How's my sump layout look

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a CADE 1500, and I'm working on laying out my sump. I removed the socks to plumb-in a Reefmat 1200.

I was planning to put the heaters in the back. That would keep them out of the way, and help the cords reach the controller. How much space do I need between the heaters and my skimmer and reef mat?

I figured that in the front area I'd eventually add a refugium.

Return pump will live in the back right section.

I'm not sure what to put in the media baskets yet either. Maybe some marine pure balls? I figured those could help with a quarantine or isolation tank.

Does this seem reasonable? Any suggestions?

Thanks!!
Brett

IMG_1574.jpeg

IMG_1575.jpeg
IMG_1573.jpeg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only suggestion I have would be to remove the media baskets and put live rock or live rock rubble to help jump start the system. In my fuges I run a tray of rock rubble on the bottom not to deep then I run a chunk of chaeto on top of that. Set up like that my fuges are packed full of benificial critters.

OP
OP
BrettE

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would highly recommend setting up a refugium.
That is the plan eventually. I have a ton of room for a big ol' ball of chaeto, a power header maybe, and a light.
The only suggestion I have would be to remove the media baskets and put live rock or live rock rubble to help jump start the system. In my fuges I run a tray of rock rubble on the bottom not to deep then I run a chunk of chaeto on top of that. Set up like that my fuges are packed full of benificial critters.
I think that's a good idea. I was thinking of using some leftover crumbs of macro rock, marine pure balls, or some other sort of rock. Is the idea just to create more surface area for bacteria to live?

Thanks!
Brett

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of using some leftover crumbs of macro rock, marine pure balls, or some other sort of rock. Is the idea just to create more surface area for bacteria to live?

That and it will give critters like pods a place to thrive with no predation from the fish but they will still make their way to the display which is a good thing
If you can find some rock rubble from an established tank it would give you a jump start. I set up a tank in February and it was my first time using all dry rock and bare bottom but I added rock rubble from one of my mature tanks and it really helped out. I've not been experiencing all the "uglies" that's dry rock a start up normally gets.

OP
OP
BrettE

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That and it will give critters like pods a place to thrive with no predation from the fish but they will still make their way to the display which is a good thing
If you can find some rock rubble from an established tank it would give you a jump start. I set up a tank in February and it was my first time using all dry rock and bare bottom but I added rock rubble from one of my mature tanks and it really helped out. I've not been experiencing all the "uglies" that's dry rock a start up normally gets.
Sounds good--thanks!

kopal91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This practice supports a flourishing ecosystem. Using mature rock rubble can speed up the process, reducing the typical "ugly" phases associated with dry rock and bare-bottom setups.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would highly recommend setting up a refugium.
yes and in conjunction with that incorporate some manner of light control to keep the sump clean and algae free…
Only thing with heater placement is if it will remain submerged during a power outage, et
Thats a good idea with the bio media … I keep a bag or 2 just for quarantine or emergencies … Even a clean trash can with a bag and a powerhead works to a functional degree for medicating et

kopal91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes and in conjunction with that incorporate some manner of light control to keep the sump clean and algae free…
Only thing with heater placement is if it will remain submerged during a power outage, et
Thats a good idea with the bio media … I keep a bag or 2 just for quarantine or emergencies … Even a clean trash can with a bag and a powerhead works to a functional degree for medicating et
Consider implementing light control to maintain a pristine sump by inhibiting algae growth. However, ensure the heater location accounts for potential power outages to prevent damage. Utilizing bio media, whether used for emergencies, storage purposes, or quarantine, is a smart move. In a pinch, a clean trash can coupled with a bag, the powerhead, suffices for administering medication. Adaptability is crucial!
insta pro

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back