Hydroids on snail shells?

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two snails that have a covering of what I'm assuming are some type of hydroid. These two are the only ones I see affected. Should these two snails be removed and disposed of or can the shells be cleaned without killing the snails?

3EWW8Vd.jpg

n6ehdQI.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes to the correct ID.

Remove the snails, put them in a small container of display water, take a soft tooth brush and clean them, rinse and return.

gabrielw94106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They came in from a shipment. After cleaning them as suggested I never had the issue again. And that was three years ago now. :)
Yes i used a dental pick to remove them from the zoas. They reappeared on a snail again and i caught it before they hopped off and scrubbed the shell. Have yet to see them reappear.

pendulum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two snails that have a covering of what I'm assuming are some type of hydroid. These two are the only ones I see affected. Should these two snails be removed and disposed of or can the shells be cleaned without killing the snails?

3EWW8Vd.jpg

n6ehdQI.jpg
Thanks for this thread! This could be an exact copy of the snail from my tank. Now all scrubbed and fingers crossed.

Back