HYDROS ATO seems to be an Amazon ATO?

coralnoob22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping I’m correct in noticing that the Hydros ATO looks suspiciously like the cheap one I bought from Amazon, with different electrical connections. Could I just solder the correct connections on and have my Hydros operate to the ATO?

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very similar, but weaker. I am sure it will work though.

Edit: the hydros ato pump is rediculously strong for my 85g system, weaker would not be a negative in my book. Its possible they are the same and the one I got from amazon is just weak though

OP
OP
C

coralnoob22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very similar, but weaker. I am sure it will work though.

Edit: the hydros ato pump is rediculously strong for my 85g system, weaker would not be a negative in my book. Its possible they are the same and the one I got from amazon is just weak though
What connectors would I need? Is it really as simple as splicing the connectors in, putting one sensor in the sense port and the one for pump in a drive port?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What connectors would I need? Is it really as simple as splicing the connectors in, putting one sensor in the sense port and the one for pump in a drive port?
The Hydros ATO output type will work with any Hydros compatible water level sensor and pump. They do offer a kit with a pump and sensor and some tubing and anti syphon device. You can also get everything in the kit individually. I use a Hydros simple dosing pump for my ATO pump and a optical sensor. My DI reservoir is in my garage 35ft from the tank. I ran the tubing up through the attic so the Hydros ATO pump would not work for that but the dosing pump works like a champ.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will depend on the pump. If it is a 12v pump and you want to use a drive port it will have to be less than the maximum current rating on the particular drive port you want to use. The ones on the X2 and X4 will not provide as much current as the ones on the XD, X10 and Kraken. The X2 and X4 maximum from a single port is 1 am or 12 watts if the other port is not in use. Both ports running together cannot exceed 1.5 amps. I do not like using the max on any output. I try and keep it at or under 75% of maximum rating. The X10 and XD can handle 1.5 amps each or a total of 3 amps. The Kraken can handle 2.5 amps each or total of 4 amps. The Kraken has 4 drive ports. The X2, X4 and X10 have 2 drive ports. The XD has 3 drive ports. Here is a link to the drive port connector https://www.coralvue.com/2-pin-metal-female-gx12-connector-for-hydros-drive-port .

OP
OP
C

coralnoob22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will depend on the pump. If it is a 12v pump and you want to use a drive port it will have to be less than the maximum current rating on the particular drive port you want to use. The ones on the X2 and X4 will not provide as much current as the ones on the XD, X10 and Kraken. The X2 and X4 maximum from a single port is 1 am or 12 watts if the other port is not in use. Both ports running together cannot exceed 1.5 amps. I do not like using the max on any output. I try and keep it at or under 75% of maximum rating. The X10 and XD can handle 1.5 amps each or a total of 3 amps. The Kraken can handle 2.5 amps each or total of 4 amps. The Kraken has 4 drive ports. The X2, X4 and X10 have 2 drive ports. The XD has 3 drive ports. Here is a link to the drive port connector https://www.coralvue.com/2-pin-metal-female-gx12-connector-for-hydros-drive-port .
Thank you for this information, I appreciate it a lot. I have another question about the optical sensor, how would it know which sensor is the high vs the low sensor? Is it something physical/mechanical? Is it a voltage thing?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this information, I appreciate it a lot. I have another question about the optical sensor, how would it know which sensor is the high vs the low sensor? Is it something physical/mechanical? Is it a voltage thing?
The ATO only uses one optical sensor. When it goes dry it refills till it is wet again or the maximum on time has been exceeded and run past max on time is off. I would suggest using these as it will limit the amount of top off that can be added at a single top off. This will prevent the pump from running indefinitely if there is an issue with the sensor. You can also set it to send an alert if the maximum on time is reached. The output will stay off until the sensor goes wet or you intervene and override the output to on or off and then back to auto.

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my Hydros Control 4 for a few years now (3-4) and I really have not taken advantage of it. It's been plugged in taking power without anything connect to it. My Tunze ATO failed and I figured that I should look at using this controller.

Questions since my experience with the Hydros has been kind of mixed. I have a small 13.5G Nano.

#1. Does the controller support using the Hydros ATO with two optical sensors (or the rope sensor) to prevent overflows? I saw that Danny, above, mentioned that only one optical sensor is supported. I prefer some level of redundancy.
#2. Is this ATO a bit to strong? I currently use about 1/4 gallon of water per day.
#3. If the answers to the previous questions are not great, then would I be better suited to buy the cheaper MagTool Optical Sensor AUTO TOP Off(ATO) and then pick up a Hydros water sensor to control the wifi strip in order to cut the power if the primary sensor fails?
#4. How is the reliability on the Hydros Control 4 units? What benefits do I really get from using the Hydros ATO in my scenario vs. the MagTool? Does it tell me how often it goes on and off or any cooler metrics than I saw in the past?

Thank you in advance!

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add a redundant sensor and leak sensor if you want to the Hydros ATO. They also make a triple-level sensor with the 3 sensors bundled into 1. In the ATO configuration, you would use the dependency function to add your second sensor. I also have added a sensor to my ATO container to alert me when it is running low and needs to be filled. The triple-level sensor is linked below.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my Hydros Control 4 for a few years now (3-4) and I really have not taken advantage of it. It's been plugged in taking power without anything connect to it. My Tunze ATO failed and I figured that I should look at using this controller.

Questions since my experience with the Hydros has been kind of mixed. I have a small 13.5G Nano.

#1. Does the controller support using the Hydros ATO with two optical sensors (or the rope sensor) to prevent overflows? I saw that Danny, above, mentioned that only one optical sensor is supported. I prefer some level of redundancy.
#2. Is this ATO a bit to strong? I currently use about 1/4 gallon of water per day.
#3. If the answers to the previous questions are not great, then would I be better suited to buy the cheaper MagTool Optical Sensor AUTO TOP Off(ATO) and then pick up a Hydros water sensor to control the wifi strip in order to cut the power if the primary sensor fails?
#4. How is the reliability on the Hydros Control 4 units? What benefits do I really get from using the Hydros ATO in my scenario vs. the MagTool? Does it tell me how often it goes on and off or any cooler metrics than I saw in the past?

Thank you in advance!
With a nano tank you might want to use the Hydros simple doser instead. I use it on my 42 gallon tank and I have since Hydros release them about 2 years ago. It is in my garage with my DI reservoir. To control the ATO pump I use a water level sensor. To keep it from overfilling I have a maximum on time setup. If it runs that long it will stop and send an alert. It will not start again until I intervene or the level sensor goes to wet condition. You can also use the minimum off time to limit the amount of top off water that can bee added in a given time frame. You can add other sensors if you use the generic output type instead of the ATO output type. I use the generic output type on mine, Here is a couple of screenshots of the settings. The reason I said the dosing pump might be a better fit is it has a lot lower flow rate. It is around 43ml a minute so most of you time settings can be set in minutes instead of seconds. As you can see I have two leak detectors and the low level sensor in my DI reservoir as inputs along with the water level sensor in the sump. All inputs have to be in the active state for the input to come on.

IMG_9948.png

IMG_9949.png

OP
OP
C

coralnoob22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of another sensor in the ATO to remind me to fill it! My ATO is working flawlessly right now and I’d recommend the Hydros kit they sell online if i had to do it again

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO’s are prone to problems, so redundancy is critical, IMO. I have an Osmolator as my main, then a Hydros ATO below it as a backup, then a Hydros level sensor above everything as a kill switch. They all fail both ways.

Mr. GoodStuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add a redundant sensor and leak sensor if you want to the Hydros ATO. They also make a triple-level sensor with the 3 sensors bundled into 1. In the ATO configuration, you would use the dependency function to add your second sensor. I also have added a sensor to my ATO container to alert me when it is running low and needs to be filled. The triple-level sensor is linked below.

How? It does not allow me to add an INPUT under the "Depends On" section?

With a nano tank you might want to use the Hydros simple doser instead. I use it on my 42 gallon tank and I have since Hydros release them about 2 years ago. It is in my garage with my DI reservoir. To control the ATO pump I use a water level sensor. To keep it from overfilling I have a maximum on time setup. If it runs that long it will stop and send an alert. It will not start again until I intervene or the level sensor goes to wet condition. You can also use the minimum off time to limit the amount of top off water that can bee added in a given time frame. You can add other sensors if you use the generic output type instead of the ATO output type. I use the generic output type on mine, Here is a couple of screenshots of the settings. The reason I said the dosing pump might be a better fit is it has a lot lower flow rate. It is around 43ml a minute so most of you time settings can be set in minutes instead of seconds. As you can see I have two leak detectors and the low level sensor in my DI reservoir as inputs along with the water level sensor in the sump. All inputs have to be in the active state for the input to come on.

IMG_9948.png

IMG_9949.png
How would you recommend I setup the ATO with 2 sensors? I just want to use the one optical sensor to control the ATO but have a secondary sensor higher up incase the pump gets stuck on or something that will shut it off when reached?

If I set the ATO pump to "GENERIC" with input count 2 it doesn't seem like that would work?

Input Count 2
Input 1 ATO1, active when DRY
Input 2 ATO2, active when DRY

If I set input 2 to WET wouldn't it just turn the pump on if that higher sensor is reached? And if it's set to DRY wouldn't it just keep running the pump until it's reached?

I want to have the ATO pump active when input 1 is DRY and inactive when input 1 is WET. And then have the second sensor as a failsafe.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How? It does not allow me to add an INPUT under the "Depends On" section?

How would you recommend I setup the ATO with 2 sensors? I just want to use the one optical sensor to control the ATO but have a secondary sensor higher up incase the pump gets stuck on or something that will shut it off when reached?

If I set the ATO pump to "GENERIC" with input count 2 it doesn't seem like that would work?

Input Count 2
Input 1 ATO1, active when DRY
Input 2 ATO2, active when DRY

If I set input 2 to WET wouldn't it just turn the pump on if that higher sensor is reached? And if it's set to DRY wouldn't it just keep running the pump until it's reached?

I want to have the ATO pump active when input 1 is DRY and inactive when input 1 is WET. And then have the second sensor as a failsafe.
A depends on has to be an output but you can use a generic output with a single input to accomplish this.

I use a generic output for my ATO output. It has more that two inputs just set the active mode for both to dry and make sure that the combiner mode is AND and not OR or it will not work right. If want I can look at what you have if you post some screenshots of the outputs.

Mr. GoodStuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A depends on has to be an output but you can use a generic output with a single input to accomplish this.

I use a generic output for my ATO output. It has more that two inputs just set the active mode for both to dry and make sure that the combiner mode is AND and not OR or it will not work right. If want I can look at what you have if you post some screenshots of the outputs.
That's what I was thinking but if I guess my thinking was since the combiner is AND wouldn't it want to see both inputs as WET before it shuts off the pump? So if input1 and input2 is active when dry wouldn't it just keep filling until input1 AND input2 is wet? Or am I understanding this wrong?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking but if I guess my thinking was since the combiner is AND wouldn't it want to see both inputs as WET before it shuts off the pump? So if input1 and input2 is active when dry wouldn't it just keep filling until input1 AND input2 is wet? Or am I understanding this wrong?
On a AND statement both inputs have to be in active mode for the output to come on. So as soon as one of the inputs goes wet it will turn off. The OR statement would be if either input is in the active state the output would be on.

Mr. GoodStuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a AND statement both inputs have to be in active mode for the output to come on. So as soon as one of the inputs goes wet it will turn off. The OR statement would be if either input is in the active state the output would be o

So if I setup like this and input ATO turns WET it’ll shut the pump off even though ATO HI will be DRY?

And theoretically assuming input ATO would fail in DRY state it would fill until ATO HI turns WET?

Attachments

• IMG_7576.png
    IMG_7576.png
    108.9 KB · Views: 9

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I setup like this and input ATO turns WET it’ll shut the pump off even though ATO HI will be DRY?

And theoretically assuming input ATO would fail in DRY state it would fill until ATO HI turns WET?
Yes, since both have to be dry for the output to turn on. The combiner mode applies to the active state. So it takes input 1 and input 2 to be active for the output to be on. If either are inactive the output is off. I have 5 inputs on it. One is the ATO sensor, then to leak detectors, then a low level sensor in the DI reservoir and then a sump overfull sensor. So yours will not have the leak detectors or the low level sensor.

IMG_0751.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.1%
Back