Hung's Rainbow, let's see it!

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this piece from a friend of mine, Anyone else have it? Would love to see a colony pic.

Mine took a long while to encrust, lost it's color in an alk swing, but now is roaring back to life and starting to branch.

The colors on this acro are so crazy to me!

1620706806207.png

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this piece from a friend of mine, Anyone else have it? Would love to see a colony pic.

Mine took a long while to encrust, lost it's color in an alk swing, but now is roaring back to life and starting to branch.

The colors on this acro are so crazy to me!

1620706806207.png
I had a very nice piece doing well, then had some issues in the grow out tank, and I now have one small piece (min colony sized) that is re-growing. It's a very slow grower though. Here was a pic taken about 6 months before the issue. One of my favorites for sure!

CRT Hungs Rainbow Explosion-2.jpg

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is my favorite photo of it.
PC051688.jpg

This colony got much bigger and I fragged it out completely before I realized I hadn't taken another nice shot of it.
Here's when it was bigger but just sort of an accidental phone shot through the side of the prop tank that doesn't show colors at all:
IMG_4391.jpeg

Dont have another big colony like this at the moment. Next best one right now is a little under half of this size and a bunch of encrusting frags from mama that I've been sitting on.

Definitely one of my all time favorite corals!

Coling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much light/flow are y'all giving your Hung's Rainbow? Mine is at about 450 PAR with strong flow. It has pretty good color but no sign of growth or even encrusting after a few months. Not sure if I should move it or not.

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
How much light/flow are y'all giving your Hung's Rainbow? Mine is at about 450 PAR with strong flow. It has pretty good color but no sign of growth or even encrusting after a few months. Not sure if I should move it or not.

This coral is quite finicky and loves to stall out. I use nighttime polyp extension and amount of yellow on the tips of my vertically growing colonies as an almost daily barometer of how stable and happy my system is and what my phosphate level is.

I have grown out colonies of it from 400-550PAR, so I think your lighting is fine.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This coral is quite finicky and loves to stall out. I use nighttime polyp extension and amount of yellow on the tips of my vertically growing colonies as an almost daily barometer of how stable and happy my system is and what my phosphate level is.

I have grown out colonies of it from 400-550PAR, so I think your lighting is fine.
Do you use the night time gauge as a measure on all acros or just this one? Can you say a bit more about that?

Coling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you!

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Do you use the night time gauge as a measure on all acros or just this one? Can you say a bit more about that?
Can use it on all as an indicator of healthy active growth. Some days/times PE will be extreme and that is a good sign. If you have a few days or a week where it is basically nil, something is probably off. It is also an indicator of where new growth (apical corallites) are starting to form on an encrusted base or older branch.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can use it on all as an indicator of healthy active growth. Some days/times PE will be extreme and that is a good sign. If you have a few days or a week where it is basically nil, something is probably off. It is also an indicator of where new growth (apical corallites) are starting to form on an encrusted base or older branch.
Agreed.gif

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! One last pick of your brain. Do you feed your sps things like Phyto, oyster feast, etc?

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thank you! One last pick of your brain. Do you feed your sps things like Phyto, oyster feast, etc?
I make a DIY blender food that is a mix of various seafood, mysis, ReefRoids, nori, etc. I feed it to fish, but also blend some really fine and freeze small cubes to feed to corals. Seems to help with PE.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 14.3%
Back