Hybrid light for my sps reef

Peppe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guys do you recommend the best light for my 120x55x55 full sps reef? aquatic life hybrid(+ 3 xr 15 g4 or other led light?) or ATI Hybrid? I would like to have super colors even with daylight. which is the best solution?

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing those measurements are in centimeters and not inches? :p
I'd say both are excellent choices, I use an ATI hybrid, and couldn't be happier (I think ;) ) And will use a larger model for my new build

However: I'd say with the ATI your main light source will be T5, whereas with the Aquatic Life your main light source will be LED with the added coverage of the T5.
Both are "tried and tested", and definitely work! I guess it'll come down to your own preference. I prefer the "cleaner" look of the ATI fixture, especially when hung over a rimless, canopy-less, tank :)

I'd say though, I wouldn't put a 4-bulb ATI hybrid over that tank, it's in my mind just a little too wide for the 4 bulb. I'd go with a 6 or 8 bulb.

OP
OP
Peppe

Peppe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing those measurements are in centimeters and not inches? :p
I'd say both are excellent choices, I use an ATI hybrid, and couldn't be happier (I think ;) ) And will use a larger model for my new build

However: I'd say with the ATI your main light source will be T5, whereas with the Aquatic Life your main light source will be LED with the added coverage of the T5.
Both are "tried and tested", and definitely work! I guess it'll come down to your own preference. I prefer the "cleaner" look of the ATI fixture, especially when hung over a rimless, canopy-less, tank :)

I'd say though, I wouldn't put a 4-bulb ATI hybrid over that tank, it's in my mind just a little too wide for the 4 bulb. I'd go with a 6 or 8 bulb.

the thing that scares me is the fact that in the ati hibrid there is no possibility of putting a diffuser on the LEDs as in the radion g4, forcing me to keep the ceiling light very high from the surface of the water .. while with the radion using the diffusers I could keep the structure even at 15 cm without needing to reduce the power of the LEDs, maximizing also the effect of the t5; what do you think about it?

Kaiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giesemann Stellar Hybrid. Looks clean and has a nicer material to it imo. Excuse the cables, i ended up with the Radion cables coming out the right side and the t5 cables out the left.
IMG_20190409_144106.jpg

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the thing that scares me is the fact that in the ati hibrid there is no possibility of putting a diffuser on the LEDs as in the radion g4, forcing me to keep the ceiling light very high from the surface of the water .. while with the radion using the diffusers I could keep the structure even at 15 cm without needing to reduce the power of the LEDs, maximizing also the effect of the t5; what do you think about it?
I understand your worry, however I don't consider that to be such a big issue.

Why would you need to keep the LEDs at max if you're achieving proper light levels even with the LEDs at 50, 60 or 80%? I mean they're dimmable, even the T5's are dimmable (unless you do the 80w version) You'll achieve just as uniform light "blanket" since you'd be using more T5's and they'd cover more from side to side. I'd highly doubt you'd face any issue with light spread with either fixture to be honest :) The LEDs are fairly wide-angled on the ATI as well

And as I previously said, ATI = mainly T5 with LED accents, Aquatic life + Radions = mainly LED with T5 accents :) It's all preference from there ;)

OP
OP
Peppe

Peppe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand your worry, however I don't consider that to be such a big issue.

Why would you need to keep the LEDs at max if you're achieving proper light levels even with the LEDs at 50, 60 or 80%? I mean they're dimmable, even the T5's are dimmable (unless you do the 80w version) You'll achieve just as uniform light "blanket" since you'd be using more T5's and they'd cover more from side to side. I'd highly doubt you'd face any issue with light spread with either fixture to be honest :) The LEDs are fairly wide-angled on the ATI as well

And as I previously said, ATI = mainly T5 with LED accents, Aquatic life + Radions = mainly LED with T5 accents :) It's all preference from there ;)

with which of the two options would it be easier to obtain the desired results? in case of acquaticlife hybrid would be fine 3 xr15 g4?

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with which of the two options would it be easier to obtain the desired results? in case of acquaticlife hybrid would be fine 3 xr15 g4?

This is just my opinion, and I'm sure some share it with me, and some disagree:
Easier = T5 mainly, ie ATI. There's no denying that the "blanket" of fairly "soft" lighting just simply works, and the ATI is the most effective T5 unit I've ever heard of.

BUT this is also dependant on what your "desired results" are, both will grow and color corals :)
If you want a clear shimmer, then the radion units are probably better, the ATI shimmer is very subdued.

If you decide to go with aquatic life + radions I'd suspect that 3 XR15 G4's will be a wise choice :)

OP
OP
Peppe

Peppe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just my opinion, and I'm sure some share it with me, and some disagree:
Easier = T5 mainly, ie ATI. There's no denying that the "blanket" of fairly "soft" lighting just simply works, and the ATI is the most effective T5 unit I've ever heard of.

BUT this is also dependant on what your "desired results" are, both will grow and color corals :)
If you want a clear shimmer, then the radion units are probably better, the ATI shimmer is very subdued.

If you decide to go with aquatic life + radions I'd suspect that 3 XR15 G4's will be a wise choice :)

thank you for your opinion ... I am looking on the forum and I see many beautiful reefs under ati but few under radion and t5 if not with blue and choral lics that look like light bulbs with false colors ... I think a beautiful coral should also be seen under whites and not just under royal and uv ..

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back