hydroids, or something else?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a tough one. The way they are stretched out does make it look like a species of soft bodied hydroids but I don't think that is actually the case.
They also don't look like any of the more common strains of aiptasia. The 2 strains I've had both would get over 1" across on the disc and your don't seem to want to grow like that. That said, I suspect they are a less common strain of aiptasia and with an infestation like that, I would recommend a predator.

OP
OP
s_tooz_123

s_tooz_123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: I was able to borrow my wife's phone when she wasn't looking :) to get better images and video. It was interesting to see with her camera that the center "white dot" is actually protruding from the center of the head:
reef_pic_7.JPG

I also grabbed some video of the critters, both in natural state as well as being disturbed with a syringe. I measured the syringe tip to be about 1.25mm and included a photo for visual reference.

reference.JPG

I hope this helps narrow down the ID as I am anxious to get the right eradication method underway.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: I was able to borrow my wife's phone when she wasn't looking :) to get better images and video. It was interesting to see with her camera that the center "white dot" is actually protruding from the center of the head:
reef_pic_7.JPG

I also grabbed some video of the critters, both in natural state as well as being disturbed with a syringe. I measured the syringe tip to be about 1.25mm and included a photo for visual reference.

reference.JPG

I hope this helps narrow down the ID as I am anxious to get the right eradication method underway.
Those are great shots! I hate to contradict what I just wrote, but the protruding feeder in the tentacles are fairly typical of hydroids. It looks like a unusual type of non colonial hydroid.

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reef_pic_7.JPG

reference.JPG

Those are great shots! I hate to contradict what I just wrote, but the protruding feeder in the tentacles are fairly typical of hydroids. It looks like a unusual type of non colonial hydroid.
I have to continue with my researches..., this don't look similar to any I have seen before. and you are right, with that on the middle it don't look like aiptasia at all (wasn't able to see it before)!
Now I'll go back to my 1st answer...., but still can't get it the right way .., it more look like hydroids, which are many SP and few genus...
Can't confirm any aiptasia SP to have it (the protruding feeder in the tentacles) ....
Tomorrow I'll continue to research, and if something appear I'll drop a MSG here ;)

OP
OP
s_tooz_123

s_tooz_123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone----THANK YOU for the identification! I really appreciate all the insight and feedback.

I'll start to work on eradicating these pests as they are covering some of the rocks, and only getting worse. In an earlier post, @SHNICI had indicated Tiger Cowrie as a good choice for hydroid eradication. I also plan to review in detail all the hyrdroid posts @Hasted posted to see if other eradication options are suggested/confirmed. If anyone has any additional suggestions, please let me know.

Thank you again.

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone----THANK YOU for the identification! I really appreciate all the insight and feedback.

I'll start to work on eradicating these pests as they are covering some of the rocks, and only getting worse. In an earlier post, @SHNICI had indicated Tiger Cowrie as a good choice for hydroid eradication. I also plan to review in detail all the hyrdroid posts @Hasted posted to see if other eradication options are suggested/confirmed. If anyone has any additional suggestions, please let me know.

Thank you again.
Let me know if something ends up working for you since I have them too. Much fewer numbers it seems, but still there. :)

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you again.
Can't find anything particular at the moment. about the Cowrie, it's feeding on particular hydroids as I know, I think it was for the regular colonial hydroids.
About Nudi lynx nudibranch I think was eating them, other reports sea hair slug, filefish (if you can train it) can do the job, Cratena peregrina and few more. So as I know only the Lynx is eating most of the different hydroids SP, for the rest can't confirm.
LINK1
LINK2
LINK3 (not sure which particular SP sea hair)

OP
OP
s_tooz_123

s_tooz_123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't find anything particular at the moment. about the Cowrie, it's feeding on particular hydroids as I know, I think it was for the regular colonial hydroids.
About Nudi lynx nudibranch I think was eating them, other reports sea hair slug, filefish (if you can train it) can do the job, Cratena peregrina and few more. So as I know only the Lynx is eating most of the different hydroids SP, for the rest can't confirm.
LINK1
LINK2
LINK3 (not sure which particular SP sea hair)
Thanks for the links.....this is great info. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do before deciding a course of action.

Let me know if something ends up working for you since I have them too. Much fewer numbers it seems, but still there.
Will do! My preference would be to find a predator that can take care of them as it is another excuse to go the LFS and see what's in stock! :) I personally like the idea of the filefish (because who doesn't want a strange looking fish in their tank) but need to read some more before making that decision.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back