Humu humu trigger fish chomp sound

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's mine , he's just over 6", in a fowlr.

20210610_192156.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL look at that mouth!
How long have u had him or her lion?
How big when u got?
D

I've had him about 5 years, he was about 3.5" when I got him. One of my 1st fish 30 years ago was a picasso, I had him for 12-13 years and even then lost him to a tank crash.

OP
OP
monkeyCmonkeyDo

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not. Im lieing to myself by thinking i got a baby smaller than ur thumb and i can grow him/her up to be a law abiding citizen. LOL.
The chomp will soon come down on my acans and blastos prob yes. Lol.
I had a filefish once that ate $60-$80 acan lord colonies the size of both ur fists. Lol. Little $30 fish ate $300 corals todays prices. Lol.
I point my finger very strictly and say nooooo. Noooooo. Lol
D

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries it won't eat your corals, I've got 6 triggers in my reef, a Clown, Assasi, Huma, Niger, Pinktail, and a black Hawaiian and only the Clown on rare occasions chomps on an acro just a bit, but I like fish better than corals, here's a pic for reference of alot of different types of corals in my tank and no issues.
20210513_154816.jpg

OP
OP
monkeyCmonkeyDo

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend has a picaso in her 300-400g reef too. She says he turns things over and moves thinga but leaves the coral.
We will see over time. I keep him pretty fat and happy. Lol. He just pickin on all the new coral frags i added. New tank taste. Lol
D

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend has a picaso in her 300-400g reef too. She says he turns things over and moves thinga but leaves the coral.
We will see over time. I keep him pretty fat and happy. Lol. He just pickin on all the new coral frags i added. New tank taste. Lol
D
That's exactly what my Clown trigger does to new frags, picks em up then drops them. Have no idea why and how the heck he knows it's new mixed in the jungle of corals. I actually enjoy it when he does it since he doesn't damage them then after a day he stops.

OP
OP
monkeyCmonkeyDo

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought maybe he was cleaning em or eating the small worms and crustanceans off of em. Like the little pods or micro critters. Triggers only have 2 teeth? The two sharp ones? Idk how he knew the new ones vs the old ones either! Lol
D

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought maybe he was cleaning em or eating the small worms and crustanceans off of em. Like the little pods or micro critters. Triggers only have 2 teeth? The two sharp ones? Idk how he knew the new ones vs the old ones either! Lol
D

Some triggers actually have corals in their diet in the wild.

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a picasso an niger in my reef tank going on 3 years. My picasso has nibbled a couple LPS but doesn't seem to touch my softies. Recently , he ate about 4 heads off a candy cane coral. I caught him doing it. The coral is starting to grow back though. The main thing is if I buy a small frag the picasso will pop the coral off the frag. I've lost a few in my 180 gal. he doesn't bother any of my other fish though, he leaves that up to the niger who likes to chase everyone.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ours has never touched a coral and he was a chicken nugget when we got him and he's much bigger. He has a go with snails and hermits all the time, some wins, most losses. When he does snap though it sounds like someone flicking drywall it's so loud you can hear it around the house.

Now our sailfin..

Back