HYDRA 32HD OVER A 30INCH LONG TANK

Ignatios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I wanted your opinion. I have a 30 inch long, 15 inch wide and 15 inch deep tank. Mostly lps inside and just added few sps that i was gifted from a friend. This was an update from my smaller tank and i am running a single ai prime 16hd. I want to change it to a hydra 32hd, since i found one in a really good price, will it be enough light?
Thank you

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I wanted your opinion. I have a 30 inch long, 15 inch wide and 15 inch deep tank. Mostly lps inside and just added few sps that i was gifted from a friend. This was an update from my smaller tank and i am running a single ai prime 16hd. I want to change it to a hydra 32hd, since i found one in a really good price, will it be enough light?
Thank you
It will be a good upgrade for sure, you won't quite get full coverage with one of these though.

One Hydra 32 can cover up to a 24" x 24" area and be strong enough to support LPS and soft corals as per makers instructions. If keeping SPS, you should adding one Hydra 32 for every 15" x 15" square area.

OP
OP
Ignatios

Ignatios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be a good upgrade for sure, you won't quite get full coverage with one of these though.

One Hydra 32 can cover up to a 24" x 24" area and be strong enough to support LPS and soft corals as per makers instructions. If keeping SPS, you should adding one Hydra 32 for every 15" x 15" square area.
Thank you.
Yeah i have seen the makers instructions. They give the same coverage area for the prime as well. Well my lps are happy with the prime, been running for a month like this, but i think i might need a stronger light so as to make sure i cover them better. The edges of the tank are nearly coral free or just a gsp rock and zoas. I made it so the rock is about 24'' so to get maximum light i can on the corals

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.
Yeah i have seen the makers instructions. Well my lps are happy with the prime, been running for a month like this, but i think i might need a stronger light so as to make sure i cover them better. The edges of the tank are nearly coral free or just a gsp rock and zoas
If your corals are happy- why the need for another light?

A month is not a long time to make any assumptions as to whether your tank is thriving or not. Have you verified with a PAR meter that you get the required output for successfully keeping the livestock you do? :) Many LFS's now rent these out so it may be an idea.

As to whether you need a strong light. remember that it is easier to over-light your corals than the other way around.

OP
OP
Ignatios

Ignatios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your corals are happy- why the need for another light?

A month is not a long time to make any assumptions as to whether your tank is thriving or not. Have you verified with a PAR meter that you get the required output for successfully keeping the livestock you do? :) Many LFS's now rent these out so it may be an idea.

As to whether you need a strong light. remember that it is easier to over-light your corals than the other way around.
Yeah i know it is not enough time. I had them under the same light in a smaller tank but same depth for a year now. Unfortunately i am in Greece and i can't find anyone able to help me with PAR meter....i have tried several times in different chat groups. I am just going with it however i can.

Yeah maybe i will get another ai prime and space them as you guys say.

Thank you

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’ve got 32HD over a 24”x20” tank and it gets good light all the way to both sides. You’re only talking about another 3” on each side, so even if you end up with less light on the very edges it will be fine. Put the SPS generally in the middle and keep the lower light stuff to the edges. You can always add a second one later if you get SPS crazy and want to pack it to both edges.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you
I think you will be fine. Just put higher light corals in the center. With a 15" deep tank, you should be able to get enough light.

*It really depends on how good a deal the 32hd is though. There's a chance you'll need more par depending on your SPS needs and two 32's on a tank with your dimensions would likely be too much. If you can justify giving it a try, I would. I had two 26hd's on a 90 gallon (48 long, 18 wide, 24 tall) and that was plenty, not even at full power. But I don't really have SPS either.

OP
OP
Ignatios

Ignatios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 32HD over a 24”x20” tank and it gets good light all the way to both sides. You’re only talking about another 3” on each side, so even if you end up with less light on the very edges it will be fine. Put the SPS generally in the middle and keep the lower light stuff to the edges. You can always add a second one later if you get SPS crazy and want to pack it to both edges.
Yeah that was what I was thinking as well. Thank you.

OP
OP
Ignatios

Ignatios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be fine. Just put higher light corals in the center. With a 15" deep tank, you should be able to get enough light.

*It really depends on how good a deal the 32hd is though. There's a chance you'll need more par depending on your SPS needs and two 32's on a tank with your dimensions would likely be too much. If you can justify giving it a try, I would. I had two 26hd's on a 90 gallon (48 long, 18 wide, 24 tall) and that was plenty, not even at full power. But I don't really have SPS either.
Well I want basically to keep the 3 sps frags that I have for now at least and continue with lps corals all around. Was just thinking about the hydra since I can get a 1 year used at 35% at half of the new ones price

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I want basically to keep the 3 sps frags that I have for now at least and continue with lps corals all around. Was just thinking about the hydra since I can get a 1 year used at 35% at half of the new ones price
Sounds like a good plan!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back