Hydras pucks going bad

gobeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I've got 3 AI Hydras that I purchased in June 2012. About 2 weeks ago I noticed that on one of the lights, two of the four blue LEDs have stopped working on the blue/white pucks (on the diagonal). I also just yesterday that on one of the other lights, one of the blue LEDs is now not working on only one of the pucks.

I can order replacement pucks at $50/puck - but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this and is this just a sign of the beginning of the end - should I replace the pucks or replace the lights?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would trouble shoot it first. Electronics spray and then trade connectors, to see if its a driver issue.

OP
OP
gobeach

gobeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.jegs.com/i/Eastwood/352/...7&cadevice=c&gclid=CKy9pdO7tdACFUtNfgod6RAEuQ
I use it on cars cameras power supplys etc. Avail at electronics stores and auto supply and the net.

So clean the connectors, not necessarily the circuit board (I'm assuming there's some kind of board inside the casing) - I'll give it a try - don't want to invest in new lights now because I just brought in a 225G used tank and if I decide that I like having that big of a tank I will eventually transfer everything from my 100G to my 225G.

Thanks for the feedback!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So clean the connectors, not necessarily the circuit board (I'm assuming there's some kind of board inside the casing) - I'll give it a try - don't want to invest in new lights now because I just brought in a 225G used tank and if I decide that I like having that big of a tank I will eventually transfer everything from my 100G to my 225G.

Thanks for the feedback!
yes correct. check out utube vids, same process as changing a puck. Youll likely find a lot of dust. blow it out, then disconnect and spray the connectors. be careful of the spray on plastic and lenses is the only caution.
heat may have built up because of the dust, or dust helped leach moisture and salt in.

m88a2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had the same thing happen to a hydra with only 2 years of use. keep us updated on how you trouble shoot turns out.

OP
OP
gobeach

gobeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks I took one of the lights apart, thought I might have found the problem as the motherboard had pulled away from some of the pins on the lights. I pulled off the motherboard, sprayed the dust off - although there wasn't much dust inside the light, mostly outside. I used some electronic cleaner spray on the pins but have confirmed that 3 of the 4 Royal Blue lights do not work. The 4th Royal Blue light is on its way out also - at full power it just lightly flickers. The other 2 lights are showing similar symptoms.

Question for you all - these lights are just plain Hydras - should I upgrade them? or order new ones? pros and cons of both?

Thanks.

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you got 4 years out of the pucks. Unless you wanted to purchase all brand new lights I would say just replace all the pucks with new ones. Even replace the pucks that have no bad diodes because from the look of things they might be on the way out so their output will be quite lower than the new pucks which you will notice.

OP
OP
gobeach

gobeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To close on this thread, I ordered 6 new pucks - 2 per unit. AI gave me a great deal (-$100) because I had to wait for the pucks. I just installed them and the lights look great. It was an easy install - happy tank! I can't wait to see how the tank responds now with the blues back in action. Thanks for all of the input on this.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back