How would you stock this fish list?

Paranoiattack91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish list isn’t 100% set but I do want to go pretty tang heavy on this new tank. That being said, I ordered a 180 gallon tank, stand and canopy from Crystal Dynamic back in January and it finally arrived this week. I will also be running a trigger systems CR44 (43 gallon) sump underneath. The rock ha been curing/cycling for the past 3 months in 55 gallon barrels and is ready to go. I will be quarantining all of my fish in a 40 gallon breeder for a minimum of 30 days. I’ve had a yellow corris wrasse and a pair of mocha clowns Qt’d for the last 6 weeks ready to go into the display once set up and stable. I guess my question is how would you go about adding the below fish/tangs since I obviously cannot qt them all at once in a 40 gallon breeder.

Diamond Goby
Midas Blenny
Flame Hawk
Gem Tang
Yellow Tang
Purple Tang
Sailfin Tang
Powder Brown Tang
Mystery Wrasse
Red Head Wrasse
Blue Tang
Yellow Eye Tang

Again, I understand 7 tangs may be a lot in a 180gl, so this list isn’t final. I am just curious on what order to qt and introduce them

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its going to be difficult to keep that many zebrasoma together. The sailfin, yellow, purple, and gem tang are likely to fight. If you for sure want them, get them at the same time or keep them in seperate qt tanks until you have all of them, then add all at once. I would also get them when theyre young. If they grow up together theyll be less likely to go after one another. The first will always want to establish their territory and wont like new tangs of the same varity so if added at the same time they can all work out their spots.

OP
OP
Paranoiattack91

Paranoiattack91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a lot of Zebrasoma. This is my go to source of info for anyone who is serious about mixing tangs.
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/tang-aggression-understanding-and-combating.76/

Its going to be difficult to keep that many zebrasoma together. The sailfin, yellow, purple, and gem tang are likely to fight. If you for sure want them, get them at the same time or keep them in seperate qt tanks until you have all of them, then add all at once. I would also get them when theyre young. If they grow up together theyll be less likely to go after one another. The first will always want to establish their territory and wont like new tangs of the same varity so if added at the same time they can all work out their spots.
Yea, the list Isn’t 100% final. I guess I am just more curious in what order Qt since I can’t qt all at once. I was thinking of adding the blue, powder brown and sail fin first as smaller fish. Then gem, yellow and purple together last. I probably wont end up doing the kole tang

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, the list Isn’t 100% final. I guess I am just more curious in what order Qt since I can’t qt all at once. I was thinking of adding the blue, powder brown and sail fin first as smaller fish. Then gem, yellow and purple together last. I probably wont end up doing the kole tang
I would substitute either the yellow or purple for the kole tang. that way youll have one less zebrasoma to worry about.

OP
OP
Paranoiattack91

Paranoiattack91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would substitute either the yellow or purple for the kole tang. that way youll have one less zebrasoma to worry about.
Ugh.. I was thinking I would need to reduce one also.. I love the purple tang but i feel the yellow would add the much needed pop of color. You might think I am crazy but I might cross out the gem tang instead.

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish list isn’t 100% set but I do want to go pretty tang heavy on this new tank. That being said, I ordered a 180 gallon tank, stand and canopy from Crystal Dynamic back in January and it finally arrived this week. I will also be running a trigger systems CR44 (43 gallon) sump underneath. The rock ha been curing/cycling for the past 3 months in 55 gallon barrels and is ready to go. I will be quarantining all of my fish in a 40 gallon breeder for a minimum of 30 days. I’ve had a yellow corris wrasse and a pair of mocha clowns Qt’d for the last 6 weeks ready to go into the display once set up and stable. I guess my question is how would you go about adding the below fish/tangs since I obviously cannot qt them all at once in a 40 gallon breeder.

Diamond Goby
Midas Blenny
Flame Hawk
Gem Tang
Yellow Tang
Purple Tang
Sailfin Tang
Powder Brown Tang
Mystery Wrasse
Red Head Wrasse
Blue Tang
Yellow Eye Tang

Again, I understand 7 tangs may be a lot in a 180gl, so this list isn’t final. I am just curious on what order to qt and introduce them
This is from first to last
Diamond goby
Midas goby
Blue tang
Purple tang
sailfin
Gem tang
Yellow eye
Powder brown
Then wrasses. I’m not good with these fish but in my old FOWLR I had some of these

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh.. I was thinking I would need to reduce one also.. I love the purple tang but i feel the yellow would add the much needed pop of color. You might think I am crazy but I might cross out the gem tang instead.
If your just looking for certain colors then a long nose butterfly could substitute for the yellow tang. The yellows are very close and both are bright.
20200519_143617.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Hawkfish is going to want a rock or artificial ledge to perch on (I use one of those neon orange eShopps small frag holders near the top on one side and mine loves it). Midas Blenny will be fine with basically anything, but he will want a nice cave or barnacle to take up residence in (prefers barnacles).

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do that many tangs, but it's your tank. If I had to, I would do two groups:

1: gem, kole, blue
2: yellow, purple, powder

Skip the sailfin, because of size.

OP
OP
Paranoiattack91

Paranoiattack91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do that many tangs, but it's your tank. If I had to, I would do two groups:

1: gem, kole, blue
2: yellow, purple, powder

Skip the sailfin, because of size.
Sailfin was one of my “must haves”. I might minus the kole and the one of the others but who knows at that this point. I am almost regretting getting the 180gl and wishing I would have gotten a 240gl+

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sailfin was one of my “must haves”. I might minus the kole and the one of the others but who knows at that this point. I am almost regretting getting the 180gl and wishing I would have gotten a 240gl+
Go big or go home or if you look at this hobby like I do I estimate the avg cost is about $100/gallon. Not that it scales linearly as nothing typically costs twice as much for twice the par, flow, or the like but nearing $20k on a fish tank is already a little steep for me.

OP
OP
Paranoiattack91

Paranoiattack91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go big or go home or if you look at this hobby like I do I estimate the avg cost is about $100/gallon. Not that it scales linearly as nothing typically costs twice as much for twice the par, flow, or the like but nearing $20k on a fish tank is already a little steep for me.
Yea, I am already well over $10k in and the tank isn’t even wet yet lol

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another suggestion I have regarding tangs is that I think many people want to keep a number of them in larger tanks because they are the only truly large reef safe fish. But there are other options which in my experience have been perfectly safe as long as kept well fed and that includes Genicanthus Angelfish and Pyramid Butterflyfish. Ofc these two are planktivores making them the safest bet but then there are also other special cases like some Rabbitfish and moreso other Butterflies like the Longnose or in special cases some of the deep water species.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another suggestion I have regarding tangs is that I think many people want to keep a number of them in larger tanks because they are the only truly large reef safe fish. But there are other options which in my experience have been perfectly safe as long as kept well fed and that includes Genicanthus Angelfish and Pyramid Butterflyfish. Ofc these two are planktivores making them the safest bet but then there are also other special cases like some Rabbitfish and moreso other Butterflies like the Longnose or in special cases some of the deep water species.
Agreed. Dump 2 of those Zebramosa Tangs and 2 Pyramid Butterflies or one Copperband imo....Copperband might nip at corals and might not....but, beautiful fish.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back