Hydroid problem

Daveouthere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I’ve noticed some stuff on a zoa frag of mine and determined that they are hydroids, what can I do to fix this problem? Do I dip the frag or something? I kind of isolated the frag tonight on my frag rack because it has started to spread on my rocks any ideas or suggestions are extremely appreciated. I’m newer to the hobby so simpler ways the better Thanks

F3952818-1F46-47F6-808A-9FA46E42F869.jpeg 47EFB211-81A1-4DE2-8E5C-7F1D8516891D.jpeg 046E0EB5-B6CA-4631-91B6-0816B8BE819F.jpeg D8A576EE-F732-4D40-9F2A-7F9DF3045DEA.jpeg

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can do one of two things: hydrogen peroxide dip or pull the zoas out and grab some tweezers to pull each hydroid. after this go a little lighter on feeding for a bit because suspended food particles and nutrients keep them alive

OP
OP
Daveouthere

Daveouthere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can do one of two things: hydrogen peroxide dip or pull the zoas out and grab some tweezers to pull each hydroid. after this go a little lighter on feeding for a bit because suspended food particles and nutrients keep them alive
Is there a certain kind of hydrogen peroxide I need to get? And what about the ones that have gotten onto the rocks

OP
OP
Daveouthere

Daveouthere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they will die off if you lower your nutrients and feeding, you can find it at your local dollar store. 10:1 part dip
Okay I’ll dip them tomorrow, so the peroxide will kill the hydroids though? I will start feeding less but what do you mean by lowering nutrients, how do I do that

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can lower nutrients by feeding less, as well as increasing water changes and protein skimming!

Also, keep in mind that your entire tank probably has hydroids now. Not a super big problem, but feeding too much may cause a bloom at some point.

OP
OP
Daveouthere

Daveouthere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can lower nutrients by feeding less, as well as increasing water changes and protein skimming!

Also, keep in mind that your entire tank probably has hydroids now. Not a super big problem, but feeding too much may cause a bloom at some point.
I do weekly water changes and keep the skimmer going. Sounds like my main problem is with feeding. Any tips of feeding corals with reef roids without getting to much in their if that makes sense. Yeah so if I feed less you think they will really die off?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm...maybe instead of dispersal feeding, you can mix it into a paste and spot feed that way? And just....feed less. They will die back, but I'm of the opinion that once introduced to a tank, unless it's been proven to die off (example: ich within four years), it's going to stay in the tank indefinitely.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back