Hydrogen Peroxide 35% for green hair alage

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers GM,

I have green hair algae issue in my frag tank and I want to dose hydrogen peroxide 35 %, but I don't know what dosage to start with and what is the method of dosing, Can I pour in the measured dose or dose slowly over period of the day. Thank you

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers GM,

I have green hair algae issue in my frag tank and I want to dose hydrogen peroxide 35 %, but I don't know what dosage to start with and what is the method of dosing, Can I pour in the measured dose or dose slowly over period of the day. Thank you

Instead of dosing peroxide try manually removing the hair algea and adding a clean up grew or a tang..

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed a tang will make short work of that. If your frag is a smaller tank just house the tang until too big then rehome or trade for a smaller one and repeat!

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have removed it manually but tangs does not eat long strand, just want to bring this to low and then have tangs maintain this,

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, hydrogen peroxide may not work on GHA.

I would dilute it by 3 and try injecting a few ml with a syringe to a problematic area. Then you can slowly increase the concentration.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a search on Reef Flux. Many people have had good luck using it. Or try adding pincushion or tuxedo urchins.

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers GM,

I had the same problem. My last ditch effort was peroxide and it DEFINITELY worked. I used 12% ordered off Amazon. I did not broadcast dose. I turned off all flow and hit the algae directly with a syringe. Let it sit, flow off, for a few minutes. It will bubble up and fizz. MAX of 1ml per 10 gallons per day. It took me several days using this method but it finally worked. Urchins and tangs are good but mine did not touch the long stuff.

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was peroxide and it DEFINITELY worked. I used 12% ordered off Amazon. I did not broadcast dose. I turned off all flow and hit the algae directly with a syringe. Let it sit, flow off, for a few minutes. It will bubble up and
I had the same problem. My last ditch effort was peroxide and it DEFINITELY worked. I used 12% ordered off Amazon. I did not broadcast dose. I turned off all flow and hit the algae directly with a syringe. Let it sit, flow off, for a few minutes. It will bubble up and fizz. MAX of 1ml per 10 gallons per day. It took me several days using this method but it finally worked. Urchins and tangs are good but mine did not touch the long stuff.

Thank you for your reply, so broadcast dosing will not work?

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I attempted broadcast dosing and all I got in the end was ticked off corals and faded sps.

Direct dosing may work better. Fluconazole worked for me it got rid of gha in about 6 weeks

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when people broadcast, its with 3% about 99% of the time. That 35 you have is rocket fuel, be very careful with it. Id prefer one drop of bleach in the eye over one drop of that stuff, its an instant blinding agent. Its not like any chem you have in the house, once you get some on skin you'll see :)

do not store it in a house with children under the sink, treat it like a firearm against the cornea, I'm telling you its a literal one shot no takeback blinding agent. when my child lived at home I used it on spot treatments then dumped the rest out. I did not keep the liquid avail for kid rule breaking when I was not looking etc

before broadcast dosing, try and search out people who added 35 to the tank, the dilutions used, its hard to find data. 35% is mighty dangerous, know your list of peroxide sensitives and tolerants before proceeding.

Britons and Canadians cannot even possess 35%, we're spoiled :) and their vision is safer as a society due to that rule although Id still want access to it for me, I wear eye protection and use it correctly. its the best GHA tool in the universe, when you use it correctly.

Motor is right about risk, and you are about to input orders stronger soln

there is a way to treat the GHA with peroxide and its among the best ways, but its done externally and not via the water. you begin by taking out one frag and using a knife to clear the attached algae from surfaces, the knife makes it clean via rasping.

then in the clean spot, one drop of 35% is wicked about in the cleaned area as cell cleanup only, that frag stays algae clear a long time now.

do the whole tank this way, not one bit added to water so no perox touches coral only the target.

GHA almost never attaches to coral flesh. for example on a candy coral frag head glued to a plug, the algae attaches to the base/skeletal region and not the flesh, so where we're working with knives no coral flesh is being harmed. its true Fluconazole is safer and might work, but its restricted to a few genera for targets.

its ideal to be practicing internal locus of control GHA control, where you are the final say and not some kind of wait and dose option. water dosers and fluc / hoping something works/ is only to be used in systems so large or complex you literally cannot access the substrates and frags for hand guiding. direct hand guiding and peroxide on target only will wipe gha from any system regardless of params at play.

Last edited:

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
before broadcast dosing, try and search out people who added 35 to the tank, the dilutions used, its hard to find data. 35% is mighty dangerous, know your list of peroxide sensitives and tolerants before proceeding.

Does anyone know where to obtain 35% online?

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know where to obtain 35% online?

35% is unnecessary. 12% from amazon will do just fine. I’m a poster child for GHA, that is until I wiped it clean a year ago with peroxide. 12% will just take a few days for it to completely die off and go away.

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so if I pour in the tank won't help, I have to pick spot and treat it on the spot?
It will not help to broad cast does it. What want to do is spot treatments, to induce a chemical burn to the algae’s cell wall. It works for small annoying patches here or there. If you have a big hair algae problem, one of the many other methods work. First you need to deal with nutrients by any variety of means. If you have a nasty like bryopsis, fluconazole works, but be ready for a surge of nutrients as it dies.

35% peroxide is a powerful oxidator. Wear full protection: gloves, old full sleeved shirt, face and especially eye protection.

Good luck!

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will not help to broad cast does it. What want to do is spot treatments, to induce a chemical burn to the algae’s cell wall. It works for small annoying patches here or there. If you have a big hair algae problem, one of the many other methods work. First you need to deal with nutrients by any variety of means. If you have a nasty like bryopsis, fluconazole works, but be ready for a surge of nutrients as it dies.

35% peroxide is a powerful oxidator. Wear full protection: gloves, old full sleeved shirt, face and especially eye protec

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cant wait to see results/pics.

by this time, an entire 90 gallon reef could've been wiped totally clean without and hesitation, even if it was 3%.

updates

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back