Hydrored's Planet 210

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping LPS for years, this is my first time venturing with sticks, and have generally tried keeping nutrients lower. I have noticed since my nutrients are higher coral has been growing and polyp extension has been great, but alk consumption has lowered a bit and coraline growth has slowed down. I hope there comes a day when my nutrients just stay stable, I always seem to have the issue of lower nitrates and higher phosphates

My phosphates need to come down but I'm scared to death to use GFO or LC

I love this hobby but at times it can make me crazy, balancing act with a mixed tank does not help at all either.
I am a convert to LC. I find it much easier to dial than GFO. When PO4 starts creeping toward .2 I hit it with the recommended dose and it binds/removes about .07 to .09 each time and nobody blinks.

With GFO I feel like I need to test all the time. Now just once a week unless I dose. Then I will test the day after.

Most systems are nutrient noisy for the first 12-24 months. The biome -- even with live rock -- is still evolving with different microorganism competitive situations every couple of months. Add to that the change in coral and fish livestock population and whatever new bacteria they bring to the party.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Homewrecker-
47DCBF5B-94F9-41D5-9120-154AE52E6883.jpeg

Walt-
70B94D72-A362-4450-BE2B-4FE50FB6CA06.jpeg

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a convert to LC. I find it much easier to dial than GFO. When PO4 starts creeping toward .2 I hit it with the recommended dose and it binds/removes about .07 to .09 each time and nobody blinks.

With GFO I feel like I need to test all the time. Now just once a week unless I dose. Then I will test the day after.

Most systems are nutrient noisy for the first 12-24 months. The biome -- even with live rock -- is still evolving with different microorganism competitive situations every couple of months. Add to that the change in coral and fish livestock population and whatever new bacteria they bring to the party.

@ScottB

I dosed LC to drop it from .20 to .15 and it lowered it, now it’s right back to .19

I’m guessing this is from bound phosphates, should it hit it again today or just wait until tomorrow to not tick things off?

Nothing seemed bothered by the first dose at all, dosed it to the skimmer neck.

Oddly enough one of the goni’s looked great after dosing

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScottB

I dosed LC to drop it from .20 to .15 and it lowered it, now it’s right back to .19

I’m guessing this is from bound phosphates, should it hit it again today or just wait until tomorrow to not tick things off?
As long as you are confident in your testing rigor with Hanna you can hit it again.

(Apologize if this sounds infantile but...) Are the cuvettes spotless? No smudges or scratches outside or film inside? Nitrile gloves? Little things make a difference with colorimeters.

Coincidentally I am about to hit both my systems tonight with a little LC. Testing tomorrow.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you are confident in your testing rigor with Hanna you can hit it again.

(Apologize if this sounds infantile but...) Are the cuvettes spotless? No smudges or scratches outside or film inside? Nitrile gloves? Little things make a difference with colorimeters.

Coincidentally I am about to hit both my systems tonight with a little LC. Testing tomorrow.

Used a new cuvette and a wiped it down, tested it again and got the same with another cuvette. I guess a little goes a long way with this stuff, the dose was 2.4 ML.

I hit it with 1.2 ml, waited an hour and hit the same dose again.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Corals still look good!

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you! Your tank has been coming along nicely as well!
Thanks!! I unfortunately travel a lot as well and fail to always update my build thread.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!! I unfortunately travel a lot as well and fail to always update my build thread.

Yeah, I’m in the same boat as you know. I’m lucky to be home this week and able to spend some time with the tank. I’m back to traveling for the next two weeks so trying to get all of the maintenance out of the way

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I’m in the same boat as you know. I’m lucky to be home this week and able to spend some time with the tank. I’m back to traveling for the next two weeks so trying to get all of the maintenance out of the way
Exactly what i do squeeze in some maintenance while you can. Rest of the tank on auto pilot besides feedings.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before retiring I was OneWorld Emerald class and was away all the time. My big rule -- learned the hard way -- was NO CHANGES can be made to the tank, the systems, the controller, the livestock, anything, within 48 hours of departure.

Stupid mistakes sometimes don't reveal themselves for a cycle or two.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before retiring I was OneWorld Emerald class and was away all the time. My big rule -- learned the hard way -- was NO CHANGES can be made to the tank, the systems, the controller, the livestock, anything, within 48 hours of departure.

Stupid mistakes sometimes don't reveal themselves for a cycle or two.

I agree and is invaluable advice, even for people leaving on vacation

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my first Battlebox and I actually could not be happier, I can't wait to order another!

Received the following (white plugs)

GO Eden
Rainbow Brite
Laser Melon
Passive Passion
Mondo Rainbow
Reading Rainbow
Julius Lightning

0cb42856-9ffb-4ad4-be83-f34d9c295aa7-jpeg.2212506

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my first Battlebox and I actually could not be happier, I can't wait to order another!

Received the following-

GO Eden
Rainbow Brite
Laser Melon
Passive Passion
Mondo Rainbow
Reading Rainbow
Julius Lightning
Adam really does rock the BattleBoxes. I picked one up when I entered the BC Bonfire grow out contest. I forget, did you enter that contest?

My Bonfire has actually taken off, so I am slinging all kinds of trash talk in the contest thread.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam really does rock the BattleBoxes. I picked one up when I entered the BC Bonfire grow out contest. I forget, did you enter that contest?

My Bonfire has actually taken off, so I am slinging all kinds of trash talk in the contest thread.

I tried to enter but was forgotten about lol, I'll get in the next one for sure. Keep talking that trash lol

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScottB

Does LC do anything to your alk? I tested at .14 P this morning and the tank has already taken 13 ml more of alk and tested on average of .21 lower since the noon and 4 pm test.

Conclusion is higher phosphates actually really does slow down calcification or the last 3 days of small dosing LC eats up alk

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScottB

Does LC do anything to your alk? I tested at .14 P this morning and the tank has already taken 13 ml more of alk and tested on average of .21 lower since the noon and 4 pm test.

Conclusion is higher phosphates actually really does slow down calcification or the last 3 days of small dosing LC eats up alk
I have not made that connection but will keep an eye out for that next time. Unless there is noise, I only test ALK 1-2 times a week.

Intra day, my ALK swings quite a bit. Haven't done it in a while, but 8.5 in the morning and 8.0 in the evening was kinda the norm when running 2-Part. Overnight I dose the ALK. Tank burns it up during photoperiod.

Much less delta when I was running the CaRx but it is busted now so back to 2-part.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not made that connection but will keep an eye out for that next time. Unless there is noise, I only test ALK 1-2 times a week.

Intra day, my ALK swings quite a bit. Haven't done it in a while, but 8.5 in the morning and 8.0 in the evening was kinda the norm when running 2-Part. Overnight I dose the ALK. Tank burns it up during photoperiod.

Much less delta when I was running the CaRx but it is busted now so back to 2-part.

I use a Trident but still test weekly, I’ve never seen it dive like that in a day

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back