HOWTO: Seneye V2 SUD + Raspberry Pi 4 / 400 - Full Seneye.me Support!

Indoor Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds really good and definitely preferable! Though you said you can't activate the slides with it? Does that mean you can't do ammonia and pH measurements?
Can still read those things. All it means is when you add the new slide in so need to enter the code to activate it that this must be done when connected to the PC. Straight after you can switch back to the Pi.

Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can still read those things. All it means is when you add the new slide in so need to enter the code to activate it that this must be done when connected to the PC. Straight after you can switch back to the Pi.
That sounds perfect, thanks so much. Do you have a link to more info on how you run this or set it up?

Edit: sorry I read back and see you linked it before I posted in this thread. I'm going to pick up a pi and give it a go!

Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm possibly not understanding the problem you are solving here but if you haven't seen the repo below then worth checking out in case it does what you're after already. It's not mine but I used it to interface my seneye to my raspberry pi. I run node red to write the seneye data to Google sheets for charting.
Is this an issue for you? I'd assume not? How did you get around it?
Screenshot_20211119-085125.png

Indoor Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this an issue for you? I'd assume not? How did you get around it?
Screenshot_20211119-085125.png
I saw that mesaage but not had a problem. I'm not interested in reading values outside the water. In fact the seneye app seems to stop out the water too. Not quite sure what the original posts were getting to regarding the USB 2 vs USB 3 but in could affect you I have a very old pi (one of the first ones made) so it'll be an older USB version. I haven't used a slide in a while as I think they're not that good but here's a couple of screenshot to show it running now collecting temp and also when I first set it up with the slide showing pH etc. I connect it to the app every now and again to do par readings but still not seen it stop reading

I'll try and do a bit of a write up or a video on setting things up but might not be for a few weeks.
Screenshot_20211118_220454_com.google.android.apps.docs.editors.sheets.jpg
Screenshot_20211118_220426_com.google.android.apps.docs.editors.sheets.jpg

Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that mesaage but not had a problem. I'm not interested in reading values outside the water. In fact the seneye app seems to stop out the water too. Not quite sure what the original posts were getting to regarding the USB 2 vs USB 3 but in could affect you I have a very old pi (one of the first ones made) so it'll be an older USB version. I haven't used a slide in a while as I think they're not that good but here's a couple of screenshot to show it running now collecting temp and also when I first set it up with the slide showing pH etc. I connect it to the app every now and again to do par readings but still not seen it stop reading

I'll try and do a bit of a write up or a video on setting things up but might not be for a few weeks.
Screenshot_20211118_220454_com.google.android.apps.docs.editors.sheets.jpg
Screenshot_20211118_220426_com.google.android.apps.docs.editors.sheets.jpg
That's awesome and I'd highly appreciate any further info you've got! With not using the slides, does that not prevent ammonia and pH readings? Or do you mean you don't change them and just leave an old one in and that records it fine?

Indoor Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome and I'd highly appreciate any further info you've got! With not using the slides, does that not prevent ammonia and pH readings? Or do you mean you don't change them and just leave an old one in and that records it fine?
It doesn't record them once the slide expires. I do have two new slides waiting to be used but I don't think they're that good or helpful really. I'm building an alk monitor at the moment, which will also read pH. After that I'll have better confidence whether the seneye readings are good or not. pH seemed so low (lower than I think it probably is but not cross checked it yet) with the marine setting on so I switched it to without and it seems more reasonable. Others have reported this too. I don't really like the lack of accuracy statement compared to devices by the likes of Hanna either. I was also diassapointed when the device kept failing to upload readings to the official app after it'd been used offline then reconnected. I contacted seneye support and they weren't really interested and said the caching doesn't work properly so leave it connected to the app or buy the Web server. I'd bought it hoping to use it in the caching mode after the feature was advertised on the website. Lost a lot of respect for the company after that interaction due to their lack of interest.

End of the day though, the tank looks good and all the corals are growing well (have done for a while) so I'm not taking any seneye readings too seriously. It's the PAR meter that I mainly got it for. I like that feature.

Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't record them once the slide expires. I do have two new slides waiting to be used but I don't think they're that good or helpful really. I'm building an alk monitor at the moment, which will also read pH. After that I'll have better confidence whether the seneye readings are good or not. pH seemed so low (lower than I think it probably is but not cross checked it yet) with the marine setting on so I switched it to without and it seems more reasonable. Others have reported this too. I don't really like the lack of accuracy statement compared to devices by the likes of Hanna either. I was also diassapointed when the device kept failing to upload readings to the official app after it'd been used offline then reconnected. I contacted seneye support and they weren't really interested and said the caching doesn't work properly so leave it connected to the app or buy the Web server. I'd bought it hoping to use it in the caching mode after the feature was advertised on the website. Lost a lot of respect for the company after that interaction due to their lack of interest.

End of the day though, the tank looks good and all the corals are growing well (have done for a while) so I'm not taking any seneye readings too seriously. It's the PAR meter that I mainly got it for. I like that feature.
Yup I feel you that sounds like a poor interaction. I'm mostly concerned with using it to monitor temperature, ammonia, pH while I'm away from the house and alert me when levels are way out of the norm. It seems to monitor pH reasonably closely to what my redsea test shows, and temperature seems right too. I'm not sure on the accuracy of ammonia but I dosed with some ammonium chloride and it spiked and has been slowly going down (my tank just completed a cycle). So at the very least I can be comfortable setting the alert to a lower amount and know it'll detect levels above normal even if the accuracy might not be perfect, which is still suitable for my use case.

I'm keen to test out the par around the tank also, and be able to map out where to place varieties of coral :)

Lerequin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!

So after a long time debugging, pulling out my hair, monster energy drink and slightly frustrated and hungry fish I can finally say I cracked the code! I was able to get the Seneye V2 SUD working on Raspberry Pi 4 like a charm. These kits made by Canakit are available from your local Best Buy for less than $100! This method is confirmed to work and works great!

You will need the following:​

• Seneye V2 SUD (may work with V1, someone please confirm with this hardware)
  • Raspberry Pi 4 / 400 (I am using the 4b, already has built in Wi-Fi & Ethernet)
  • VirtualHere Linux Server (To go on Raspberry Pi)
  • VirtualHere Client (To go on any client system supported by Seneye, currently only Windows & Mac)
  • Seneye Connect V2 Software Installed on Client
Note: Both the Raspberry Pi and the Client System (PC/Mac) must be running for this to work and Seneye.me to update. Update your power settings so that the display turns off but not the computer. You can also enable Kiosk mode in Seneye Connect, if available.

Here's the steps, these may vary slightly for you:​

1. Make sure you have your Raspberry Pi running the latest version of Raspbian OS (default settings work fine).
  2. Install VirtualHere Linux Server on Raspberry Pi, instructions can be found here: https://github.com/virtualhere/script
  3. Edit/Create VirtualHere config file: /usr/local/etc/virtualhere/config.ini (Use your preferred editor such as nano or vim and you may need to put sudo before it for permissions)
  4. Add the following on 2 new lines at the bottom: ClaimPorts=1 onReset.9463.8708= (These codes are SUPER important, the first is the vendor code and the second is the product code, without this in the config the SUD will not be recognized!)
  5. Edit/Create the following file: /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules and put this inside. (Not sure if this is necessary for everyone, but it worked for me. Just incase it's deleted: SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idProduct}=="8708", ATTRS{idVendor}=="9463", MODE="666", GROUP="plugdev")
  6. Restart Raspberry Pi
  7. Install VirtualHere Client on your Client PC/Mac
  8. Your VirtualHere Client should show a list of USB devices connected to your Raspberry Pi and that should now include the Seneye SUD! Yay!

Frequently Asked Questions:​

• Why aren't any devices showing up? Make sure that both the server and the client are on the same network, either Wi-Fi or Ethernet. The first step is getting them on the same network, they should EasyConnect after that!

Thanks so much! If this was helpful and you feel all giddy, reach out and let me know or leave your comment below!
Thanks @NomadRVLife, this is a great workaround to the overpriced webserver!

OP
OP
NomadRVLife

NomadRVLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, still working on my end. We may look into switching to Felix Smart, it's an alternative to Seneye looks like they totally reverse engineered it..

mark-aus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI Nomad, can you think of anything else you had to do to get this up on the Rpi4? I can get VH to see the Pi usb and other things plugged in will show up, but the Seneye wont. I got it running using VH and the windows box its currently on so its definitely not locked out to VH.

I'm assuming for some reason VH cant access the HID devices, OS taking a lock on it or something.

Edit: Which Raspbian image are you on?
Thank you, still working on my end. We may look into switching to Felix Smart, it's an alternative to Seneye looks like they totally reverse engineered it..

Last edited:

Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if this would allow you in anyway to bypass constantly having to use expensive slides for the seneye. I paid a huge chunk for the actual products and didn't even realise I was being sold a subscription service until it was too late :/

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if this would allow you in anyway to bypass constantly having to use expensive slides for the seneye. I paid a huge chunk for the actual products and didn't even realise I was being sold a subscription service until it was too late :/
I've never replaced the card since I bought it over 3 years ago.
Par meter and temp. works just fine without it.
Rest doesn't of course.

They didn' t change it to a requirement did they?

Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rest doesn't of course.

Temperature still works for me but I'd love to monitor pH and ammonia too without shelling out that much money. Maybe it's cheaper in the states (almost everything is) but in Australia it's quite a lot to get replacement slides

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rest doesn't of course.

At $140 US per year, no not really cheap.
Thing that bothers me is the slides " may" be good for longer than 1 month.
Artificial " time over".
Don't know for sure though.

There are definitely cheaper ways to monitor.

mark-aus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you can't bypass the check it's hard coded into the SUD. Once my supply of slides runs out (3 months) I think I'll switch to an Apex or GHL and stop monitoring Ammonia anyway. Seneye can then just be a PAR meter for when I need it.

mark-aus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so after powering on the Pi today it magically started working. :thinking-face: I implemented all the bits in the initial post.

I am assuming it has something to do with order of connection of the SUD or service start etc etc. But virtualhere working perfectly from Pi4 running the 32bit default OS to Windows machine running the 64bit Windows client.

mark-aus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so further to that, presently it seems to randomly work or not work based on unplugging it and plugging it back in. I did just notice this:

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 24f7:2206 Seneye ltd Seneye SUD v 6.0.2
idVendor 0x24f7
idProduct 0x2206

Seems to be different to the ones posted earlier.

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!

So after a long time debugging, pulling out my hair, monster energy drink and slightly frustrated and hungry fish I can finally say I cracked the code! I was able to get the Seneye V2 SUD working on Raspberry Pi 4 like a charm. These kits made by Canakit are available from your local Best Buy for less than $100! This method is confirmed to work and works great!

You will need the following:​

• Seneye V2 SUD (may work with V1, someone please confirm with this hardware)
  • Raspberry Pi 4 / 400 (I am using the 4b, already has built in Wi-Fi & Ethernet)
  • VirtualHere Linux Server (To go on Raspberry Pi)
  • VirtualHere Client (To go on any client system supported by Seneye, currently only Windows & Mac)
  • Seneye Connect V2 Software Installed on Client
Note: Both the Raspberry Pi and the Client System (PC/Mac) must be running for this to work and Seneye.me to update. Update your power settings so that the display turns off but not the computer. You can also enable Kiosk mode in Seneye Connect, if available.

Here's the steps, these may vary slightly for you:​

1. Make sure you have your Raspberry Pi running the latest version of Raspbian OS (default settings work fine).
  2. Install VirtualHere Linux Server on Raspberry Pi, instructions can be found here: https://github.com/virtualhere/script
  3. Edit/Create VirtualHere config file: /usr/local/etc/virtualhere/config.ini (Use your preferred editor such as nano or vim and you may need to put sudo before it for permissions)
  4. Add the following on 2 new lines at the bottom: ClaimPorts=1 onReset.9463.8708= (These codes are SUPER important, the first is the vendor code and the second is the product code, without this in the config the SUD will not be recognized!)
  5. Edit/Create the following file: /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules and put this inside. (Not sure if this is necessary for everyone, but it worked for me. Just incase it's deleted: SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idProduct}=="8708", ATTRS{idVendor}=="9463", MODE="666", GROUP="plugdev")
  6. Restart Raspberry Pi
  7. Install VirtualHere Client on your Client PC/Mac
  8. Your VirtualHere Client should show a list of USB devices connected to your Raspberry Pi and that should now include the Seneye SUD! Yay!

Frequently Asked Questions:​

• Why aren't any devices showing up? Make sure that both the server and the client are on the same network, either Wi-Fi or Ethernet. The first step is getting them on the same network, they should EasyConnect after that!

Thanks so much! If this was helpful and you feel all giddy, reach out and let me know or leave your comment below!
Registered here to respond to this and see if there might be another solution.

I've installed Windows 10 on a Pi4 using these instructions:

The system boots and I was able to install the Seneye app, but it's not picking up the SUD when plugged into the USB port and I have no WiFi either despite the fact that it's built into the Pi4b (I'm guessing it's a driver issue?) so I'm not sure what to do next. Perhaps one of you experts can opine on how to get this running - if it's even possible to do so?

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
NomadRVLife

NomadRVLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got both good news and bad news.

The bad news is that I no longer use this system, although it was awesome for its intended purposes. I was not happy with the limitations set by Seneye especially when I am buying their products monthly.

The good news, I switched over to Felix Smart, its a much better solution and uses similar tech to Seneye (including official Seneye refill slides).

If you want to keep using this solution it sounds like you need to get Wi-Fi working on your Pi first. There is several chat channels and forums that offer support for Pi configuration, also check your instructions to make sure you don't have to flip a toggle or install a driver over Ethernet first.

As for the connectivity issue, if the connection ever drops and your computer sees the hub still on the Pi, unplug the usb and plug it back into another port on the Pi. I would only get a drop occassionally and this fixes it, I could tell Seneye did an update and tried to halt it but unfortuntely it didn't work. (Yep, Seneye, read this post and weep)

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.8%
Back