Huge drop in Alkalinity

navidreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I tested my alk with a Red Sea test kit last afternoon and it was 8.7 dKH . This morning I tested before the lights came on and alk was at 5dKH . Any ideas what’s going on? I have a airline going out the window as well for my protein skimmer . I run:

GFO in reactor
55 watt UV
Protein skimmer
Carbon in media bag

My tank Total volume is 100 gallons and I have
3 tangs
2 wrasse
2 big clowns
Trigger fish
2 very small
Lots of inverts (30 or so)
Not many corals all softies

I always battled this sort of drop in alk. Minimum 2 dKH per day and now it’s 3.5 sometimes . Please help!

OP
OP
N

navidreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh also I started dosing vibrant twice a week for past 2 weeks now

OP
OP
N

navidreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason my magnesium levels have always been higher 1850 ppm for mag and calcium is 445

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With just softies, that rate of consumption doesn’t make sense.
In my 180G with a very well stocked mixed coral set including 5, 6 inch clams, my daily rate of consumption is 0.05dkh in 24hrs.

As already mentioned, MG must be kept in the 1260-1360 range or you will have great difficulty keeping Alk stable.

The only other consideration I have is testing error, or bad kit.

Ive dosed Vibrant for months with little to know change in consumption.

Maybe get a second opinion on those test results.

OP
OP
N

navidreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, i just tested my tank magnesium again, but this time I used a more accurate syringe to get exactly 2 mL for my Red Sea Test kit. I believe my last syringe was not accurate and I was pouring more sample water in my vial then I should of hence why the inaccurate test results. this time around my magnesium came out to 1495 ppm!.

OP
OP
N

navidreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change and a list of what you are currently dosing would be helpful but @Randy Holmes-Farley might suggest a better course of action.
i just tested my tank magnesium again, but this time I used a more accurate syringe to get exactly 2 mL for my Red Sea Test kit. I believe my last syringe was not accurate and I was pouring more sample water in my vial then I should of hence why the inaccurate test results. this time around my magnesium came out to 1495 ppm!.

OP
OP
N

navidreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 180G with a very well stocked mixed coral set including 5, 6 inch clams, my daily rate of consumption is 0.05dkh in 24hrs.

As already mentioned, MG must be kept in the 1260-1360 range or you will have great difficulty keeping Alk stable.

i just tested my tank magnesium again, but this time I used a more accurate syringe to get exactly 2 mL for my Red Sea Test kit. I believe my last syringe was not accurate and I was pouring more sample water in my vial then I should of hence why the inaccurate test results. this time around my magnesium came out to 1495 ppm!.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Uncle is that a typo lol? Ur daily is only 0.05 dkh per day? I thought I remember randy saying at one point that a tank, esp a well-stocked reef, is about 0.5 dkh to up to 4 dkh daily. Mine is pretty well stocked too and does 1.5 dkh per day. Mag is at 1350 so probably not a lot of precipitation, i also dont see visual signs of precipitation either.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back