Hydros ATO

Panda Jerk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Hydros ATO pump but only have an extra triple sensor. Can this sensor be used with to trigger ATO or does it have to be the standard sensor? Thanks.

surlytx

Reefing Smarter, Not Harder (For Retirement)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Hydros ATO pump but only have an extra triple sensor. Can this sensor be used with to trigger ATO or does it have to be the standard sensor? Thanks.
I use the triple sensor with mine.

OP
OP
Panda Jerk

Panda Jerk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the triple sensor with mine.
Interesting. My sump has a triple to monitor level high and low. Ideally I’d leverage that sensor to trigger ATO but I think my issue is when dry it also kills the return pump, thus filling the sump with tank water removing the need for ATO to run. So either split into another sensor or rethink the pump dependency on this sensor

Last edited:

surlytx

Reefing Smarter, Not Harder (For Retirement)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATO is configured following the Hydros directions. Dry reading starts the pump and wet reading stops the pump.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. My sump has a triple to monitor level high and low. Ideally, I would use the low mark to trigger the ato to fill until maybe the middle sensor is wet. I just some see a way to leverage the sensor in such a way. Mind sharing your setup? I think my issue is when dry it also kills the return pump, thus filling the sump with tank water removing the need for ATO to run.
Why would you have the return setup to turn off when the ATO sensor is dry. The ATO sensor dry will happen to trigger the ATO on. If you want a low level sensor for the pump use a separate sensor for that. I have a low level sensor, ATO sensor and a high level sensor on mine. The high level sensor will turn off the skimmer. The low level sensor alerts but I don't have it set to turn anything off. My Sicce will power down if it runs dry anyway.

OP
OP
Panda Jerk

Panda Jerk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you have the return setup to turn off when the ATO sensor is dry.
Yeah I get it… I was trying to piggyback the actions on one sensor, or hoping Hydros could expose all three optical sensors. It cannot.

Really though, to do what I was hoping would require expanded dependency condition rules to say if dry > XX sec then run ATO to wet, but if dry > YY sec then ATO is not pumping or were really leaking so shut return off… something like that.

Thanks again

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I get it… I was trying to piggyback the actions on one sensor, or hoping Hydros could expose all three optical sensors. It cannot.

Really though, to do what I was hoping would require expanded dependency condition rules to say if dry > XX sec then run ATO to wet, but if dry > YY sec then ATO is not pumping or were really leaking so shut return off… something like that.

Thanks again
I can see if I can come up with a way of using it to stop your return without the normal stop of the return during ATO if you want. It may take some time to test and see if it will work.

OP
OP
Panda Jerk

Panda Jerk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see if I can come up with a way of using it to stop your return without the normal stop of the return during ATO if you want. It may take some time to test and see if it will work.
It would be ideal and if you have the time, sure! I’m still familiarizing myself with the Hydros system. For now I did break the pump dependency so I can test ATO some more. BTW, I’m still in leak test and dialing in phase with tap water so it’s a lot easier to jack around with things now.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be ideal and if you have the time, sure! I’m still familiarizing myself with the Hydros system. For now I did break the pump dependency so I can test ATO some more. BTW, I’m still in leak test and dialing in phase with tap water so it’s a lot easier to jack around with things now.
Do you have a leak detector for the Hydros yet. There is a input in the return output so that it will shut off the pump if a leak is detected. Also on your ATO are you using the advanced settings to limit the ATO and send an alert if it fails to fill in the maximum time set. Here is my ATO output settings. I used a generic output since I have several inputs controlling it but the main interest right now would be the minimum and maximum times settings in advanced settings. You will have to determine what is best for those depending on you evaporation rates. Check you ATO log to get an idea of how often it has been running and how long each time. The minimum off time and maximum on time will limit how much top off can be added in a given amount of time. So if you do get a leak chances are this is how you will first find out unless it is a major leak. Most leaks start out as slow leaks though. Here is a couple of screenshot of my ATO settings. I use a Hydros simple doser as my ATO pump so my time settings are in minutes instead of seconds.

IMG_0239.png

IMG_0240.png

OP
OP
Panda Jerk

Panda Jerk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome info thanks for sharing. I need runtime at temp to see what the evap looks like, but it will swing a lot as summer approaches. I’m in Aridzona… so it’ll be months until I have max evap info. I’ll look into the settings you shared.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome info thanks for sharing. I need runtime at temp to see what the evap looks like, but it will swing a lot as summer approaches. I’m in Aridzona… so it’ll be months until I have max evap info. I’ll look into the settings you shared.
It took about a year to dial mine in. The maximum off time will not control the pump but will just send an alert if it is exceeded. If you do AWC this will catch overfills since it will take longer for the ATO to run again. I have a over full sensor and a low level sensor and the ATO limits have caught issues with the AWC before either of the level sensors have. The ATO will not run for too long or it will run too long and trigger an alert for it. If you set run past max on time to off it will turn of the ATO if max on time is exceeded. This will prevent it from staying on if there is ever an issue with the level sensor also. It will stay off until the level sensor goes to full state or you intervene by overriding the ATO output to on or off and then back to auto mode.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back