was sawed in half? I'm trying to figure out if I can somehow salvage this rock and still use it or if I need to just try and resell it. If you have any tips or advice on how to break the rocks so they come out relatively round and "natural" looking, I'd appreciate it.

If this rock isn't salvageable, does anybody know where I can get similar rock but just smaller baseball to softball sizes?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First we have to officially welcome you if we have not already, so

#welcometoR2R

As far as rock. Brs, rock is rock so it will break. Some throw it in the air and let it break as it will. A hammer and chisel will work as well. The chisel may help be a bit more accurate on size, but either way the break will be somewhat random. You paid for the Brs, I would try to break it. You can always use big and small peice together to build your ideal scape.

upload_2019-3-22_18-20-32.gif

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are rocks, so use a hammer. However they look doesn’t matter, in a short period, these rocks will be covered in algae, Coraline, and corals
Curing these rocks, 6-8 weeks, is key to having life grow and attach quickly. Follow BRS instructions.
Why glue any rocks together? I believe it’s a mistake. I’ve changed my landscape several times.
Another big deal, try to keep only a few rocks on the bottom, thus allowing better water circulation. A few branches and shelves will do the trick. Don’t sell or dispose of any rock you have purchased, you will possibly use it down the road as your tank matures.

And very big Welcome to Reef 2 Reef !

U

User1

View Badges
Has @RobW noted above they have a video. You can use a chissel, hammer, larger screw driver (please wear eye protection), small pry bar, etc. Lots of ways to break it down. I had to do this with the Pukani rock I bought from them last year. Some of the sizes they could have been used for my front yard hard scape :(

OP
OP
Nubbie

Nubbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I'll break out my hammer and chisel in the next few days and hope for the best! Thanks for the BRS video suggestions!

bsbell12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's the reef saver rock, use a small sharp chisel. I'm in a similar situation now and that rock is hard. Drop a piece on the cement and it laughs at you. I also bought a diamond sawzall blade to cut a couple in half for a good flat sided base rock.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back