HW Marinemix mixing high Alk

shakygator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone out there using HW Marinemix Reefer salt that can or has tested Alk recently?

I have been using this salt for a few years now and although I have not ever tested a fresh mixed batch before, the BRS provided mix details have always seemed accurate to me as I keep my tanks around 8 dKh. Normal water changes have partially maintained but never spiked my alk within range. I do also dose liquid soda ash to maintain.

Upon BRS analysis - hw-Marinemix Reefer contained Calcium at 445-450 ppm, Alk of 9.0 dKH, Magnesium at 1380 ppm.

Recently BRS was out of stock of HW marinemix and there was a period before they restocked. Once they restocked I purchased 2 boxes since I was out (I had actually just bought a box of RedSea Blue then they got HW in like the next day). Long story short I was having some issues in my frag system so I was doing several 30% water changes and when I tested the alk in that system it was over 10 dKh. This surprised me, considering HW is supposed to mix under 10 dKh. I did a second test to verify and it was within range again. So I tested a freshly mixed batch @ 1.025-1.026 and to no surprise it tested at 13.4 dKh. My other system is reading at 8.6 dKh, which is where I expect it to be, so I don't think my checker is off.

So my question is - did HW change their concentrations? Did this most recent batch have QC issues? I have not tested my second box yet. I just opened it today though so I will report back those readings as well.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone out there using HW Marinemix Reefer salt that can or has tested Alk recently?

I have been using this salt for a few years now and although I have not ever tested a fresh mixed batch before, the BRS provided mix details have always seemed accurate to me as I keep my tanks around 8 dKh. Normal water changes have partially maintained but never spiked my alk within range. I do also dose liquid soda ash to maintain.

Recently BRS was out of stock of HW marinemix and there was a period before they restocked. Once they restocked I purchased 2 boxes since I was out (I had actually just bought a box of RedSea Blue then they got HW in like the next day). Long story short I was having some issues in my frag system so I was doing several 30% water changes and when I tested the alk in that system it was over 10 dKh. This surprised me, considering HW is supposed to mix under 10 dKh. I did a second test to verify and it was within range again. So I tested a freshly mixed batch @ 1.025-1.026 and to no surprise it tested at 13.4 dKh. My other system is reading at 8.6 dKh, which is where I expect it to be, so I don't think my checker is off.

So my question is - did HW change their concentrations? Did this most recent batch have QC issues? I have not tested my second box yet. I just opened it today though so I will report back those readings as well.
I have always had is mix at 8.6 DKH. I used it for 3 years before recently switching.

tylertheman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard some people say to mix up the salt powder before adding to your mixing container. Like rolling the bucket around. Something do to with the different compounds not always being mixed together well leading to inconsistent batches.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard some people say to mix up the salt powder before adding to your mixing container. Like rolling the bucket around. Something do to with the different compounds not always being mixed together well leading to inconsistent batches.
You shouldn’t need to do that with this particular salt.

OP, have you calibrated your refractometer lately? That would be my first check. I’ve never had an issue with this salt before.

OP
OP
shakygator

shakygator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP, have you calibrated your refractometer lately? That would be my first check. I’ve never had an issue with this salt before.

Yes, it was calibrated.

I'm still using the same salt, no oddities since posting this back in April.

tylertheman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree that it isn't likely with HW Marinemix. Being a high quality synthetic salt. But Jay Hemdal posted an article about measuring salinity and in it he says,
"Remember that it is always better to use an entire bag of sea salt mix than to try to take small amounts from a bag. Not all salt mixes are homogenous – and by dipping out a cup of salt from a larger bag, you may be selecting an area of the bag that has more of one compound than it should have. Additionally, once a bag is opened, if not resealed well, the salt begins absorbing moisture from the air, making it weigh more and possibly clump up."

Attachments

• Salinity and Marine Aquariums.pdf
    606.1 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
shakygator

shakygator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I keep my opened bag in a food grade bucket with a gamma seal and big silica packet on the bottom.

I do not mix the salt before scooping though.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back