Hydrogen Peroxide dips

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here are two peroxide threads to read that are large enough, using other people's tanks in a yearslong pattern, that you can predict what will happen in your tank.

the weakest organism in reefing to perx is the lysmata shrimp, any trace conferred into it's water can and does routinely kill them, most other things are tolerate of doses of 3% perx diluted to 1 mil per ten gallons of tank water, which is this entire thread:

there are no fifty page work thread on full strength dips, that's new boundary pushing. if you start dipping stuff I'll be interested to know what survives and what doesn't

here is a huge thread using peroxide to fix tanks, and we don't dump into the water like that thread above.

Yeah its not 100% of 3% H2O2. Must be diluted. Your target is 150PPM H2O2 to your water.

Last edited:

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw BRS TV's Latest video which talked about dipping in 100% strength hydrogen peroxide not mixed with salt water so in effect it's a freshwater dip also. They claim it wipes out Algae and most pests and 90% of corals survive it. Has anyone done this? I am more concerned with killing dino's on frags TBH but they didn't say specifically if it works for those.

I am a bit too scared to do a 100% dip with no mixed in salt water but interested in anybody's experience with what strength to use to stop cross-contamination with dinos from one tank to another. And before anyone pipes up saying dino's is in every tank bla bla, I know this but not every tank has pest strains of dinos and I know from personal experience that you absolutely can spread dinos between tanks via cross-contamination, even to mature tanks that have never had a visible outbreak.
I tried the 3% (2mins) on some zoas, they survived but so did the algae

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you can even get your hands on 100% strength hydrogen peroxide easily.

From time to time I dip zoas in roughly 1% made from 9% and seawater, bubbles plenty enough.
I think he meant the dip is 100% 3% H2O2. But that is wrong as well. It should be diluted not full strength. You are correct it is almost impossible to purchase 100% H2O2, its not sold. That would be so corrosive.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dipped my last Zoa in 6% in a bowl of tank water and it bubbled like crazy. Last time I did it was 3%
Every thing I've dipped is alive
If you leave it in long enough it will dissolve ANY organic matter. Just a few minutes and it removes most algae

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My retreating pocilopora was dipped and so was indo milli (both were showing signs of STN and RTN respectively) in 1:5 ration of water and peroxide (3%) - They didn't like it but pocilopora is on path to recovery - As per indo - its no more - I understandably it was a last ditch effort.

I am beginning to believe STN and RTN both are the case of bacteria/ parasite infection.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back