Hydor ATO failed in on position

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I woke up this morning and heard the high level sensor alarm going off and killed the smart plug I have it powered by (have a group for it and my return pump to kick off during feedings). Got some coffee to get my brain going and decided to see why it was going off...

Evidently, the ATO called for 5 gallons of RODI in the night!! I just topped off the reservoir so I know exactly how much was called for. 5 gallons is normally 4-5 days of evaporation.

Has anyone experienced this with Hydor ATOs? I know it's not the best one out there, but I've been running for 3 years with no issues besides annoyances with some of the programming for alarms.

I'm buying a backup level switch for redundancy, but now feel I should replace this ATO controller. What ATO system do you use?

20210926_090505.jpg

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze Osmolator 3155 is what I use. I like the dual fail points and it came so highly recommended by well, everyone. I think the same backup can work with a float valve or controller shut off on level or perhaps a pump on a timer to fill a container within a container (your 5 gallon bucket) to limit the available water. Lot's of options but at end of day...all the backups compared against Tunze seemed a bit complex. And simple is always best.

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze Osmolator 3155 is what I use. I like the dual fail points and it came so highly recommended by well, everyone. I think the same backup can work with a float valve or controller shut off on level or perhaps a pump on a timer to fill a container within a container (your 5 gallon bucket) to limit the available water. Lot's of options but at end of day...all the backups compared against Tunze seemed a bit complex. And simple is always best.
Yea I've been toying with the idea of getting the Tunze just for its namesake and known reliability. This might be the straw that broke the camels back on trusting my current ATO.

The real scary part is my reservoir is 15 gallons so it could've been much worse!

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I've been toying with the idea of getting the Tunze just for its namesake and known reliability. This might be the straw that broke the camels back on trusting my current ATO.

The real scary part is my reservoir is 15 gallons so it could've been much worse!
It has a higher price tag than most but I don't think the price exceeds the value. Well designed and very reliable. I have some regrets with purchases for my tank (unneeded top end lighting, MP10 that I barely used, etc) but the Tunze Osmolator isn't one of them.

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've discovered what the issue was for this failure. It happened again this morning, but I was actively working on the tank and was able to catch it!

I use a TOM Aqua lifter pump for the ATO and it appears that the siphon control stopped working. My ATO reservoir (when full) has a water line above the sump and I heard a dripping from my ATO line. I've used this reservoir for a few months now with no issue other than these two instances.

I'm deciding if I want to take the opportunity to replace the entire ATO system (Hydor controller and Aqua lifter) or just get a different type of ATO pump and add an optical sensor as a fail safe.

We are leaving town at Thanksgiving for an entire week so I would like to make sure the system is as bullet proof as possible...hence I'm leaning a bit to drop the money on the Tunze or Xp Aqua Duetto set-up.

Thoughts?

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you just raise the terminus of the hose so that it is above the water level of your reservoir so it can't back siphon?

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I just had a facepalm moment with that thought. It's amazing how much tunnel-vision you can get at times. I was actually working on this fix when you replied! But thank you, regardless!

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've discovered what the issue was for this failure. It happened again this morning, but I was actively working on the tank and was able to catch it!

I use a TOM Aqua lifter pump for the ATO and it appears that the siphon control stopped working. My ATO reservoir (when full) has a water line above the sump and I heard a dripping from my ATO line. I've used this reservoir for a few months now with no issue other than these two instances.

I'm deciding if I want to take the opportunity to replace the entire ATO system (Hydor controller and Aqua lifter) or just get a different type of ATO pump and add an optical sensor as a fail safe.

We are leaving town at Thanksgiving for an entire week so I would like to make sure the system is as bullet proof as possible...hence I'm leaning a bit to drop the money on the Tunze or Xp Aqua Duetto set-up.

Thoughts?
I have this same unit and experienced the same issue. I now have a sicce pump for my ATO reservoir with a valve to regulate the flow (Slow it down). I then know how high to fill my brute reservoir to avoid a syphon affect. Before, I would fill it to the top and it wouldn't stop filling my tank.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back