Hydra 64 vs RadionG5 XR30 pro

KennethM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I am currently looking for the right lighting for my red sea reefer 300.
I would like to keep mainly SPS corals.
I am in doubt between 2x hydra 64HD or 2x radion G5 XR30 pro.

Can you guys help me further?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi everyone,

G5 XR30 PRO for sure (IMHO) - I use 2 of them on my Red Sea 525 - and they are plenty. I was not happy with Hydra 64 for various reasons (multiple technical issues, etc). The interface with the radions was easier and more intuitive than the Hydra. Im sure others will have different ideas

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - your tank is about 36 inches - your lights will be about 24 inches. I have 2 on my 59 inch tank - and it is plenty of light (and spread). I wonder if you should consider 2 of the XR 15 G5 Pros? which are smaller with similar (supposedly) spread?

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
G5 XR30 PRO for sure (IMHO) - I use 2 of them on my Red Sea 525 - and they are plenty. I was not happy with Hydra 64 for various reasons (multiple technical issues, etc). The interface with the radions was easier and more intuitive than the Hydra. Im sure others will have different ideas
I found it to be opposite. I liked the Hydra 64hd's better than the xr15 pros. The mobius app is crap in my opinion. The AI app is a little better but I spoke to AI and they are planning to move all their AI stuff over to the Mobius platform.

I like the AI's but I am looking at the Neptune Sky. They have potential.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Let’s be honest … you can’t go wrong with either!

Upfront with you, I haven’t had the chance yet to run ecotech radion but from successful sps tanks I see great results . Same as Ai hydra , but next time around I’m buying new Radions to give ‘em a try. You can’t go wrong

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always been a huge AI fan. I love their apps and I’ve always had plenty of success with their lights. That said, I may give the Radion a try when I decide to upgrade my lights (currently using reefbreeder). FWIW, a lot of the SPS tanks I see use Radions but the Hydras are equally capable.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ford versus Chevy. Oh, you're in Belgium...Then BMW versus Volvo, or something like that.

XR30s cost a little more, but also have a little more wattage.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I found it to be opposite. I liked the Hydra 64hd's better than the xr15 pros. The mobius app is crap in my opinion. The AI app is a little better but I spoke to AI and they are planning to move all their AI stuff over to the Mobius platform.

I like the AI's but I am looking at the Neptune Sky. They have potential.
Interesting - yes - I agree with you -I used the xR30. But - with his tank size - given the choice I would stick with that I said. my xR30's have been rock solid. AI was not. I'm curious - what are the problems with mobius that you have had?

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi everyone,

I think they will both grow sps well, the biggest difference is going to be pricing!

From my experience if you don't care about price, the radions will have better spread and less shimmer.

I upgraded from a hydra to radion blue because i wanted more blue light as I kept the whites on the hydras turned down and also wanted more spread without having to mount the hydra super high.

I think both apps are ok and have their little annoyances in design so i wouldn't make my decision based on the app as you should really only need to set it up once.

Kyle_bania

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I run both on my 150 but if I had to pick one and switch to just that I would say the xr30 would be my pick

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Interesting - yes - I agree with you -I used the xR30. But - with his tank size - given the choice I would stick with that I said. my xR30's have been rock solid. AI was not. I'm curious - what are the problems with mobius that you have had?
I don't find the app to be all that intuitive. I am a IT guy but I am also older and I don't find working on phone via app very appealing. I found it to be buggy as well. the AI app is cleaner, but its an app. Both take a lot of work to get ramp up and down set. It would be way easier to have a time graph as well as a color graph and build a curve up and down. both apps have that but it takes way to many steps

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't find the app to be all that intuitive. I am a IT guy but I am also older and I don't find working on phone via app very appealing. I found it to be buggy as well. the AI app is cleaner, but its an app. Both take a lot of work to get ramp up and down set. It would be way easier to have a time graph as well as a color graph and build a curve up and down. both apps have that but it takes way to many steps
I wish there was a way to use mobius on the computer (with bluetooth)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
better yet. give control back to the Apex
Actually - I never use the apex to control my equipment - I find it unreliable - and difficult - and adds one more 'part' that can fail. I ditched it once it left my lights on for 24 hours straight when the module failed. I just use the equipment provided with the device for all my devices.

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Actually - I never use the apex to control my equipment - I find it unreliable - and difficult - and adds one more 'part' that can fail. I ditched it once it left my lights on for 24 hours straight when the module failed. I just use the equipment provided with the device for all my devices.
completely understandable. I have never had issues with my Apex but **** happens with all electronics

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS on YouTube have a good video on this question. It's full of info,
Without watching the video though, I would say the Radeon XR30 is better. It's going to have a higher overall spread, max intensity and the spectrum is fully adjustable anyway. It could be repurposed and tuned for the most ideal settings at a wider variety of aquarium sizes than the Hydra, therefor In my opinion I determine the XR30 to be much better to be honest as it can always be repurposed, and it can always be dialed in for a larger as well as a deeper tank than the Hydra.
I run a Zetlight 1201, a pretty crap light. I had been thinking about upgrading to a 16HD but I may as well go all out and go with Mobius as I already have an MP10. That's why I'm here anyway :) Needs a lighting upgrade and going XR30.

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
BRS on YouTube have a good video on this question. It's full of info,
Without watching the video though, I would say the Radeon XR30 is better. It's going to have a higher overall spread, max intensity and the spectrum is fully adjustable anyway. It could be repurposed and tuned for the most ideal settings at a wider variety of aquarium sizes than the Hydra, therefor In my opinion I determine the XR30 to be much better to be honest as it can always be repurposed, and it can always be dialed in for a larger as well as a deeper tank than the Hydra.
I run a Zetlight 1201, a pretty crap light. I had been thinking about upgrading to a 16HD but I may as well go all out and go with Mobius as I already have an MP10. That's why I'm here anyway :) Needs a lighting upgrade and going XR30.

FYI- AI is moving over to Mobius. they didnt say when but they are moving over to it.

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I had been thinking about the XR15, I saw a couple pro's for $400ea that come with warranty and it had me thinking you are better off with 2 lights to get a good diffusion of light. It would be cool to slightly angle the lights to light up the underside of the corals a little more. I only run a WB25g so I really only need like a 16hd but I just want the tunability of an XR15. I didn't know that Kristoff. Will the current 16HD's 32's etc, have some kind of firmware update to be Mobius compatible or will they release a whole new chain of Aqua Illumination Mobius lighting?

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yeah I had been thinking about the XR15, I saw a couple pro's for $400ea that come with warranty and it had me thinking you are better off with 2 lights to get a good diffusion of light. It would be cool to slightly angle the lights to light up the underside of the corals a little more. I only run a WB25g so I really only need like a 16hd but I just want the tunability of an XR15. I didn't know that Kristoff. Will the current 16HD's 32's etc, have some kind of firmware update to be Mobius compatible or will they release a whole new chain of Aqua Illumination Mobius lighting?
I don't know how or what AI is going to do with the switch to Mobius. The Tech I spoke to said the AI app will still be supported but the new Wifi features will come from Mobius

I ended up going with 3x XR15 pros. I also upgraded them to Wifi. Its still in the beta stage but so far I have had no issues.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back