OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We should use the rest as clean water matching temp and salinity ideally. Canister filter water may not be clean, we are preventing waste transfer in each step, all new is fine. After it’s all set up, reduce the light settings and duration and re ramp, this is bleach prevention for coral. Them leaving the rocks out for six hours is rare lol but an awesome test for live rock. i bet 99% of readers don’t agree it will live, I’d bet all chips it will. We will know by how clean the new tank is in the morning. If clear, success. If cloudy that’s problem.

another reason we rinse sand totally is to have no accessory clouding false alarm for ammonia issues. Take pics pls we use these ordered assembly pics in work threads

here are the two threads your tank is undertaking:

skip cycling with live rock. We never listed one time there that air emersion would kill it, we think it won’t.

and sandbed rinsing:
Ok so pour out old water from canister. Do I need to rinse filter media and everything or just keep as is? I will take pics of everything. I never did a build thread so maybe I will.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reef tanks dont need filter media I know how crazy that sounds but its part of the sand rinse thread above and how we plan for big tank relocation jobs

all reefs run the same with or without that media simply because live rocks are enough, for the same reasons we can freely blast the sand same goes for all filter media, tap rinse then ro.

nice job catching that source of muddy water, agreed clean that up nicely too.

Even though scoring new water is a hassle there is one additional step left

sometime tomorrow do another partial water change. That will guide it home, tonite it will sit fine in the current new water. But tomorrow just to export any ?’s that last small water change is perfect

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reef tanks dont need filter media I know how crazy that sounds but its part of the sand rinse thread above and how we plan for big tank relocation jobs

all reefs run the same with or without that media simply because live rocks are enough, for the same reasons we can freely blast the sand same goes for all filter media, tap rinse then ro.

nice job catching that source of muddy water, agreed clean that up nicely too.

Even though scoring new water is a hassle there is one additional step left

sometime tomorrow do another partial water change. That will guide it home, tonite it will sit fine in the current new water. But tomorrow just to export any ?’s that last small water change is perfect
Ok how much water change for 30 gal.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This job didn’t need any bottle bac, that’s pretty cool. In no way would a few hours out harm bac on pet store live rocks. They’re shielded in biofilm insulation.

5 gallons would be fine for tomorrow

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This job didn’t need any bottle bac, that’s pretty cool. In no way would a few hours out harm bac on pet store live rocks. They’re shielded in biofilm insulation.

5 gallons would be fine for tomorrow
Ok hope not. Was dreading going back to lfs with 2 year old lol

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to verify

the live rocks you bought came from a holding tank at the lfs, and have coralline or algae or fanworms or some living pigments signifying it’s alive, is that right

those visual attachments are how we know it’s cycled vs painted or dry rocks used for reefing

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to verify

the live rocks you bought came from a holding tank at the lfs, and have coralline or algae or fanworms or some living pigments signifying it’s alive, is that right

those visual attachments are how we know it’s cycled vs painted or dry rocks used for reefing
Yes. I asked if they dip them or anything and he said they drybthem first and then add them to the tank with bacteria. I have not examined yet for live coralline

Sarlindescent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're really concerned about saving some bacteria, scoop out a solo cups worth and add save it. Rinse the rest and add to tank. Then add the saved sand on top. Even if you add a small percentage of the detritus back, removing 99% will get you there.

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're really concerned about saving some bacteria, scoop out a solo cups worth and add save it. Rinse the rest and add to tank. Then add the saved sand on top. Even if you add a small percentage of the detritus back, removing 99% will get you there.
Too late

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By adding old sand/ customizing the transfer process:

can’t wait to see how it’s all doing today.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what the lfs’ take on live rock transfers is for the customers, as most places at least wet pack them out of concern for bac loss

your lfs just sends them out after lifting them out of the tank, no water or wet pack? If so they’re the only lfs doing that, it’s pretty progressive stance on bac for sure, the reigning mode is constant fear bacteria on wet surfaces have been killed. Do they give a usage timeline/ max time a customer can have the rocks out of water?

we can assess your skip cycle today by seeing a pic. If water is clear and fish are distributed normally vs hovering at the top sideways, we know you skip cycled.

specifically, a positive ammonia test reading in the presence of normal water, no smell, normal fish behavior does not mean there’s a problem. It’s all in the visuals.

Last edited:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just going to add to not use your hand to swirl around the sand while cleaning it if you had bristle worms in there. Those suck to find between your fingers.
Ask how I know..

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what the lfs’ take on live rock transfers is for the customers, as most places at least wet pack them out of concern for bac loss

your lfs just sends them out after lifting them out of the tank, no water or wet pack? If so they’re the only lfs doing that, it’s pretty progressive stance on bac for sure, the reigning mode is constant fear bacteria on wet surfaces have been killed. Do they give a usage timeline/ max time a customer can have the rocks out of water?

we can assess your skip cycle today by seeing a pic. If water is clear and fish are distributed normally vs hovering at the top sideways, we know you skip cycled.

specifically, a positive ammonia test reading in the presence of normal water, no smell, normal fish behavior does not mean there’s a problem. It’s all in the visuals.

that your lfs pays for wet shipped rock (weight/live) then dries it out, killing everything but the bac, and then pays again on the rock with storage time and bottle bac after it showed up wet (meaning full of bacteria) is the most backwards lfs rock handling I’ve heard of, they’re losing money. It’s like they don’t want any pods being sent home with customers
Yes they took liverock out of tank and packed it in dry bag. Maybe the evaporation kept it alive. I didn't pick up any fish yesterday. That's the one thing I noticed about rinsing sand that I completely forgot about was the copepod population I had built up was dead floating around last night when I added the water, so I'm going to have to buy more.

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just going to add to not use your hand to swirl around the sand while cleaning it if you had bristle worms in there. Those suck to find between your fingers.
Ask how I know..
Thankfully no bristleworms, I had a pressure washer nozzle for water hose so it did really well. Had to rinse the sand about 7 times, until the water came clear

Attachments

• 20210315_225540.jpg
    20210315_225540.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the water from the coral bags from lfs, hopefully didn't mess up with doing so

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to verify

The rock I examined does not look to have any live coralline

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not joking: I thought you had no water. that does qualify as clear

the rocks look fine to me, this was a rinse run like no other, is that what u are saying

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not joking: I thought you had no water. that does qualify as clear

the rocks look fine to me, this was a rinse run like no other, is that what u are saying
Haha. Yes this was a more satisfying reset than I've had in the past with dirty sand. I hope it's smooth sailing from here. I'm going to check ammonia soon. Maybe get a fish today. I was on the fence whether I should cover the rest of the bed with sand but I kind of like the aspect of barebottom and sand. So are there any additional steps? Do I still need to do 5 gallons waterchange? I'm so sick of mixing water, was up until 5am doing so.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back