How would you light a wide tank?

Caleb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
With the current “Made to Order” sale from Innovative Marine, I pulled the trigger on the EXT 170. They say that the wait time is 3-4 months but they happened to still have one in stock and I have already received it! I am upgrading from an IM 50 gallon AIO lit by 2 AI Prime 16HD. I have liked the Primes but I do enjoy Radions as I’ve had them in the past. The new tank is 60” x 30” x 21.75”. This is the widest tank I have had and I’m unsure of the best approach to lighting it. I do not plan on having an SPS dominant system, so I do not need to crank out a bunch of PAR, but I can’t stand to have a grossly underlit tank with bad shadowing, etc. As I stated, I really like Radions but I have also looked at more affordable options such as SmatFarm and Noopsyche. I would love to hear everyone’s opinion on how they would light a tank like this!

dstockwell

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI Straton.

Dimensions:18.5" x 18.5" (470mm x 470 mm)
Height / Thickness:0.5" (13mm)
Light Area Size:15.7” x 15.7” (400mm x 400mm)
Light Coverage Area:Up to 30" x 30" (762mm x 762mm)
Power Consumption:Up to 230 watts
Weight:9.4 lbs. (fixture only)
Total # of LEDs:153

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the current “Made to Order” sale from Innovative Marine, I pulled the trigger on the EXT 170. They say that the wait time is 3-4 months but they happened to still have one in stock and I have already received it! I am upgrading from an IM 50 gallon AIO lit by 2 AI Prime 16HD. I have liked the Primes but I do enjoy Radions as I’ve had them in the past. The new tank is 60” x 30” x 21.75”. This is the widest tank I have had and I’m unsure of the best approach to lighting it. I do not plan on having an SPS dominant system, so I do not need to crank out a bunch of PAR, but I can’t stand to have a grossly underlit tank with bad shadowing, etc. As I stated, I really like Radions but I have also looked at more affordable options such as SmatFarm and Noopsyche. I would love to hear everyone’s opinion on how they would light a tank like this!
You could get 4 more primes lol. BRS actually did an investigates on the primes and found 6 was the best for a 4' 120 gallon system.

OP
OP
C

Caleb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
ATI Straton.

Dimensions:18.5" x 18.5" (470mm x 470 mm)
Height / Thickness:0.5" (13mm)
Light Area Size:15.7” x 15.7” (400mm x 400mm)
Light Coverage Area:Up to 30" x 30" (762mm x 762mm)
Power Consumption:Up to 230 watts
Weight:9.4 lbs. (fixture only)
Total # of LEDs:153
These definitely look interesting! I’ll have to do a little more research before I spend that kind of cash though:p

OP
OP
C

Caleb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You could get 4 more primes lol. BRS actually did an investigates on the primes and found 6 was the best for a 4' 120 gallon system.
That’s a lot of Primes! As of right now I actually plan on making the 50 a CSB anemone and Frag grow out tank. Or it may just be an observation tank for the new fish in the 170:thinking-face:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I recommend 5 Orpkek OR3-90 bars installed vertically (3 sky blue and two blue plus)
OR
3 Ecotech XR15

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is what I'm running on my 75. I have 2 misso blue and 2 reef crest. They're very good lights with good coverage. The only thing about them is a pro and con I guess. There are no times or controls on them which makes them very straight forward to use, but you will need to get a timer power strip to run them. You adjust the par by mounting height and that's the only adjustability on them.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the lighting in my 60x30x18" tank. 4' AL Hybrid unit, which is 18" wide, with 2x T5's (ATI B+ and Actinic) at the outside edges. I'm using a pair of Kessel AP700's in the center, which gives me 4x LED 'pucks'. The Kessel's are supposed to cover 24", which only leave 3" on each side... with the added T5's, I get excellent par, all over... and the kessels are running at about 30% power, mainly because my system is pretty shallow.

I did par testing when I put this light into service a few years back, and was very happy with the results.

Lightbar.jpg

OP
OP
C

Caleb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I recommend 5 Orpkek OR3-90 bars installed vertically (3 sky blue and two blue plus)
OR
3 Ecotech XR15
3x XR15s is what I initially thought. However, I am concerned that they may not cover the full 30” front to back. I’m not opposed to some add-on LED strips to fill in the gaps.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
3x XR15s is what I initially thought. However, I am concerned that they may not cover the full 30” front to back. I’m not opposed to some add-on LED strips to fill in the gaps.
I realize your depth and thats were the angle of diodes on orphek bars would work well. Orphek Compacts would offer better coverage front to back also

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think if your goal is mixed reef, then bars and a couple fixtures between the bars would cover a lot. On the budget friendly side the Smatfarm G5 is no joke and will cover a good amount of space. The downside is there’s no app to connect and control them together, but onboard programming is straight forward. Reefi duo (or their other fixture?) is pretty nice looking and people seem to rave about them. I love contrast and hate the flat look, so I’m a big fan of Kessil’s. But if you like radions, then go for it. They’re great lights, just like all the other fixtures out there, every one will do the job, it just comes down to your preference, features, looks, aesthetics, etc. Another option would be a couple or three Coral Care 2’s. They’re not heavy blue, but adding a couple bars would do the trick. See, too many options. :p

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my priorities is maximum coverage with minimal # of fixtures/power supplies. I would shy away from something like 4x Primes, for example.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 of these but strictly manual control is " only" $600....

W legs perpendicular..hanging... parallel.
15x 30 area each.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back