HUGE outbreak of aiptasia

Lisavet2000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gotten rid of unwanted pests on my live rock by putting them in a bath of low salinity water like 1.010 in a tub with a power head and change the water every day for three or four days until they are dead then wash the rocks off with fresh water. Then I put them back into fresh salt water at full salinity for a few days then put them back in the tank. It kills everything but the coralline Algae and rocks look normal again. Not sure what to do with sand. Not sure you could treat the whole tank that way because after the first day the water is pretty nasty. I think I would consider starting over. Sorry.

I have the exact same problem in my 150. I have also tried this method. It works but you really have to do it to all the rocks at the same time and make sure there are no aptasias in the over flow or sump. If there is any left they will start to pop up all over again. They are evil!!!! My plan is to just take out all the rock and replace it but only after I make sure there is no aptasias left anywhere. It's going to be a long process which is why I still haven't done it. I just have taking out some of the rock a little at a time. I have thought about just getting a file fish. But I need to get my tank in better shape before adding a fish to it. I have abandoned it since the aptasias have taking over. I must say that I did in the past have very good success with banner fishes eating the aptasias. But as soon as the aptasias are gone they will go after the coral.

Last edited:

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. My 300 looks the same. Aiptasia X just seemed to make the problem worse. I put a bunch of berghia in in August and am still waiting to see any results...fingers crossed. I dread having to start over.

Vspetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am from denmark, so if my language is a little off, is there an explanation.
But if you are using a manual way to fight them, be sure to not "frightening" the aptacia because they will then release the eggs and you will have more aptacias

SalinFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
896D248F-8F32-42D0-80D4-943FF6F66445.jpeg
321F19E9-738E-4A28-B8FA-AB5DE0A057BE.jpeg
4836266E-5673-446C-ACE3-B178A9E770DB.jpeg
D8AA7F46-B3AE-471B-B268-2B71D9B10C96.jpeg
I unfortunately have extensive experience with AIPTASIA. I too Have a Large Niger Trigger (Tyrone), do Nudibranch were a no go for me as well. I will Swear By The Matted Filefish (pictured) just because you might not see it Grazing on AIPTASIA, it does most of its work when the lights are off. I also purchased last year a Product Called The MAJANO WAND from Marine Depot. Using the wand is a Great In between AIPTASIA Controller, but with your outbreak, the Filefish is the way to go. Get a medium sized one, but I would get a little AIPTASIA piece and put it in the bucket during acclimating. Good luck I have been there whereas my tank was being overrun and more importantly it was threatening some of my coral. MAJANO WAND my Friend.
That wand is the best! I also invested in one, definitely money well spent. That and several peppermints for the ones I couldn't see did the trick for me.

Also, if you have an extra tank and can quarantine the rocks you're going to blast, that would also serve you well. After I blasted the worst ones, I rinsed them in a bucket of sw to get the residue off, then I rinsed them in coral rx and followed those directions.

Best of luck, they are tenacious monsters.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using REEF2REEF mobile app

Itsander

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to add file fish and copperband butterfly but I was nervous they would all fight along with my triggerfish. I think a custom built laser would take me forever to kill them wouldnt it? and dont you have to suck them out then?
A laser will work, but just the ones in the front will die, the ones in the back will stay alive, add a file fish and keep an eye on him. Good luck.

RudyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drop in at leat 10 to 15 peppermints in and try to find Berghia Nudibranchs they worked for me a long time ago. They only eat aptasia so once they run out of food they die. Good Luck.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I need to post an update here, but as crazy this is to say.

I see 0 aiptasia in my tank. The butterfly and peppermint shrimp got completely rid of everything within a month.

The butterfly fish I have are a Kleins, Racoon and Copperband. The Copperband is the smallest but as much as it picks, I can tell if I got a large that would be the best but since my Kleins in the largest, he definitely ate the most aiptasia. Literally would just bite the huge ones, pretty amazing to watch.

I also know the peppermint shrimp (I bought 20 for only $60) did a great job as the rock clusters they hide in where completely rid of aiptasia within 2 weeks.

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to post an update here, but as crazy this is to say.

I see 0 aiptasia in my tank. The angelfish and peppermint shrimp got completely rid of everything within a month.

The butterfly fish I have are a Kleins, Racoon and Copperband. The Copperband is the smallest but as much as it picks, I can tell if I got a large that would be the best but since my Kleins in the largest, he definitely ate the most aiptasia. Literally would just bite the huge ones, pretty amazing to watch.

I also know the peppermint shrimp (I bought 20 for only $60) did a great job as the rock clusters they hide in where completely rid of aiptasia within 2 weeks.
Nice!

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anther reason l love butterfly fish. Glad it worked out!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back