How would you control a chiller located far from your aquarium?

Leonard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know X10 used to be the way to do this. What are other current methods to control a chiller that is located remotely (e.g. outdoors)?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of aquarium controller are you using? For example, if you have an Apex, you can run a long AquaBus cable to a remote EB4 near your chiller to control its outlet while basing the programming on the temperature probe in your sump.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like this perhaps .....

OP
OP
Leonard

Leonard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies for not being clear, but my chiller is located in a location that has no way to connect any physical cable (no matter the length). On/off transmission must be wireless (e.g. X10, RF, WiFi). Is there any controllers that do this nowadays?

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're just going to turn it on and off manually, then any smart outlet with Alexa, Google Home or iOS connectivity will work. But if you need it to be controlled by an Apex, GHL or other controller than like mentioned above you need to run a long cable to said powerbar. At least I don't know of any powerbar that it's capable of wireless control from Apex or GHL.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 49 24.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back